Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RTiA5, Would either of my receivers be able to push these properly ?

Ok like my sig says, I've got two systems, and been demo'ing speakers that I know my HK 3490 is too small for (LSiM 705, RTiA9). But yesterday I was in a store and heard a set of RTiA5's and to be blunt, with a 12 inch powered sub behind them, they sounded absolutely perfect to my ears for some odd reason. So considering buying not one but two pair, one pair for each system. The receivers are...

HK 3490, 120x2 8 Ohms HCC +/-45 amps

and

HK 3375 75x2 8 Ohms HCC +/- 42 amps

Noting I don't have esoteric speaker cables like Shotguns or the like, just standard 12 gauge but in a bi-wire on the 3490 to get more current and control to the towers I've had for years (crap crap crap Soundstage towers). Honestly, looking forward to the day I hook up a terminated lamp cord to the old towers and plug it into a wall socket...lol Anyways, all opinions taken for what it is, I have a feeling the 3490 would be plenty...it's the 3375 that gives me a little worry.

Ken
    Last edited by nbrowser; 09-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

The HK 3490 would be fine with those and you have two sub-outs and pre-outs for L/R channels if you need them later. Plus a reasonably decent sounding set of DACs in that unit?

But, IMO, the A9s are more musical! And all you would need is to get a used power amp hooked to the 3490 and the A9s and you'd be good. Why give up the A9s? I'm not following that?

BTW, if you don't have any esoteric cables you have to "turn" in your Audio ID Card IMMEDIATELY!

I'm just kidding, of course.

Enjoy!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 09-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Like cnh says work to compliment your A9's get an amp and keep the A9's. that is the route I would go. I run A5's, and A3's off a Denon AVR-891 105w per chanel with a sub and in 2 channel mode thats plenty for me. I myself would love a pair of 9's if I had the power to power them, but I'm happy the 5's and 3's as they sound good to good to me.

Electrical issues in the house (small box) mean I can't dedicate a circuit to a much more powerful amp without spending thousands on system upgrades to the house so kinda limited to power on hand now.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

I would also amp the A9's, and get rid of that "weird sub that works". You probably won't need a sub with the A9's.

I would concentrate on this system, maybe go to at least 5.x before worrying about the other one. Amp the A9's, run them large, and decide if you need the sub. Of course I like the A5's also. They really do need a good sub, which together would cost about as much as a decent amp.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    The HK 3490 would be fine with those and you have two sub-outs and pre-outs for L/R channels if you need them later. Plus a reasonably decent sounding set of DACs in that unit?

But, IMO, the A9s are more musical! And all you would need is to get a used power amp hooked to the 3490 and the A9s and you'd be good. Why give up the A9s? I'm not following that?

BTW, if you don't have any esoteric cables you have to "turn" in your Audio ID Card IMMEDIATELY!

I'm just kidding, of course.

Enjoy!

cnh
    The A9s are on loan from an audio shop who's owner is a customer of our shop, as is a pair of LSiM 705s...both sounded decent on the 3490, but it falls flat anything past say a moderate volume level. And as said earlier, A/C power or lack thereof is an issue in the house here so I can't overly stress the electrical system or even afford to upgrade the box so it is what it is.

Ended up going to the store to pick up the RTiA5s...didn't...Will post pics of the actual purchase once I get a photobucket account set up hehe...and yes, I am indeed in the Polk Family !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

The rest of the above story, store had a set of RTiA7s playing on a 70wpc low amperage receiver (read, cheap $150 pile of....), sounded not half bad thinking my 3490 was 120wpc with some amperage...fell for em and brought em home and now, these are the permanent set. Note in the pics the sub, isn't on cause the A7s deliver plenty of bass for being fresh out of the box.

Excuse the mess in the photo, just happens when setting up new speakers :)

The RTiA7's the HK 3490, bi-wired (yeah I know the diff...they are bi-wired, not bi-amped) Sound incredible ! Little iPod touch front end centre is the source for now.

Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Now...how to properly settle them in....damn they sound nice...
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

I used to have that same HK! I thought the preamp section left lots to be desired, but MAN that amp had juice.

FWIW, I ran the LSi7s and LSi25 uppers on them, and it was more than enough. You've got a great 2-ch receiver there buddy.
    Last edited by JimAckley; 09-30-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, DIY Statements, Samsung 52" LCD

Quote Originally Posted by JimAckley View Post
    I used to have that same HK! I thought the preamp section left lots to be desired, but MAN that amp had juice.

FWIW, I ran the LSi7s and LSi25 uppers on them, and it was more than enough. You've got a great 2-ch receiver there buddy.
    I actually don't mind the sound from the 3490, and in listening tests tonight on the brand spankin new RTiA7's...I was able to get the display to read +5 while cranking the volume...probably a lil high but the receiver didn't miss a beat with the source material. Colour me impressed, they get nice n loud and CLEAN, the imaging places the vocals dead center of the physical system, literally right on the center vertical under the TV...nails it without any toe in. I can't wait to get these babies broken in and really turn them loose.

My name is Ken, not only am I an amateur audiophile, I'm also a Polk Family Member and damn proud of it.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

+5db on an AVR is definitely clipped territory. Be careful man, don't want to hurt your shiny new speakers. How is the imaging with that much congestion around them?

Congrats on your new speakers, enjoy!
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    +5db on an AVR is definitely clipped territory. Be careful man, don't want to hurt your shiny new speakers. How is the imaging with that much congestion around them?

Congrats on your new speakers, enjoy!
    Thankfully, it's not an AVR, it's a HK series, straight stereo ! No extra channels, just Left and Right, and when she was up that high, it was playing Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meatloaf, but it's a quiet recording and quite old. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. Seems the HK 3490 is a respectable match for the RTiA7s...no complaints whatsoever right now. Hooboy, nearly 10 years with the crap Soundstage towers to these beauties. Even a live recording like Foreigner's ...When It's Live recording sounds really strong and full of impact and you can audibly hear that it was recorded well. Almost like my ears have been woken up and turned on for once. Granted, these aren't RTiA9s or LSiM 705 or 707s but to my ears and the power i can muster up, the A7's just do it for me. Nice sound, I'm hearing things I've never heard in my usual array of music before. Can NOT wait til they break in fully and the 7 inchers wake up and really start to throw the bass out !

Imaging, we all know that's a subjective term but as far as what's supposed to be in the center, is there, the other things like guitars and sounds, come off the sides nicely.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 09-30-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Thankfully, it's not an AVR, it's a HK series, straight stereo ! No extra channels, just Left and Right, and when she was up that high, it was playing Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meatloaf, but it's a quiet recording and quite old. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. Seems the HK 3490 is a respectable match for the RTiA7s...no complaints whatsoever right now. Hooboy, nearly 10 years with the crap Soundstage to these beauties. Even a live recording like Foreigner's ...When It's Live recording sounds really strong and full of impact and you can audibly hear that it was recorded well. Almost like my ears have been woken up and turned on for once.

Imaging, we all know that's a subjective term but as far as what's supposed to be in the center, is there, the other things like guitars and sounds, come off the sides nicely.
    Wrong:

http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/h...K%203490_HK_US

Does video, has tuner. It's an AVR.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    I actually don't mind the sound from the 3490, and in listening tests tonight on the brand spankin new RTiA7's...I was able to get the display to read +5 while cranking the volume...probably a lil high but the receiver didn't miss a beat with the source material. Colour me impressed, they get nice n loud and CLEAN, the imaging places the vocals dead center of the physical system, literally right on the center vertical under the TV...nails it without any toe in. I can't wait to get these babies broken in and really turn them loose.

My name is Ken, not only am I an amateur audiophile, I'm also a Polk Family Member and damn proud of it.

If +5 on the dial isn't "turning them loose" yet, then I suspect one of your future post will have something to do with calling CS about a tweeter or 2 not working. Seriously dude, your pushing your luck.

Lol I dialed it all down after 15 seconds tops...all is good, going to let the iPod play a long playlist that will last a few days at a minimal volume to loosen the drivers up.

I promise to not blow any drivers...that would kinda um...suck.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Ok...24 hours or so into ownership of these beauties, been running low volume with bass knob twisted to move the cones (yes volume is really low, lower than you'd listen to a TV at) I go downstairs to the system, back off the bass to flat, twist the volume knob up a bit. Still sweet, still a little tight, but so smooth, balanced is a word I'd use. The weird 12 inch sub that isn't on now, will be used as a base for my TT once I dig it out and see what some vinyl sounds like on this system, excited ? Yes !

I know of a few good rock tracks that will make these speakers sing, anyone got ideas of what I could play to test things out ?

Lovin the Polks though...lovin them muchly !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

I wonder if the subs magnet could affect a moving magnet cartridge?
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    I wonder if the subs magnet could affect a moving magnet cartridge?
    Possibly, see what happens though, if it's not as good as it should be, then I'll relocate the turntable, and yes, it's a moving magnet Audio Technica http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4948196d58en02

And yes, it does have a proper phono output, although it is switchable to preamp out I resist flipping that switch instead prefer the phono inputs on either of my HKs, just sounds quite a bit better.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

I would love to see people in your shoes go and listen to a higher fidelity system and be taught how to listen. I went through that process and though I still like it loud, I know when it hits that "special" volume and the gates open up. If I hadn't learned how to listen, I probably would've never figured that one out. It's fun sometimes to crank it, but once you hit the pinnacle on the dial, anything greater is usually just obnoxious.

There is a whole world out there waiting for you. Find some local groups that will hold your hand as you walk through it - you can only benefit from it.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

DSkip, thanks for the advice, I do know my eyes and ears have been opened up, the system, sounds phenomenal as it is right now, the speakers are slowly loosening up with what I'm doing to them...and no, not full blast, just a low volume with a bit of bass turned up so they are moving, just not wildly. Still have yet to unwrap the grilles but with the beauty of the drivers, why bother ? And my PFB moment on the dumb idea thread...eh....PFB moment is all I can chalk that up to and no, not gonna do it.

I'm happy, sure it's a Polk but they were what to my ear, right for me and my situation.

Next upgrade, speaker cabling.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Glad you're learning more, but trust me, you haven't seen what that iceberg is hiding underwater. It took me 3 years to get a decent base to work with, but even I still have a long way to go. Keep the passion and enjoy the music man.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

DSkip, learning is a good thing. If I didn't learn I'd probably of gotten the A9s and then whined that the HK couldn't push them etc. The A5s would of been good too but the sound of the A7's, just did it for me. The 3490 so far doesn't seem to be having issues driving them and that's a good thing, sure I can roadmap a future upgrade for a more powerful amp but at the moment, I can't afford that. However knowing I can simply turn the 3490 in a preamp and do the upgrades piece work as money allows.

I know someone remarked that I'm still bi-wiring, honestly, it was easier just to keep the bi-wire in place when I set up the A7s than it was to try and pull out the HK to remove the second set of speaker wires, not like that is going to hurt the towers in any way that I know of.

And yeah, I have a few "audiophile" friends, one who swears by his Acoustimass speakers....riiiiiiiiiiight, wait til he hears the A7s.... :) But in all seriousness a couple of them have systems that cost a lot more than what I have invested into my quaint 2 channel system that to their ears, would blow mine away but my ears would tell a different story. We all have different ears, different tastes, different preferences, what works for one, doesn't work for the other etc. this I know. I'm fairly happy with what I have now and never in a million years would I have thought I'd own speakers that sounded this nice to ME, the one listening :)

Ken
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen