Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question RTiA7 vs TSX550t

Looking to put together a 7.2 setup for a 12X20 room to be used mainly for movies, some gaming and basically no music. I was initially looking at something like this:

2 TSX550t's Fronts
    1 TSX250C Center
    2 BIC PL-200 Subs
    4 F/XiA6 Surrounds

But then was wondering if shouldn't go with something like the RTI A7s for fronts and the CSIA6 for better timbre matching as pricing is about the same. I've read conflicting things about whether it was important for surrounds to match the fronts.

Any thoughts?

I've never heard the TSX line to directly compare them, but i'd personally go with the Rtia line for the same price. Not crucial for surrounds to timbre match the fronts but it never hurts, welcome!
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

I have had the Polk TSX550T for about a month now and they sound really good to me. Very happy with them.
    The only difference that I can say that changed with break in is some male voices that sounded, like what I think the reviewers call bloated or tubby, cleared up after about a week. Maybe it was because the voices overlapped the 5 1/25" midrange and 8" woofers and they started to work together better after several days of operation.

I ran them full range with the center, surrounds and sub turned off to give them the full frequency range of the source material for about two weeks for break in. I am now running them full range with with center and surrounds crossover set to 80hz and the sub set to about 50hz to get the lower hz. I know that is not the recommended way but I like it that way. I run them full range because I like the way the bass sounds and my Marantz receiver does not seem to mind the load. I have them biamped as I did the Inifinities.

I replaced some 16 year old Infinity Cappa 7 series II with the Polks. The Infinity's cost more than the TSX550T's but the Polk's sound better to me especially the base and mid range. The Infinity's have 10" woofers and sound a little boomy when run full range. I had them set to small and crossed at 60hz.
    I have never heard any really expensive high end speakers to compare them to but I am very happy with these.

I ordered a TSX150C center that will be delivered tomorrow. I hope it is a good good match for the towers.
    Last edited by don0; 09-30-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Zooch View Post
    ..But then was wondering if shouldn't go with something like the RTI A7s for fronts and the CSIA6 for better timbre* matching* as pricing is about the same. I've read conflicting things about whether it was important for surrounds to match the fronts.
    *Yyuuuup!* TM make a much bigger dif on the end result than you might think
    Samsung 60" LED
    Rotel 1068
    LG BDP
    Denon LDP
    LR: RTi A7*** Biamped w/TDM EXO
    MT: Rotel RB985->AR 12 ga->MT feed & mids wired w/AR 12ga
    Subs: Belles 1 for each LR subs->MC 10ga->wired w/8ga Powerline

CC: Rotel RB985->AR 12 ga->CSi A6, mids wired w/AR12 * ***
    SW: Seismic Audio powered 18" wired w/AR12
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280->fed & wired w/AR12->RTi A1**
    *Bi** or tri***-amped one day