Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default Universally "Good" Bipole Surrounds for use with Non-Matching Fronts

    After much experimentation, I have decided on a front soundstage for my HT system:

    Fronts: Usher Audio Dancer Mini 2 DMD's
    Center: Usher Audio BE-616 DMD

    Unfortunately, Usher does not make bipole surrounds, and I do not want to use their bookshelf speakers. I want wall-mountable bipoles, preferably with midrange drivers and tweeters firing in both directions. I would prefer a "lively" sound signature rather than warm to match with the Usher DMD's and to add some excitement to the mix. Budget is <1k, but closer to 500 would be nice.


    So what are some universally good bipoles for this application?


    I am currently considering the Klipsch Reference Series RS-62ii's for the following reasons:

    - Tweeter and midrange firing in both directions.
    - The Klipsch horns should be nice and lively.
    - Slick semi-circle look when wall-mounted.

    Concerns about the Klipschs:

    - Are they too bright?
    - Will the horns disperse as well as domes, or are they more directional?


    Thanks for any recommendations!
    Last edited by falconcry72; 09-26-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Def Tech or B&W would likely match fairly well.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Def Tech or B&W would likely match fairly well.
    The only B&W speaker that would work is the DS3 in their 600 series, but I'm not sold on its quality. A bipole in the CM series would be awesome, but they don't make one.

    The best Def Tech speaker for the job is the SR-8080BP, which looks very nice. It will be on my short list for sure.

    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Last edited by falconcry72; 09-26-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Honestly, you could also consider the FXi500 as well. I know its not dual woofer, but I think that series is voiced very similarly to the Usher house sound. For that matter, the newer versions just might be a better match with those DMD tweeters.


    FX1000's would be exactly what you would want me thinks...
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    ...FX1000's would be exactly what you would want me thinks...
    What about FXiA6's?
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    What about FXiA6's?
    Yeah, those are the new versions of the FX500i or wherever that i is. You seemed to want the dual woofer design, and the FX1000 is the only one that offers it in the RT line.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Yeah, those are the new versions of the FX500i or wherever that i is. You seemed to want the dual woofer design, and the FX1000 is the only one that offers it in the RT line.
    Gotcha.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    I agree, based on how good the F/X500 is, I think the F/X1000 would "nail it" in just about any HT setup....Yeah, voice matching and timber is one thing but I don't know that it gets much better unless you spend a lot more money....the used prices on the F/X500 & F/X500i sets are great deals....however, finding a set of the 1000s may take some patience. There is a guy the i was in contact awhile back on the Charlotte craigslist that has an RT5000 set with out the sub modules. He was willing to sell the pieces seperate at one time...but, he's had the post up for months and now they are on eBay. Less than 23Hrs left...Maybe if they don't sell he might be willing to break up the set?

    On the flip..... I think the KEF Q800ds is a surround I want to hear in a good setup. The wide wide dispersion of the Uni-Q drivers might make for something special in terms of a surround speaker. However, the low end specs are not the best out there nor is the price...but it sounds like a nice speaker. I hope to get a change to check these out soon.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

    2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    ... I think the KEF Q800ds is a surround I want to hear in a good setup. The wide wide dispersion of the Uni-Q drivers might make for something special in terms of a surround speaker...
    Ahh I forgot about the KEFs. I'll add them to the list. Thanks.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    Ahh I forgot about the KEFs. I'll add them to the list. Thanks.
    They crossed my mind, but having never heard anything from the new line, I didn't know if they would be a good timbre match with the Ushers.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    9,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    Ahh I forgot about the KEFs. I'll add them to the list. Thanks.
    I think Phil (pearlls001) is running that model surround in his HT and IIRC he's within reasonable driving distance.... Maybe get his thoughts on em and see about a demo...
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

    Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

    HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

    Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

    Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

    Sales Rating
    Gear

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    OK I have a big gripe about the Klipschs and the Def Techs...

    It seems they don't sell these surrounds as mirrored pairs, only as single speakers with all of them being the same. This wouldn't be an issue if the speakers were symmetrical... but they're not. Both manufacturer's designs have a tweeter towards the top on the left side and a tweeter towards the bottom on the right side. This means that the back right speaker would have the tweeter facing the listener on the bottom whereas the back left speaker would have the tweeter facing the listener on the top. I am WAY too OCD to be able to cope with that. Deal-breaker.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Posts
    993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    I am WAY too OCD to be able to cope with that. Deal-breaker.
    Glad I'm not the only one. I use two Monitor 5's as a center channel under my TV only because one by itself wouldn't be symmetrical.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The heart of Texas
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    They're not pretty, but they probably sound awesome (I have only owned the 500i) and the price sure is right!

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151116801842...84.m1423.l2649

  15. #15
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,182

    Default

    Not pretty is right, but not $300 worth IMO.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one. I use two Monitor 5's as a center channel under my TV only because one by itself wouldn't be symmetrical.
    And the thing is, you wouldn't even be able to see a difference with the grills on... but I would KNOW that there is a difference! Plus it's just stupid.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    I think Phil (pearlls001) is running that model surround in his HT and IIRC he's within reasonable driving distance.... Maybe get his thoughts on em and see about a demo...
    The KEF Q800's are an awesome surround speaker. My entire setup is the KEF Q series except for the Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's I'm using for my front & rear presence speakers. They blend in beautifully. My door is always open for a visit. Watching a Blu-Ray movie, a TV series show or a sporting event brings a tear to my eye every time I fire it up. Oh & the two channel listening is equally as impressive.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Watching a Blu-Ray movie, a TV series show or a sporting event brings a tear to my eye every time I fire it up.
    Why do it if its that painful? (insert smiley)
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,080

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Why do it if its that painful? (insert smiley)
    LOL!!! Tears of joy my good man, nothing at all to do with pain. Hey, what happened to all the icons?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    Those 1000's cabinets and grills are beat up for $300. However for $150-$200...could get some grill cloth, 3M spray glue, wood filler, paint and have a nice set of surrounds....the drivers look fine.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

    2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    After much experimentation, I have decided on a front soundstage for my HT system:

    Fronts: Usher Audio Dancer Mini 2 DMD's
    Center: Usher Audio BE-616 DMD

    Unfortunately, Usher does not make bipole surrounds, and I do not want to use their bookshelf speakers. I want wall-mountable bipoles, preferably with midrange drivers and tweeters firing in both directions. I would prefer a "lively" sound signature rather than warm to match with the Usher DMD's and to add some excitement to the mix. Budget is <1k, but closer to 500 would be nice.


    So what are some universally good bipoles for this application?


    I am currently considering the Klipsch Reference Series RS-62ii's for the following reasons:

    - Tweeter and midrange firing in both directions.
    - The Klipsch horns should be nice and lively.
    - Slick semi-circle look when wall-mounted.

    Concerns about the Klipschs:

    - Are they too bright?
    - Will the horns disperse as well as domes, or are they more directional?


    Thanks for any recommendations!
    Does Usher make In walls or In ceiling? These might be a much better choice then going with a different brand.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Does Usher make In walls or In ceiling? These might be a much better choice then going with a different brand.
    No. The only real HT pieces they offer are center channels. They don't do surrounds/in-walls.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    I'm really suprised they don't make a surround set...and even more suprised there are no DIY designs around(That I could find) given the long history of raw drivers available. However, with four drivers per enclosure the cost would be about $800 for just the drivers before adding the costs of the crossover and enclosure parts, labor.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

    2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    I'm really suprised they don't make a surround set...and even more suprised there are no DIY designs around(That I could find) given the long history of raw drivers available. However, with four drivers per enclosure the cost would be about $800 for just the drivers before adding the costs of the crossover and enclosure parts, labor.
    Think much higher than that for the BE/DMD's. The tweeters sell for $600/pair, so drivers alone for a pair would be about $1200. I'm not surprised they don't make FX type speakers in the least given what they would cost. I don't see the point in making one that would likely end up pricier than a pair of Be-718. For that matter, they would likely be VERY heavy for a wall-mount speaker if they were to continue using the 7" woofer in them considering that Usher doesn't skimp on the furniture finish of their speakers.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    As a FYI, I'm more interested in sheer performance than timbre matching.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    As a FYI, I'm more interested in sheer performance than timbre matching.
    Are you sure then Usher is the right choice.
    If a company wants to play in the HT world, they need to have a complete theater package. B&W made this mistake with the CM line currently not offering a perfect matching surround speaker. This is why I decided not to go with the CM line and stay with my Def Tech's. I really like the CM9's as a music speaker, actually I like them a lot. but I use my system for both movies and music and can't stand mixing and matching even within the same brand.
    Using someone else's surrounds if you can find a speaker that sounds very close to your Usher choice , then you can get away with it but if you put something back there thats very different, your not going to be happy with the overall results.

    Sheer performance to me means perfect Timbre matching to achieve sonic perfection. No other brands your willing to consider for the full system?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Are you sure then Usher is the right choice.
    If a company wants to play in the HT world, they need to have a complete theater package. B&W made this mistake with the CM line currently not offering a perfect matching surround speaker. This is why I decided not to go with the CM line and stay with my Def Tech's. I really like the CM9's as a music speaker, actually I like them a lot. but I use my system for both movies and music and can't stand mixing and matching even within the same brand.
    Using someone else's surrounds if you can find a speaker that sounds very close to your Usher choice , then you can get away with it but if you put something back there thats very different, your not going to be happy with the overall results.

    Sheer performance to me means perfect Timbre matching to achieve sonic perfection. No other brands your willing to consider for the full system?
    Without a doubt Dan (mantis) is right on the money here. Having experienced first hand the complex nature of a surround system with speakers from different manufactures & at that time I thought it sounded pretty darn good. Then I started adding more of the KEF speakers from the same Q series. With each addition the improvement & the sheer involvement in the sound track became more pronounced & enjoyable. The only mismatched speakers for now are my front & rear presence speakers which are Def Techs & they do blend in nicely but slowly I will be replacing them with the KEF Q 100's to further the timbre matching. Now I'm not saying that one can't be pleased with the performance of a mis-matched system but once you experience what timbre matching does for the full impact of the sound track you'll want to start implementing more speakers from the same line or at least from the same manufacture.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,443

    Default

    Martin Logan efx2

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Without a doubt Dan (mantis) is right on the money here. Having experienced first hand the complex nature of a surround system with speakers from different manufactures & at that time I thought it sounded pretty darn good. Then I started adding more of the KEF speakers from the same Q series. With each addition the improvement & the sheer involvement in the sound track became more pronounced & enjoyable. The only mismatched speakers for now are my front & rear presence speakers which are Def Techs & they do blend in nicely but slowly I will be replacing them with the KEF Q 100's to further the timbre matching. Now I'm not saying that one can't be pleased with the performance of a mis-matched system but once you experience what timbre matching does for the full impact of the sound track you'll want to start implementing more speakers from the same line or at least from the same manufacture.
    Dudes. This is not my first rodeo. I've done matched, I've done mis-matched, I've done matched, I've done mis-matched... Many iterations of both.

    I fully comprehend your points, and I appreciate you trying to save me from my own ignorance, but I am where I am right now, and I am very happy to be where I am.

    I LOVE the Usher Dancer Mini 2's! Not like... LOVE! And I am so stoke to be building a 5-channel system around them.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    But don't you hate the center from that line?

    Edit: Talking about the logans here.
    2-Channel:

    Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

    HT:

    Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
  2. "timbre matching" an lsim 704c
    By WagBoss in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 11:55 PM
  3. Need Help "'Almost"matching rear speakers for CSiA4
    By jkobzina in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts