Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default How could this not damage something?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-S...item3385a03229

"excellent pair of polk audio sda 1s these are in perfect functional and very nice cosmetic condition with a few nicks on the edges...please notice the inter connect was removed so it could be straight wired to an amp ."

So why would you want to do this and why wouldn't it cause something to cook?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hahaha... why?

excellent pair of polk audio sda 1s these are in perfect functional and very nice cosmetic condition with a few nicks on the edges...please notice the inter connect was removed so it could be straight wired to an amp . I am in central Florida and would be willing to meet for pick up for the cost of fuel. please message me first if you need this option.

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

I just messaged the guy for the reasoning behind omitting the I/C cable.W/O it you get just a pair of ass kicking SDA speakers w/o that desired effect.I'm curious on his response and if it's only because he doesn't have the cable then it's a lame rap.I might be wrong but even here people are looking for the i/c cable and using their speakers w/o them.

Cable omitted because the interconnect jacks are gone, with the wires dangling randomly out of the cabinet.

Actually, not a problem on the 1B, since the interconnect carries the full-range, full-voltage signal from one cabinet to the other. You could (and perhaps they did) simply connect the right cabinet sda wire to the left channel speaker wire, and the left cabinet SDA wire to the right channel speaker wire. That still leaves one wire from each SDA socket unused. God knows what they actually did with that wiring. Maybe they just strung generic speaker wire between the two cabinets, and twisted it to the SDA socket wiring.

In any event, $500 for 1Bs is GROSSLY above market value. Sonically, it's an outright bargain, but the market value is way less than asking price. First Guess: Trolling for idiots and hoping for a bite, while "best offer" of considerably less will likely buy the speakers.

Things people do to nice stuff.
    Would not be hard to fix but why not just buy monitor 10 or something.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

At any rate the bass had to be little to none with the hole in the cabinet. I guess I had the vision that he hooked up the IC wires to another amp channel like channel B or something. Just when you thought you've seen it all....

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Sad day for Polk SDA...

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    Things people do to nice stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    Sad day for Polk SDA...
    I used to see this sort of stuff every week in the auto repair business. EVERYBODY has a brother-in-law's son's girlfriend's father's cousin who thinks he knows something about cars...but really should have his fingers broken with his own wrenches.

Really, this is pretty mild. Would take almost nothing to fix. But that still leaves the seller wanting five bills for a three-bill pair of speakers.

First Guess: The seller is not the person who "modified", operated and listened to the speakers. She's some pawn-shop or storage-garage owner trying to unload something she knows nothing about--and chose to make-up some story about connecting them directly to the amplifier as an excuse for the butchery.

Don't think I'm being hard on SDA 1Bs; they're an EXCELLENT speaker except for the common-ground amplifier requirement. The usual mods to crossovers, damping material, RD0 tweeters and the like make them outright superb. (I am, of course, biased. My own Polks are 1B, purchased new in '86 or thereabouts.)
    Last edited by Schurkey; 09-26-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    At any rate the bass had to be little to none with the hole in the cabinet.
    Or they were using it as a power port and turned it into a bass reflex system...

I did get a reply from this guy and I should have c/p because I don't think your going to believe this one. He says they were his fathers"test speakers" what ever that means and most people liked them that way and for the price he thinks they are a bargin. If they won't sell he might return them to stock and relist for a higher price.I kid you not....

Truth is stranger than fiction, is it not?
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    I did get a reply from this guy and I should have c/p because I don't think your going to believe this one. He says they were his fathers"test speakers" what ever that means and most people liked them that way and for the price he thinks they are a bargin. If they won't sell he might return them to stock and relist for a higher price.I kid you not....
    I think the only thing being "Tested" was his own stupidity. Even if he didn't have the owners manual, there's a little diagram on the back of each SDA showing how to hook them up. A Blade/Blade cable could be easily made from male spade connectors and a length of speaker wire. There's no logical reason to remove the sockets.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

to each his own, if you don't like it, don't buy them:-D

Quote Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
    I used to see this sort of stuff every week in the auto repair business. EVERYBODY has a brother-in-law's son's girlfriend's father's cousin who thinks he knows something about cars...but really should have his fingers broken with his own wrenches.
    Just finished fixing a Porsche 928 that the owner's kid tried putting a cold air/K&N thingy on, what a mess. AND expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by kve777 View Post
    Just finished fixing a Porsche 928 that the owner's kid tried putting a cold air/K&N thingy on, what a mess. AND expensive.
    Don't get me started on headers, aftermarket carbs, aftermarket intake manifolds...for engines that only run on seven cylinders; or the transmission has one too-few gears..

Thread Information