Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default XLR vs RCA interconnects

In the internet world where most folks thinks 2$ crappyshack cable is same as a MIT cable, i dont have a luxury to ask this question else where.
    So here it goes for a given setup like polk LSIM's , pre, amp would it make a difference between XLR cable and RCA cable if the length less than or equal to 5 feet.

Like..., for a system with Parasound A51, Cary SLP tube pre, 707s will there be a diference between MIT shotgun RCA and MIT shotgun XLR's?

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

XLR can lower floor noise or reduce hum if those are a problem in your system. XLR makes the largest difference if the electronics were designed balanced, which sometimes is hard to figure out. You could buy some cheap matching (monoprice) RCA and XLR and do an A/B comparison.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    ...You could buy some cheap matching (monoprice) RCA and XLR and do an A/B comparison.
    That is good advice. The cables and connections themselves are not inherently better or worse, so it comes down to how the individual components implemented their connections and internal circuitry, as zingo alluded to. On some pieces SE may sound better, on some they may sound the same, and on some balanced may sound better.

In my system, balanced sounds better for a couple of real reasons: 1) on my DAC, the S/N ratio is much better for the balanced output, and 2) on my preamp, the only "direct" input is a balanced input. My power amp is balanced only, but that's a different story..
    Last edited by falconcry72; 10-03-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

I use XLR on all my MIT and Shunyata inter-connects. Since I never bought the same cable in both flavors I cannot state whether one is better than the other. This is how I see it.

RCA gives you more options if you ever buy other gear that does not have XLR inputs.
    XLR gives you a secure, locked connection, and a theoretical lower noise floor.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

IMO, the XLR connector is vastly superior, I wish all hifi would switch over to it and the Speakon.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I use XLR on all my MIT and Shunyata inter-connects. Since I never bought the same cable in both flavors I cannot state whether one is better than the other. This is how I see it.

RCA gives you more options if you ever buy other gear that does not have XLR inputs.
    XLR gives you a secure, locked connection, and a theoretical lower noise floor.
    BlueFox, it's absolutely not a theoretical lower noise floor. It is absolutely a real lower noise floor (depending on what is causing the noise of course).

IMO, I agree with Face that the XLR jack is vastly superior.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    IMO, the XLR connector is vastly superior, I wish all hifi would switch over to it and the Speakon.
    I agree........Lets throw in BNC
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

After too long, I am finally installing my Aleph 30 this weekend . . .

The Volksamp Aleph 30 User Manual states, "single ended Class A operation is the least efficient operating mode." I think I'll takes Mr. Pass' word for it . . . I'm sure I'll experiment with single end down the road . . .
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    BlueFox, it's absolutely not a theoretical lower noise floor.
    Depends on the equipment. Could just be an XLR connector on a non-balanced circuit with the noise being the same between RCA and XLR. Hence theoretical.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennDog View Post

The Volksamp Aleph 30 User Manual states, "single ended Class A operation is the least efficient operating mode." I think I'll takes Mr. Pass' word for it . . . I'm sure I'll experiment with single end down the road . . .
    He is refering to the class of amplification not differential vs single ended connections at it's input.The efficiency he is talking about is the percentage of power drawn from the AC line that is actually useful for driving the actual speaker load.In the case of single ended Class A it pisses away >80% of the power consumed in the form of heat.Whereas a typical Class A/B design will have efficiency in the 40-50% range,with Class D on the order of 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    He is refering to the class of amplification not differential vs single ended connections at it's input.The efficiency he is talking about is the percentage of power drawn from the AC line that is actually useful for driving the actual speaker load.In the case of single ended Class A it pisses away >80% of the power consumed in the form of heat.Whereas a typical Class A/B design will have efficiency in the 40-50% range,with Class D on the order of 90%.
    After re-reading the statement, you are correct, Sir!

It is understood that Class A is very inefficient . . .
    So I'll be using Class A in the winter months (this sucker draws 200 watts continuously) . . . . then playing with Class D in the summer months
    The best of both worlds!! . . .
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I've had a low noise floor with both XLR and SE gear. (Single ended-RCA). Even with a 15 foot long SE IC to amp. Like mentioned, it depends....

I'm back to XLR due to discrete balanced output on my diy DAC; SE output is op amp. Not bad, but discrete balanced output sounds better to me.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennDog View Post
    After too long, I am finally installing my Aleph 30 this weekend . . .

The single ended referred to in the manual is the amp topology. The Aleph can be run balanced too, and it's still a single ended amp. I ran it both ways and in my rig I prefer the RCA's to XLR.

Get that puppy hooked up and burning..........

P.s. the terminology is the same (single ended) but it means something different. Single ended or push/pull is an amp topology. Singled ended or balanced connections is something a little different.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Depends on the equipment. Could just be an XLR connector on a non-balanced circuit with the noise being the same between RCA and XLR. Hence theoretical.
    Good point. I was just assuming it's a balanced circuit. Otherwise, why have an XLR jack? But, if it's not a balanced circuit then the noise floor would be the same. Inversly, if it is a balanced circuit, the noise floow will definately be lower. That is not theoretical (and that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion).
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Good point. I was just assuming it's a balanced circuit. Otherwise, why have an XLR jack? But, if it's not a balanced circuit then the noise floor would be the same. Inversly, if it is a balanced circuit, the noise floow will definately be lower. That is not theoretical (and that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion).
    No problemo, good buddy. It's hard for me to convey what I mean since I am a hunt and peck typist on an iPad virtual keyboard. Now let's see if the 'test' format smilies work.

Thanks for the replies guys,

So these is what i get from the reading.

It might not be a day and night difference.

for the length mentioned above (5 feet or less) there might not be a significant difference, if we are using decent components.

at the end you can never put a end to this thing you always have a freaking weak point some where.

Thread Information