Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default quick ? on SDA 2B fabric side panels

While doing the replacement poly switches with the Mills 0.5 type I noticed that some but not all of the side panels are starting to come free from there aging glue up job about 36 y/o now. Now what would be the best approach to solve this .I do have 2 remedies which I think would work but I'd like the concensous here on the pros on cons of both, or something else.
    My 1st choice would to evenly layer out some Liquid Nails interior type and protect and tape off all the good stuff and of course neatness here is a must. Because I have no clamps tape and the weight of these things alone should work.
    2. 2nd option which I also have is a full can of Dan Tack foam and fabric adhevise spray.I used this stuff while redoing the grill covers of my long gone Bose 601s w/ great effect.
    So those in the know what would you guys do, seeing the tweeters are just 8 screws w/o the speakers themselves not having to move anymore this I can do once I get the go /no go on the right procedure.

Polk used glue in S pattern on the side panels, not all over.
    My panels were also coming off on the top.
    Wood glue/liquid nail should work fine.
    You have to use something thin to apply glue close to the area where glue is still holding.

Boston A400, DefTech BP10,BP-2, Klipsch KG2.5,KG4,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3,L166, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,7C,RTA-11T, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690.
    SUB:PF15TL+, Energy e:XL-S8, Optimus SW-10P, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

The side panels on my SDA2s came off, and I was really irked at Polk for the substandard, minimal glue used to put them on. The real problem was they warped and popped off. I tried re-gluing, and with the speakers on the side used pavement stones as weights to press down on the panels while new glue dried. No help. The warp caused them to pop off again. At this point I removed all four panels since the cloth was also coming off. Incidentally, this all occurred from the "abuse" of standing upright for 20 years in my living room.

Anyway, now they are stored in my dining room, and I bought a better pair of speakers. Maybe someday when I am retired and bored I will put wood sides on them, and restore them.

Blue Fox , that's a really sad story considering these things went upwoards to $1200-$1300 .Bsides glue up you'd think they would at the very least shot some brads in to the sides for some extra insurance.There was a phrase in the 70's that U.S car makers used while the the Japanese were taking over the market.I think it was called planned obsolesence.Plain english they knew with in a giving span the cars would rust, blow up or just fall apart. I wonder how many other industries had this ideology behind their marketing strategy.Hey the faster it broke the quicker you needed a new one. Twisted but evil genious.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    Blue Fox , that's a really sad story considering these things went upwoards to $1200-$1300 .Bsides glue up you'd think they would at the very least shot some brads in to the sides for some extra insurance.There was a phrase in the 70's that U.S car makers used while the the Japanese were taking over the market.I think it was called planned obsolesence.Plain english they knew with in a giving span the cars would rust, blow up or just fall apart. I wonder how many other industries had this ideology behind their marketing strategy.Hey the faster it broke the quicker you needed a new one. Twisted but evil genious.
    Remember back in the day when the cars had those perforated hardboard headliners? Then in the 80's it seems the headliners were covered in cloth and the glue would give out and the headliner would start to droop down and looked like crap,lol.

I had one of those, a '92 Buick LeSabre. Good car, but the headliner . . . . Finally attempted a repair when I could no longer see out the back window.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Yeah, the same thing happened to me on my present 98' POS Saturn. The healiner started to droop and I tried to spray some adhesive and it did not work ,so I took a razor to the whole thing.Now I have a cool looking moonscape as a headliner that sheds every time someone slams the doors.

Oh, back to the original question.I answered it myself. The spray was way to unweildly and uncontrolable I tried it on a sacrificial object and was not happening, the Liquid Nails w/a pattern here and there a swipe of a spatula and a good tape job,it's done except to leave it alone and let dry.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

The glue on my 2B's (I'm the original owner) held for almost 30 years. I sure can't fault Polk for skimping on anything.

I removed the panels and weighted them for about a month to flatten them out. I used liquid nails and weighted them evenly with about 100 lbs of "stuff" and the panels are as new and surely good for another 30.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    I removed the panels and weighted them for about a month to flatten them out. I used liquid nails and weighted them evenly with about 100 lbs of "stuff" and the panels are as new and surely good for another 30.
    Sounds like flattening out the warp of the panels pre-regluing is the route to success on these. Thanks inspired', I've wondered how this was best handled too.

Thread Information