Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Do different speakers play different frequencies?

I have a pair of Monitor 60 series II's and a HK 3480. When I put my ear right next to the top speaker, separating out the sound from the tweeter with my hand, it seems like the speakers play progressively lower frequencies as I go down the towers. Is this just in my head or are there crossovers for each of the speakers in the towers? Also, I was curious and stuck my phone inside the port and took a picture facing up into the tower and found a separation between the bottom speaker and the rest of them. Here's the picture, http://i.imgur.com/Dnnad52.jpg I looked for a cabinet design, like a cutout, so I could see what the inside looks like. Anyone know of one?

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Hello, kadrek. I think you may be confusing drivers for a "speaker" and yes, different drivers have different frequencies. A tweeter will have the highs, a mid driver will have the mids and a woofer will have the low frequencies. A crossover separates the frequencies delivered to each driver within said speaker.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (10)

The lower freq. stay lower to the floor then the highs if you put your ear level with the carpet you will just barely hear the sound because it is just too low hence the term "low freq.", but on the same token if you put your ear against the ceiling the highs will be very bright hence the term "high freq.". Give it a try and let us know what you find.

Hey kadrek welcome to CP. Just to say you are correct in what you hear from each speaker. I believe it has to do with the makeup of the speaker and the crossover points. I have looked all over the net and I cant find a cutaway view either. Why are you curious to know if I might ask?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

WELCOME TO CLUB POLK!

You are correct, your drivers do play at different frequency ranges. I am not sure exactly where the crossover points are on the M-60s. The M-70s (a model up) have a 2 1/2 sloping crossover. So that the upper mid drivers cut off at a higher point than the lower drivers. And, of course, the tweeter takes up the High End to 24Khz or so.

We all have to begin somewhere. I remember when I was a teenager I would always judge a speaker by HOW BIG that low frequency (woofer) driver was. The "bigger" the "better". That's obviously not the case, although size and magnet assembly have to be taken into consideration when designing a speaker. Youngsters love "bass" so we were always looking for what people today would call a garage rig?

The M-60s should sound pretty good on an HK receiver!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by heartystatue View Post
    Hey kadrek welcome to CP. Just to say you are correct in what you hear from each speaker. I believe it has to do with the makeup of the speaker and the crossover points. I have looked all over the net and I cant find a cutaway view either. Why are you curious to know if I might ask?
    Thanks, just out of pure curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    WELCOME TO CLUB POLK!

You are correct, your drivers do play at different frequency ranges. I am not sure exactly where the crossover points are on the M-60s. The M-70s (a model up) have a 2 1/2 sloping crossover. So that the upper mid drivers cut off at a higher point than the lower drivers. And, of course, the tweeter takes up the High End to 24Khz or so.

We all have to begin somewhere. I remember when I was a teenager I would always judge a speaker by HOW BIG that low frequency (woofer) driver was. The "bigger" the "better". That's obviously not the case, although size and magnet assembly have to be taken into consideration when designing a speaker. Youngsters love "bass" so we were always looking for what people today would call a garage rig?

The M-60s should sound pretty good on an HK receiver!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Thanks for your help!

I know that different sizes of drivers are used for different frequencies. I was just wondering if each of the drivers in the towers had separate crossovers.
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 10-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I was just wondering if each of the drivers in the towers had separate crossovers.
    Ok, valid question. In your speakers there is one crossover, which acts as a traffic cop if you will, sending the appropriate frequenices to the respective drivers via capacitors, resistors and inductors.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Ok, valid question. In your speakers there is one crossover, which acts as a traffic cop if you will, sending the appropriate frequenices to the respective drivers via capacitors, resistors and inductors.
    Ahh, makes sense. Thanks.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

From the picture, it looks like the crossover breaking out the leads to the various woofers, so I would presume each one is reproducing different frequencies.

Thread Information