Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Audyssey calibration blew out tweeter on CS2 Series II?

I'm thinking that performing an Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration blew out the tweeter on my center channel speaker (Monitor CS2 Series II). This is with a Denon AVR-2112CI receiver.

The tweeter physically looks intact but high-frequency response has suffered. Highs came back for a bit after turning off the system for 10-15 minutes, but seem to have gone away again.

Because Audyssey calibrates at reference level, I can't recalibrate at lower volume. I wish I could as I never listen at reference level anyway (usually more like 10dB under reference). I think the loud test tones were more than the receiver/speaker combo could handle. Either that or I had a marginal tweeter that just failed.

So some questions:
    - Which tweeter replaces the one in the CS2 Series II? I'd think I could just replace it.
    - Any thoughts on how to avoid this happening again? The Denon is rated for about 100 watts per channel. Audyssey XT32 only engages one channel at a time, so I wouldn't think that I'm clipping the amp. My real-world listening is never as loud as those test tones, so if I can calibrate without damaging the speaker, I should be good to go.
    - If the tweeter can't be replaced individually, I've thought about getting a pair of Monitor40 Series II instead of another CS2 Series II. I'd use one for a center channel and put the other one away.

Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, sorry you're having a problem. Assuming you've purchased your speaker from an authorized dealer you'll be covered under Polk's warranty. First thing Monday give them a call at: 1-800-377-7655 with the speaker's serial number and a proof of purchase (if you registered on line they'll already have all of that info) and they'll take care of you.
    It seems unusual that the calibration process happens at such a high volume, maybe check with Denon for advice?
    Regards, Ken

Default Dug up paperwork...

I'll call Monday morning. I bought the speaker in May of 2011, so they're about 2.5 years old. They were from an authorized dealer.

You"ll be fine, they have a five year warranty.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I've done hundreds of Audyssey calibrations, I have never blown a tweeter doing so. Either the tweeter was slightly defective and just gave out over time or you play your system to loud and damaged it over time. Audyssey just finished it off.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Just a follow-up to let everyone know that I got my replacement tweeter from Polk (free as I was still under warranty) and that fixed the problem. I re-ran Audyssey, and the replacement tweeter didn't blow. Problem solved.

I don't tend to listen loud and distort the tweeter. In fact, the Audyssey test tones can be unpleasantly loud. The center speaker must be more efficient than the mains / surrounds, as Audyssey had to dial it back 7.5dB, whereas the others had smaller 1-2dB adjustments.

Many thanks to Polk for providing a 5-year warranty, even on affordable speakers like the Monitor series! I doubt the competition does this.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Are the mains the same Polk series? If so, they are all the same efficiency, which would mean it's the location of the center causing Audyssey to dial it back more.

The test tones are not that loud, something like 75 or 80dB, so there's no way Audyssey caused the tweeter damage.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information