Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 7A - mid speaker moves like crazy

I've recently bought some 7A's. I'm not sure how old they are, but they have a single fuse. My question is this: The middle speaker really moves a lot, particularly when playing sound with very low frequencies (eg. an outdoor recording with some wind noise), much more than the woofer. Could it be that they've been modified and/or they're not sending the right frequencies to the right speaker? I doubt this since they don't sound especially strange -- not as bass heavy as I would like perhaps, but nothing obviously odd. (I'm using a Yamaha HTR-6190 amp.)

Just thought I'd pose the question nonetheless. Those mid speakers REALLY move a lot.

The bottom speaker is not a speaker, it is a passive radiator and the PR does not move like the MW.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Member Sales Rating: (10)

As nightfall says, the radiator doesn't move too much; it does in response to the movement of the mid woofer. As a test, gently press inward on the large radiator--you'll see the MW push out at you (and slowly return toward its resting place). When there's bass energy in the music (at healthy volumes), that MW will in fact be moving quite a bit.

Here's a clip of Lasareath blasting the ever-loving snot out his 1.2TLs which should look a lot like what you're seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHLKERU0wo

Also could be the source material. Some turntables I've had can send some wicked rumble thru the woofers if you don't use the low cut filter...

Quote Originally Posted by agfrost View Post
    As nightfall says, the radiator doesn't move too much; it does in response to the movement of the mid woofer. As a test, gently press inward on the large radiator--you'll see the MW push out at you (and slowly return toward its resting place). When there's bass energy in the music (at healthy volumes), that MW will in fact be moving quite a bit.

Here's a clip of Lasareath blasting the ever-loving snot out his 1.2TLs which should look a lot like what you're seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHLKERU0wo
    +1^^^^^^^^^
    Check for air tightness. Press in on the passive radiator. If the driver returns to it's regular position in less than 3 seconds, you've got an air leak.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

As mentioned the MW is the only "active" bass driver in that speaker. As such, you'd expect a LOT more movement from it than the Passive Radiator beneath it. Be CAREFUL NOT to CLIP your amp!

Weak bass could be:

1. You're a BASS HEAD, and normal bass sounds weak to you.
    2. That Yamaha is not the most powerful or best receiver to power a set of 7s with.
    3. There is actually leakage, as described above. In which case you need to reinforce the seals on the speakers to return the sealed integrity so that the PRadiator can do its job.

Only you can know which of the above is causing the problem. In the case of 1 and 2. The problem DOES NOT lie with the speaker.

Good Luck!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Make sure the wiring is in phase...a simple goof that happens sometimes!

Welcome to Club Polk & enjoy those wonderful speakers - play around with your bass control & see if you hear much difference & put your ears to the test & tell us what ya think - there are lots of us here that enjoy the 7's ENJOY
    Last edited by boston1450; 09-24-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    The bottom speaker is not a speaker, it is a passive radiator and the PR does not move like the MW.
    Huh. How about that, eh? Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by westmassguy View Post
    +1^^^^^^^^^
    Check for air tightness. Press in on the passive radiator. If the driver returns to it's regular position in less than 3 seconds, you've got an air leak.
    I'll give that a try as soon as I get home. Thank you (and agfrost) for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Weak bass could be:

1. You're a BASS HEAD, and normal bass sounds weak to you.
    2. That Yamaha is not the most powerful or best receiver to power a set of 7s with.
    3. There is actually leakage, as described above. In which case you need to reinforce the seals on the speakers to return the sealed integrity so that the PRadiator can do its job.
    I'd call myself a medium Bass Head. I'm not a techno/hip hop guy, mostly rock and experimental, jazz, african, reggae. My previous speakers were -- or are, just need to get a woofer fixed up -- my beloved Paradigm Titans which I bought circa 1995. They certainly were a bit more punchy in the bass department.

When I tested these 7A's in the used stereo store, I used an older less powerful Yamaha -- probably c. 2002 vs my 2008-ish HTR-6190. They sounded more bassy then, and they weren't snugged into a corner or anything. That amp was new enough to have HDMI but old enough to have actually bass and treble knobs. I don't trust digital interface tone controls!

Quote Originally Posted by Msabot1 View Post
    Make sure the wiring is in phase...a simple goof that happens sometimes!
    Definitely phased correctly. I'm quite careful about that, and I've been at others' homes and noticed by the sound that their speakers were out of phase. Not a bad tip though, thanks.

Thread Information