Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Net worth?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Net worth?

I'm researching getting a professional license for my trade(HVAC), and the license requirements state a "net worth of $x,xxx"
    I have about 12K in cash, BUT, I owe that much on my car, plus my mortgage.
    So what's my net worth?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Do you have equity in your car and house

You would need to subtract the the resale value of your home and car

I personally would claim your net worth as $12k...would be an honest opinion and I don't like giving TMI
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

The sum of all your assets minus your liabilities (debt).
    "I can't be wrong." - F1Nut

Living room HT: 11.2 LSiM
    707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    706c center, 702 surrounds
    Onkyo 3010
    Dual Parasound Halo A51's
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Two 20 amp dedicated circuits
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

The boys have you covered above. The best thing to do is pay down your debt as much and as soon as you can and keep it in check. The only "debt" my wife and I carry are basic monthly expenses. We own everything else outright. So there is no debt to subtract, it's all assets all the time. lol

That does not mean we're wealthy. Far from it!

Good luck!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I don't think you need to worry about "net worth" to get the mechanical license. You would need it for the business license, for insurance purposes. If you are planning on starting that mom and pop thing, get advice from a lawyer.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Do speakers count as assets? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by obieone View Post
    I'm researching getting a professional license for my trade(HVAC), and the license requirements state a "net worth of $x,xxx"
    I have about 12K in cash, BUT, I owe that much on my car, plus my mortgage.
    So what's my net worth?
    A license as in a business license ? If so, then you definitely want to set up a corporation and become one of the evil ones. Aside from the benefits associated with that, it can also offer you protection from your personal assets such as your house, personal bank accounts, etc. Talk to a CPA or lawyer and they can better direct you as to the type of corporation best suited for your needs.

It doesn't cost a lot either, and coupled with insurance that you would need the goal is protecting your personal assets from lawsuits and garnishments, the IRS, while also granting yourself some tax benefits too. This can be a double edged sword for some who have no idea what going into business for yourself entails. Quarterly tax filings , record keeping, etc. can be time consuming.

If you mean to just get a license to work in the industry, don't know why they need to know your net worth at all. Net worth is all your assets worth and all your debt too, including your mortgage. Subtract the 2 and you get a - or + to either side.

Not enough info to make a determination of your final net worth but don't put that out on the internet anyway. If your car is worth 10k, and you owe 12k, that gives you a negative of 2k. If your house is worth 200k, and you owe 100k, your even on that. See what I mean ? You add up all that you owe, subtract the value of said assets to get your answer. Assets too can be furniture, anything of value like a coin collection, antiques, paintings, etc. Most will find they sit on the negative side due to their mortgages they hold, but when starting a business, a small business, you decide what assets to put into the corporation. You keep business and personal separate.....so you don't lose everything. You can put your 12k in cash into the business, and if no other loans are taken out then your businesses' net worth is 12k....minus any operating expenses of course. Hope that makes some sense, but really you need to talk to a CPA or lawyer. A good CPA is probably your best bet because they know tax laws pretty good.

Net worth = (cash + properties + investments) – (credit card debt + loans + outstanding payments of any other kind).

Quote Originally Posted by maximillian View Post
    Do speakers count as assets? :-)
    I hope so!!
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Depends on whose wife is counting.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

What tonyb said.

Don't start a business under your name as a sole proprietor. You don't want to be personally financially liable for your business.

Thread Information