Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thank you

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Thank you

Just wanted to send out a thank you for those who have helped me with advice on the biggest and quite possibly the most impacting upgrade to my living room 2 channel system. I've always known my speakers simply for lack of a better term, SUCKED ! I did spend quite some time looked at towers, from Klipsch, Energy, Paradigm, Precision Audio, Bose (don't ask, don't tell) and several Polks. Even had the opportunity to in home audition a few models in my own home thanks to a good person I know (LSiM 705, RTiA9 but found out the receiver couldn't power those enough).

Spent a ton of time Sunday at a local big box store sampling the RTiA5...not a bad tower, dual 6.5"s, single 1 inch tweeter nice looking, nice sounding tower powered by a Pioneer S series receiver, I liked them. Then the salesman mentioned I should listen to the pair of RTiA7's on a little lesser receiver, actually nowhere close to the power my HK 3490 puts out. After a solid hour running music off my iPhone to the system my ears told me what to buy. A brand new shiny black pair of RTiA7's now take up residence on either side of my living room entertainment center. Bi-wired with my 12 gauge speaker wires without a single banana plug in sight.

Didn't get a opportunity to demo anything from Usher, no one around these parts stocks them at all from what I've found. Sad too, seems the local market only prefers certain brands of speaker and that's it. However I am happy with my selection. Anything Polk in fact made my ears happy, smooth highs, ample midrange and surprisingly in the case of the RTiA5s, bass, however the RTiA7s had more bass thanks to the dual 7 inch woofers in addition to the 6.5 inch midrange up top. Generally they sounded more rounded for my application. Knowing my receiver could actually drive them well was nice too. Not as power hungry as the RTiA9 or 705s.

I know my interconnects and speaker cabling are now in need of some upgrading, but that'll come in due time as finances allow. I'll still keep them bi-wired no matter what, yes I know the true difference between bi-wire and bi-amp. I'm just chomping at the bit as to when these babies will break in and loosen up a touch, such a nice full sound with nothing lacking.

Again, Thanks to all who replied to both my other threads, sometimes helpful, sometimes confusing but all in all, stopped me from spending money of stuff I couldn't power or put to the best use. I'd mention names but too many to list, just know this, your Polkies are a helpful bunch who know what you are talking about.

THANK YOU !

No, I'm not goin anywhere, this is a good forum, even though hosting by Polk, there is no brand bashing, no pretenses, just honesty and the goal of improving audio for everyone.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Nice write up. Lots of help and great info to be found in CP.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's w/ RD-0198's, Sonicap, Mills, Armacell, SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills; SDA 2B TL's; SDA 2's w/RD-0194's; Monitor 10's w/peerless tweeters
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Just wanted to send out a thank you for those who have helped me with advice on the biggest and quite possibly the most impacting upgrade to my living room 2 channel system. I've always known my speakers simply for lack of a better term, SUCKED ! I did spend quite some time looked at towers, from Klipsch, Energy, Paradigm, Precision Audio, Bose (don't ask, don't tell) and several Polks. Even had the opportunity to in home audition a few models in my own home thanks to a good person I know (LSiM 705, RTiA9 but found out the receiver couldn't power those enough).

Spent a ton of time Sunday at a local big box store sampling the RTiA5...not a bad tower, dual 6.5"s, single 1 inch tweeter nice looking, nice sounding tower powered by a Pioneer S series receiver, I liked them. Then the salesman mentioned I should listen to the pair of RTiA7's on a little lesser receiver, actually nowhere close to the power my HK 3490 puts out. After a solid hour running music off my iPhone to the system my ears told me what to buy. A brand new shiny black pair of RTiA7's now take up residence on either side of my living room entertainment center. Bi-wired with my 12 gauge speaker wires without a single banana plug in sight.

Didn't get a opportunity to demo anything from Usher, no one around these parts stocks them at all from what I've found. Sad too, seems the local market only prefers certain brands of speaker and that's it. However I am happy with my selection. Anything Polk in fact made my ears happy, smooth highs, ample midrange and surprisingly in the case of the RTiA5s, bass, however the RTiA7s had more bass thanks to the dual 7 inch woofers in addition to the 6.5 inch midrange up top. Generally they sounded more rounded for my application. Knowing my receiver could actually drive them well was nice too. Not as power hungry as the RTiA9 or 705s.

I know my interconnects and speaker cabling are now in need of some upgrading, but that'll come in due time as finances allow. I'll still keep them bi-wired no matter what, yes I know the true difference between bi-wire and bi-amp. I'm just chomping at the bit as to when these babies will break in and loosen up a touch, such a nice full sound with nothing lacking.

Again, Thanks to all who replied to both my other threads, sometimes helpful, sometimes confusing but all in all, stopped me from spending money of stuff I couldn't power or put to the best use. I'd mention names but too many to list, just know this, your Polkies are a helpful bunch who know what you are talking about.

THANK YOU !

No, I'm not goin anywhere, this is a good forum, even though hosting by Polk, there is no brand bashing, no pretenses, just honesty and the goal of improving audio for everyone.
    Congrats on your purchase. Glad you found something that tickles your fancy!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Best part about it 'browser is you did some home work, and got out and listened

Enjoy
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Polk has so much to choose from & depending on your budget is & what applications your need are- they have lots of choices ENJOY YOUR SPEAKERS :)
    RANDY
    ~SDA2b Adcom gfa555 565pre 555t 600cd Pioneer PLa35d
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer
    ~Marantz 2252b 5025b 6300tt Tech-a4010s monitor 7b
    ~Yamaha cr2040 Advent2 Monitor 10a
    ~Rotel RV555 monitor 4 series 2 -office-
    ~Pioneer seQ404 2-4channel headphones

Now...how to get rid of the old towers...I'm thinking...set up a video camera...grab a lamp cord (ironic), hook one end up to the binding posts and you can guess the rest, or saddle someone on craigslist with a pair of speakers that there isn't much info about online or anywhere for that matter. The RTiA7's are staying put in my home for the long run !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

What did you have before?
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    What did you have before?
    A pair of towers called "SoundStage" a off brand built supposedly by JBL for a Canadian chain of electronics stores, aka the house brand, model Stage 5.1. The model number is kinda deceptive as it is NOT a 5.1 speaker system but in fact, a stereo pair. They are a touch taller, a fair bit wider and a touch less deep compared to the size of the A7 towers. But contain dual 8 inch woofers with a single tweeter per side. See pic posted below. I was powering them with a cheap Yamaha AVR for the longest time, thought getting the HK 3490 would liven them up and make them sound better when in fact, they didn't respond to a HELL of a lot more power, amperage that is. Then again, I paid $380 for the pair 10 years ago so no love lost, especially when in 20 minutes of moving and connecting wires to the A7s and literally being blown away by the upgrade in quality.

Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Why destroy them? Put them on Craigslist for $50 and go out to dinner.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |

Why destroy them? Put them on Craigslist for $50 and go out to dinner.
    Could always start the "Buy some Shotguns or something better than 12 gauge speaker wire" fund...lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Could always start the "Buy some Shotguns or something better than 12 gauge speaker wire" fund...lol
    Equally good idea.

If you do decide to destroy them do it with multiple car batteries wired in series and take video.

Equally good idea.

If you do decide to destroy them do it with multiple car batteries wired in series and take video.
    hrm I was thinkin lamp cord into a 120V socket...or drag them to a buddies and hook them up to his car audio system made for SPL records... a Kilowatt or two would do them in nicely too...lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom