Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks for chiming in G1. I'll have to hang onto this info.

Hey Bubbles, G1 has RTA 12B Xovers for sale in the flea market as I write this.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Quote Originally Posted by geppy1 View Post
    Here is the way the RTA 12 story went. Remember this is a screwy series and sometimes what was on the shelf went into the speaker

RTA12s 1979-1980 6500 drivers with Peerless from Denmark
    Short cabinet on stands NO rolled off drivers and one croosover on top with fuse

RTA12B 1981 -early 1984 6600X drivers with Peerless
    Tall cabinet with rolled off outer drivers and two crossovers with fuse

RTA12B Late 1983 early 1984 6600x drivers SL 1000
    Tall cabinet with rolled off outer drivers and two crossovers with fuse Started to use treelocks instead of pins for the hat

RTA 12C Early 1984-mid 1985 6600x with SL 1000
    Tall cabinet with rolled off outer drivers and two crossovers with fuse

RTA12C Mid 1985-1987 6501 drivers with SL 2000
    Tall cabinet with rolled off outer drivers and two crossovers with poly switch

NOTES
    1) I think the early 12C won a Hi Fi Grand Prix Award

2) The crossover from 1981-87 RTA 12B and RTA 12C is the same with the exception of the fuse being replaced with a polyswitch and resistor. Thery did use different types/brands of caps but the values stayed the same.

3) There are late RTA 12Bs that have a higher serial number (on back) then early RTA 12Cs and the speakers are identical.
    Early 1984 is where this occured (18,000-19,000 ish Early 1984 is a mess

4) The Polk speaker replacement chart is not always right

5) My favorite, From 1981 to late 1983 no less then 3 different Peerless tweeters were used (same xover( and they all sound different.
    Thanks,

I thought that may have been your x-overs on the Bay. This helps a good bit. Looks like it would be ptretty easy to upgrade the originals by replacing the x-over from a B or C. wouldn't seem like driver replacement would be necessary for this since the same basic crossover used roughly 5 different tweets and a couple to 3 different MW's. it would seem that all the driver were electrically very similar, at least as a match to the crossover.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

You are not going to believe this. I am changing/ redoing mine and today I received a whole set of parts from original 12Cs ANOTHER VARIATION I have never seen this I am reviewing this and checking parts dates but mid 19,000 with SL 2000s 6501s and a fuse REALLY it appears real. FYI polk often seems to have made xovers months ahead of time on RTA 12s and then had them sitting

Quote Originally Posted by geppy1 View Post
    You are not going to believe this. I am changing/ redoing mine and today I received a whole set of parts from original 12Cs ANOTHER VARIATION I have never seen this I am reviewing this and checking parts dates but mid 19,000 with SL 2000s 6501s and a fuse REALLY it appears real. FYI polk often seems to have made xovers months ahead of time on RTA 12s and then had them sitting
    Amazing. Do you think someone got in and "customized" them, or they came from the factory like that?

On a side note, I've assumed that higher model numbers for MW's = more recent designs. For example, early 12's came with 6500's and later versions with the 6600X. Yet the last version came with 6501's. Any insight into this?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Not sure about the driver numbering but i know they do all sound different. Above I stated

RTA12C Mid 1985-1987 6501 drivers with SL 2000
    Tall cabinet with rolled off outer drivers and two crossovers with poly switch

Based on parts i received from an original pair yesterday item I need to change that slightly Serial 21,000 late Jan of 85 SL2000 with a FUSE

RTA12C Early 1985-1987 6501 drivers with SL 2000
    Tall cabinet with rolled off outer drivers and two crossovers with fuse (early) poly switch at leat by Dec of 85

I am new to the Polk Forum and new to Polk speakers. I just picked up a pair of RTA12's and not sure which model I have. The tweeter is SL2000-T Silver Coil Dome with an inspection date of 1/1988. Neither speaker is labeled right or left. I'm assuming I have model C but after reading this thread I'm not too sure. If they are required to be set up R&L how do I determine which is which?

Pictures below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	123_2342.JPG‎
Views:	52
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	90376   Click image for larger version

Name:	123_2341.JPG‎
Views:	39
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	90375   Click image for larger version

Name:	123_2340.JPG‎
Views:	41
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	90374  

Welcome to the forum.
    Geppy seems to be the resident expert on this series. maybe he will respond. Chances are you will need to supply a little more info. I checked the schematics available in the sticky and do not find a 2 ohm resistor in any of them. That is the only part of the crossover I could make out a value on. congrats on owning a great pair of speakers.

Thanks Mr.B
    Here's a picture of a speaker.
    These needed major cleaning and repair to one bottom riser.
    Attached Images  

I see neither a polyswitch nor a fuse. Maybe someone has "worked" on those. How do they sound? Any issues?

Re: left and right speakers, try them out and then swap sides. When you have them positioned correctly, i.e. left on left etc., you'll be able to hear it. The imaging will be dramatically improved with a better, more open soundstage with increased overall clarity.

It looks to have the Poly-switch. The little blue deal next to the 2 ohm resistor.

Yes, they have the poly switch.
    They also measure 6.1 - 6.2 ohms resistance.
    I only heard them when the seller played them. Been cleaning them and repairing the base on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
    It looks to have the Poly-switch. The little blue deal next to the 2 ohm resistor.
    Didn't notice it as it looks different, smaller, than the one that was on my 2.3TL's.

I just removed the round plastic speaker terminal housing on one of the spkrs.
    It has a xover mounted to it and has a date of Feb 1988.

There was no serial numbers in the space provided for it on this terminal housing.
    However, I noticed a label in the upper right corner on the back of each spkr and it
    has a number with L12 XXXXXX on one and the other R12 XXXXXX. I assuming this is the Left and Right I need.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    ...L12 XXXXXX on one and the other R12 XXXXXX. I assuming this is the Left and Right I need.
    Correct.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Yes as nightfall indicated Those are very very late ones,like right before they stopped What are the serial numbers?? 27,000??

These numbers came from a label located on the top RH corner of rear of the cabinet:
    Polk Audio
    Monitor Series
    L12 23563
    R12 23483

The tweeters had their own (same) label that begins with (I believe) 22 XXXXX
    There were no serial numbers located on the speaker terminal where a space is provided for it.

So are the RTA12C's a 4 ohm speaker like the website says or are they 8 ohm?

The SL2000 tweeters on eBay are listed as 8 ohm.
    My RTAs measure 6.1/6.2 which is where most 8 ohm speakers test; as resistance and resistivity are two difference animals.

I just came across some RTA 12C Polks on Craigslist and remembered reading this thread. The posting has some good pictures of the speakers if it helps your discussion in distinguishing between the A, B, & C's..

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/4129335440.html
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitism View Post
    I just came across some RTA 12C Polks on Craigslist and remembered reading this thread. The posting has some good pictures of the speakers if it helps your discussion in distinguishing between the A, B, & C's..

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/4129335440.html
    Mine are exactly like those, down to the SL1000 tweeter. Those are priced high, given that the Xovers haven't been touched since they rolled off the assembly line. Otherwise they look to be in good shape.

Thread Information