Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default is there a hole in RT12's mids around human voice frequencies?

Bought a pair of used Polk RT12 recently, and wondering if anyone had them and noticed how much quieter men's vocals sound compared to other speakers.

I also have ancient Kenwood 888Z (yeah, those almost decorative kabukies with 16 inches white woofers), and when playing "Jungle" from "Out of the blue" by Electric Light Orchestra, I hear voice clear and loud on Kenwoods, and almost can't recognize any words with Polk RT12.

Were they targeted for Home Theater only and expected to be used with central channel only, and not suited very well for 2-channel stereo? Or it's just my particular speakers happen to have a "hole" around human voice frequencies?

Are there any experiments (without using any measurement equipment which I don't have) you could suggest to better figure out what the problem exactly is, and how it could be possible to fix (except getting rid of Polks).

Quote Originally Posted by earlyadopter View Post
    Bought a pair of used Polk RT12 recently, and wondering if anyone had them and noticed how much quieter men's vocals sound compared to other speakers.

I also have ancient Kenwood 888Z (yeah, those almost decorative kabukies with 16 inches white woofers), and when playing "Jungle" from "Out of the blue" by Electric Light Orchestra, I hear voice clear and loud on Kenwoods, and almost can't recognize any words with Polk RT12.

Were they targeted for Home Theater only and expected to be used with central channel only, and not suited very well for 2-channel stereo? Or it's just my particular speakers happen to have a "hole" around human voice frequencies?

Are there any experiments (without using any measurement equipment which I don't have) you could suggest to better figure out what the problem exactly is, and how it could be possible to fix (except getting rid of Polks).
    I would check that both woofers and tweeters are functioning. Remove and test them individually.
    Looking at the schematics, there were significant revisions made. Might be a good idea to check your crossovers and see if you have the original or revised version. Changes may have been made to address the perceived problems you have.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Something is seriously wrong in your setup somewhere. Is sound coming from all 4 MWs and both tweeters?
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Thread Information