Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

View Poll Results: Grills or no Grills, be heard.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grilled

25 56.82%
  • Grill-less

19 43.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Straw Poll, Grills or no grills and why ?

Ok, who here runs with or without the grills on their speakers and why ? Just curious is all. On Sunday the 29th I brought home my first pair of quality towers and have decided to run grill-less because the look of the driver stacks to me, appears nicer than a plain black monolith. Do share !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Run naked or don't run at all. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Reason? Simply sounds better to me. Less diffraction.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

I have the grills off in the two channel and HT since I like the appearance, and think there is tiny sound improvement. Also, this subject comes up about 4-5 times a year.

My RTA12's have diffraction ramps in the top hats and they were designed to be listened with them on. Also I have no desire in trying to remove dust, hair, and random particles of whatever from 30 year old brittle silk domes as well as tacky MW drivers.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Grills always on. If you're looking at the drivers, you're missing the point of listening to music. Besides that, grills keep the dust away, fingers from poking and more importantly, most speakers are voiced with the grills on.

Be sure to check out previous threads on the same subject matter at the bottom of this page under, Similar Threads.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Depends on my mood. Before I went with the grill cloth from Magnepan, I most always removed them, but the sheerness of the MG-20.7 fabric has made it so there is no difference at all between on or off. I actually like seeing a hint of the drivsrs peeking through the fabric. Looks kind of sexy actually.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    I actually like seeing a hint of the drivsrs peeking through the fabric. Looks kind of sexy actually.
    Kind of like women at the beach in swimsuits vs naked. Leaves something to the imagination and as if you're looking at something you're not supposed to be.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Unless you are sitting in the dark, it is kind of hard to not see the speakers. Even if they aren't in use they look better, to me, with the grills off.

On. In our main entertainment area with 7 speakers, I believe it gives more of a sleek appearance which assists with the wife approval having the large speakers.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Eyes closed.......always sounds better as your hearing becomes more acute.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Tru dat.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

I'm usually not looking at the speakers. It's either looking for the location of my beer or what song to play next.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Grills always on. If you're looking at the drivers, you're missing the point of listening to music. Besides that, grills keep the dust away, fingers from poking and more importantly, most speakers are voiced with the grills on.

Be sure to check out previous threads on the same subject matter at the bottom of this page under, Similar Threads.
    I'm with Jesse on this one.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Bingo, actually I have been giving the wife a tutorial on listening with eyes closed for that exact reason too. Your brain just works that way. Then also with her eyes closed I walk her around the room, and have her stand or sit too to hear the differences. She was amazed btw how some things so minute can have big differences.

I'm in little different situation here. For the Polk SDA 2bs grills off just because they are that impressive to look at. My DCM TF 350s are of a sock style so no joy either way and their pants stay on .With my ADC 303ax the grills stay on because they remind me of the old AR 2a/3a line that besides the Dalquist 10s were the ugliest grill off speakers ever made.Even w/ the Polks it's getting less and less w/ grills off but it is fun to watch the throw on the mids for a second or 2...

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I rarely take my grills off but if the mood strikes me I do.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Jesse and I rarely agree on anything, but in this, I'm with him 100%!

There was a thread about cleaning drivers periodically, well it occurred to me that I hadn't EVER cleaned my drivers since I had purchased them in 1990. Well I took off the grills and started cleaning, half way through I stopped since I wasn't picking up any dirt.

Lesson learned, ignore all of you that profess to listening to speakers with grills off, usually because you think it looks cool. My speakers are there to be listened to not to look at the innards. My speakers all sound just great and are clean as a whistle to boot!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Grills off because I just prefer the look. Sometimes I put them on for a change up. No noticeable difference in sound to me. Also I listen with eyes open because it literally and figuratively allows me to focus on the music. My eyes are drawn to the images within the soundstage and I can focus on their size and shape relative to the room, how they shift and change, etc. To me that's a really cool effect. With eyes closed I lose that sense of focus and tend to drift off, start thinking about random crap, etc.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

While I like the look of my Paradigm's Grill less, the manual states they should be played Grilled..
    I honestly can't really tell the difference although since acquiring my new gear I will give it another listen..

Grills on! Keeps dust out of the EMIT's.
    --Gary--

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Grills yes, but it depends on what's on them: steak, chicken, ribs, fish or shrimp. And also what kind of "rub" you're using and the family recipe for B-cue sauce. Can't grill without a "grill".

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I like grills and tops off!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

For those who have not been around that long.

When this man speaks listen, because he knows what he speaks of.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    "50% Why... That's almost half."
    "I know, I'm sick and need help."
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger

Lights out and naked too!

Grills on, helps keep everything clean and clean looking, helps improve the WAF also.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by brgman View Post
    Lights out and naked too!
    With a bag of cheetoh's and a 6 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon too? lol
    --Gary--

I take the grills off every once in a while just to have a look (how can these sound so good?) or sometimes on Saturday night for an hour or so just because.
    Funny how a lot of speakers are probably sold on looks and not how they sound, wife appeal or "manly" yes!
    But I will take my sort of plain 2.3TLS any day. Besides when I listen.... really listen... I close my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpod View Post
    For those who have not been around that long.

When this man speaks listen, because he knows what he speaks of.

+1 to this and a +1 to PolkieMan in regards to taking the grilles off every now and then, well, just because.

I'd bet that with your eyes closed you can't see which cables are being used, nor can you see if those little cable riser thingies are in use. Hmmmmm...sounds dangerously close to a blinded-evaluator testing endorsement to me. <BIG cheesy grin!>

Am I the only one who hears a difference? My ushers look better with grills, but sound better without. Crazy brought his Vienna bookies over and it was the complete opposite.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thread Information