Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Help with LSiM's / Amp

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and a recent new owner of some nice LSiM's that I got for a great price but it's a mixed set Mahogany towers, cherry center and surrounds not lsi series). Anyway I'd love to glean some knowledge from those who may know a thing or two. I came from rti a7's which were probably better sized for my 16'd x 20'w room. Eventually I'll be building a media room in the bsmnt where I'll have more room for the lsi's to breathe. My Yammy rcvr claims 140wpc but 2 channels driven. I currently have zone 2 set to bi-amp the towers but they still seem like they need more. I'm still using 12ga monoprice cables and not sure if my $ should go toward better cabling OR, what I'm leaning towards, a 5ch 200wpc amp which used seems to be in my price range (600ish). Sunfire cinema grand for sale locally, or rotel 1075 or adcom 555. Or do I need even more?!! like a 2ch x 300wpc? which might take me a while, maybe an emotiva? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh and I love 2ch music but the system is mostly used for HT. Thanks
    yamaha rx-a2010
    polk LSiM 707 towers
    polk LSiM 706c center
    polk F/XiA6 surrounds
    polk DSWmicroPRO 3000 front sub
    polk DSWmicroPRO 2000 rear sub
    polk 65-LS rears

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Buy an amp first, then better cables. FYI, you're not getting 280wpc from ghetto bi-amping. You're probably getting close to the same wpc from ghetto bi-amping as you would running as normal.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome to Club Polk & congrats on the speakers. Definitely go for the Sunfire amp, It will ensure that your speakers will operate to their full potential. Then take your time and make other upgrades to wire and such when you have funds and the time.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 10-04-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Sunfire amps and polk speaks play very well together. I love mine, and it is more musical than i thought it would be. For HT it is the shizzle.

welcome
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's LSi 7's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS3 Directv Genie HD DVR Sony 55" 3D LED LCD

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's VR3 LSi 9's Audioquest Rocket 33's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre Solid Silver IC's, Pangea PC's

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Buy an amp first, then better cables. FYI, you're not getting 280wpc from ghetto bi-amping. You're probably getting close to the same wpc from ghetto bi-amping as you would running as normal.
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm leaning toward the sunfire amp but wasn't sure if it would be a big enough bump over the 140wpc I currently have. I knew I wasn't getting 280wpc by "ghetto bi-amping" but I was thinking it would be like 140w reserved for lows and a separate 140w for mid/highs. But I guess since my yammy is only 140w with 2 channels driven it is probably can't drive two towers with 4 channels, maybe even robbing the speakers of wattage. I'll get an amp!
    yamaha rx-a2010
    polk LSiM 707 towers
    polk LSiM 706c center
    polk F/XiA6 surrounds
    polk DSWmicroPRO 3000 front sub
    polk DSWmicroPRO 2000 rear sub
    polk 65-LS rears

Also, next time post in a more appropriate section such as Electronics or Speakers. You might get a few more answers.

knew I wasn't getting 280wpc by "ghetto bi-amping" but I was thinking it would be like 140w reserved for lows and a separate 140w for mid/highs.
    That would be 280wpc.

maybe even robbing the speakers of wattage
    That's exactly what is happening.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Get rid of the biwiring in the mean time.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Ummmm.....he's bi-amping, not bi-wiring.

|Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

I will thanks. I figured since it was my first post I should put it in the testing area.

Thread Information