Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Whats the opnion on Polk DSP PRO 660 WI around here?...... I am kinda disappointed

Of all the components i have purchased and connected i am little bit dissapointed with this subwoofer.
    I actually like the 707 on full band width.
    For some reason the DSP PRO 660 feels crude unrefined ratlling mess.
    I dont get that punchy ... grinny bass from it..... i connected it...used it for couple of days .. now i switched it off and started using my 707's on full band bidth.

Placed it corner/center of the wall ... tried 60/70/80 htz crossover etc:- but still dont like the way it sounds .....any suggentions? i assume there is a burn in time for everything?

BTW i will be getting my MIT interconnects today.... Back Mamba will be awakened to night

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I've never heard that one and I'm not that much of an SW kind of guy. However, I have heard the micro pro 1000. It was an EXCELLENT sub. Very musical and refined.

Quote Originally Posted by xsmi View Post
    I've never heard that one and I'm not that much of an SW kind of guy. However, I have heard the micro pro 1000. It was an EXCELLENT sub. Very musical and refined.
    Yeah that was the mistake i have done.. May be i should have went with MicroPro 3000 when i had chance.

Depends on what your using it for. I use mine for movies and video games. Other wise I run my RTi's at full range for Tv and music.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

That's a good sub. But if you're running TOTL Polks you should be stepping up on the sub end! Either two of these:

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/dswmicropro3000

Or some Monster class from SVS, HSU or Velodyne!

As for me, I'm cheap, so my 300 watt/600 watt peak 12" (47 lbs) box is enough (my wife already complains about how it shakes her office above the HT room). Don't run it for "music". That's a "different" system!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 10-03-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Agreed, top of the line Polks need a top of the line subwoofer to gain anything worthy. Micropro subs would do nicely along with a hundred or so from other brands. There is no voice matching in subwoofers so a different brand won't be a problem.

Many questions? Are your thoughts based on movies or music? If music, what sound format are you using on your AVR? How did you decide on the location of the subwoofer...crawl method or room design? How close to boundaries and reflections was the subwoofer placed? Did you try moving it closer or farther away from these boundaries? Are you relying on room correction for distance and channel level? Did you verify the settings by SPL meter and tape measure? Did you recalibrate after moving the sub and validate with SPL? What is your channel level set at and how high do you have the volume on the sub?

To provide seamless integration with floorstanders takes time to figure out the right location and settings. Personally, I thought the 660 sounded very good right out of the box. I do burn-in equipment for 200-300 hours before any serious listening or determination though. When I dialed in the placement and settings, I feel the 660 does a very good job for both movies and music. Basically blending seamlessly into the music with tight no boomy bass. For my very large room, I did have to go to two subs to minimize localization and pressurize the room. I know there are better subs out there but the 660's are not leaving my system anytime soon. And for my system, I prefer 2.2 music and everyone that has listened to my system in my house agrees this provides better SQ than 2.0 on full range. Maybe it could be the synergy difference with your set-up.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

The 660 and some of the cheaper Polk subs are good for what they are but loose value as you go up in price. However, you have the flagship tower that has a nice low end already. IMO, the Micro Pro or better would have been the way to go.....but the price goes waay up. I see very clean, linear subs with deep extension, and/or room correction, etc like the HSU ULS-15 , SVS SB13-Ultra, Rythmik Audio 15", etc. as being contenders to match up with big towers like the 707.

I for one think that sub integration can be a pain in the ass sometimes to get things to sound right. I wonder if that is why many don't like a sub for 2 channel listening in a moderate sized room given they have tower speakers? Myself, I think a clean well integrated sub can take the strain off the towers if they are high passed. This in effect can clean up the presentation and give much more dynamics. But sometimes easier said than done.
    Last edited by WLDock; 10-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Looks like i can change it from down firing to front firing... will try that and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorton View Post
    Many questions? Are your thoughts based on movies or music? If music, what sound format are you using on your AVR? How did you decide on the location of the subwoofer...crawl method or room design? How close to boundaries and reflections was the subwoofer placed? Did you try moving it closer or farther away from these boundaries? Are you relying on room correction for distance and channel level? Did you verify the settings by SPL meter and tape measure? Did you recalibrate after moving the sub and validate with SPL? What is your channel level set at and how high do you have the volume on the sub?

To provide seamless integration with floorstanders takes time to figure out the right location and settings. Personally, I thought the 660 sounded very good right out of the box. I do burn-in equipment for 200-300 hours before any serious listening or determination though. When I dialed in the placement and settings, I feel the 660 does a very good job for both movies and music. Basically blending seamlessly into the music with tight no boomy bass. For my very large room, I did have to go to two subs to minimize localization and pressurize the room. I know there are better subs out there but the 660's are not leaving my system anytime soon. And for my system, I prefer 2.2 music and everyone that has listened to my system in my house agrees this provides better SQ than 2.0 on full range. Maybe it could be the synergy difference with your set-up.
    Based on Movies for music i am using 707 on full band.
    Using Pure/Direct format
    Based on the recommendations on the web (Crutchfield)
    you mean to the front speakers? i think it is like a feet away from front speakers path?
    I havent done this, i will experiment it keeping away front speakers path
    yes Audyssey room correction
    yes tape measured and iphone spl meter
    havent done this recalibration
    Sorry i didnt get the last question volume is set at 75db

will take your suggestions and see how it goes.

thanks for taking time to reply

Thread Information