Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RTiA7, a week in, primary observations from a redneck.

After listening to several sets of speakers and deciding on "the one", last weekend I adopted a pair of RTiA7 towers in black. I had the opportunity to home demo the RTiA9 and LSiM 705, both of which showed a fatal flaw in my system chain, power. So I went a little smaller but not bookie, Sunday the 29th I spent a good time auditioning a pair of Klipsch RF-82 and RTiA5, both had their strong points and weak points. I knew I was narroing down to the final selection with these two BUT was finding the highs on the Klipsch to be harsh sounding and kind of upsetting to my ears but good mid and lows. The RTiA5, smooth highs great midrange and they would most definitely need a sub to have enough bass to satisfy me. Then the idiot salesman decides I'm not done auditioning speakers and fires up a totally separate system with the RTiA7s on the end...an hour later of force feeding the system with my iPhone as a source, I knew that indeed I found my poison.

So herein lies my "Polk era" a pair of shiny new and on sale RTIA7s were loaded into the half ton and dragged happily home. Within an hour of arrival the old towers were displaced into the storage room and the Polks went into their place. Hooked up to the HK 3490 receiver and powered up at home. iPod hooked up for access to 2,900 songs, nothing Telarc mastered. and initial listening commenced, I did kinda up crank it up real high briefly at one point but backed it off to normal listening volumes. the first day, sounded great, without any toe fiddling etc. the imaging to ME was dead center between the towers, but I figured, give them a week of continuous work, iPod fed receiver low volume (lower than you'd run a TV at for the news), bass boosted and just let the cones, breath for a week.

Day 6, Installed the TT into the chain, dropped AC/DC Highway To Hell on the platter and pressed Start, This is what I consider, my kind of reference material. Let this redneck noob share his thoughts. And yes F1 and DSkip...I closed my eyes for a bit...sitting right in the middle, 7 feet back from the wall of sound, speakers approximately 6 feet apart.

Image, Bon Scott, planted right dead center. Still no toe in.

Staging, Angus coming from the right all the way thru HTH, Malcolm from the left as you'd expect, great separation in my mind's eye.

Bass, Strong at moderate to high volumes, kind of weak at lower volumes say that TV news volume level and lower. Picked up a Klipsch KSW10, fixed that issue, replacing the weird 12 inch pile of **** (Yes, I did asterisks myself !)

Overall sound quality before sub added. At moderate to higher volume levels, IMPRESSIVE. Bass is strong, clear and defined, no flab. Midrange is also clear and blends in well with the tweeters to form what I consider, a smooth sound with enough directive that I like. again at the lower levels the bass is a little weak, my only little qualm, might go away after a while so we shall see.

Admittedly, I'm no authority on audio and as always everyone's perceptions are always different and that's what makes this and all the upgrades I've done to my living room system, worth each and every penny.

Value, well, up here in the Great White North...the RTiA7 normally retails for $629.99 per tower. The local store that I purchased them from had them on sale for $399.99 and one of the towers I bought was open box in the truest sense of the word the box was opened but the plastic bag the tower was carfully wrapped in, was never opened. So the salesman knocked another $20 per tower off that price. for a piece of tape being cut on one box. $379.99 per tower. I think that's a spectacular value for what's making me one happy man.

Again, take this mini review for what it's worth, I ain't no pro, if the terminology is wrong...big deal. they are my words, my thoughts and I own the things and I'm HAPPY, that's what counts, right ?

Ken
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

They are nice sounding speakers. The low end really comes alive when you throw some power to them. That HK3490 should do them well. I have been told it has a fairly good amp built in.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I enjoyed your mini review, quite refreshing and thanks for posting it.

If I may offer a few suggestions for getting better bass at lower and higher volumes. Get a good 2 channel amp and run a dedicated 20 amp line or two.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    ...run a dedicated 20 amp line or two.
    If I'm not mistaken he said this is not a possibility.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    If I'm not mistaken he said this is not a possibility.
    Nightfall, you would be correct, but eh...I got nice low end at the lower volumes with the KSW10, fills that little notch quite well. crank it up as a whole and it all melds together quite nicely :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

It's always a possibility, so what do you think is standing in the way?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

F1, the house eletrical box, is full, to add more circuits, would require replacement of said box and partial rewire of the house, a few quotes have been done, lowest was near five grand and that was with a good friend. It's unaffordable at the moment so we make due with what we have. I am however looking into purchasing a used Parasound HCA-1200 or two at this time, since the dryer is 110 on it's own circuit and the heat is natural gas, I could run one or both Parasounds off that circuit provided the dryer isn't running and possibly do a correct bi-amp of the A7s, we shall see if that pans out or not. I can always use the HK 3490 as a pre-amp if need be to tide me over til I can get an honest pre-amp.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 10-06-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

A full box just means it's time to add a sub-panel. :)

I've got to tell you 5 grand for a new box and some additional lines is way over the top.

Ah yes, but where I live, if a modification like a box replacement is done, the rest of the system in the house must be brought up to current code, tis the law around these parts I'm afraid. Permit has to be issued, final work inspected etc.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

No kidding, that's just wrong.

What about adding a sub-panel? It's not a box replacement. Heck, if you have half an idea of what you're doing, you can add a sub-panel yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jbooker82 View Post
    They are nice sounding speakers. The low end really comes alive when you throw some power to them. That HK3490 should do them well. I have been told it has a fairly good amp built in.
    Thank you and yes, they are terrific sounding towers, my first foray into quality audio. Yes, the HK3490 has a fairly decent amp in it, 120 wpc stereo, it's only a 2 channel receiver so no 5.1 funny stuff. 45 amps current capability. While not a ton, it sure can drive the RTiA7 to nice loudness without any distortion. As I said in the first post in this thread, I'm happy, that's the main thing :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

No kidding, that's just wrong.

What about adding a sub-panel? It's not a box replacement. Heck, if you have half an idea of what you're doing, you can add a sub-panel yourself.
    Sadly, the box itself doesn't meet code requirements. There is already a sub panel of sorts already sprouting from it as well. poor thing is just maxed out.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Are you talking about $5K for a new 200 amp panel? I thought CA was expensive and regulation happy, but my 200 amp panel was around 2K, and no permit. However, now I wonder if the contractor skipped that part.

Anyway, a new panel can work wonders. I had mine installed right before I went on my current two channel binge, but was into HT. The reason why I replaced it was because my spa breaker was next to the breaker of the circuit I had my HT gear plugged into. I was using a Panamax power conditioner, and could see the voltage fluctuating. I thought it was PG&E causing this, but it was the spa breaker arching, and causing issues on my HT circuit. Another thing with the original panel was when the washing machine, or refrigerator, ran, the lights on another (the HT) circuit would flicker. Replacing the panel fixed both of those problems, and I am sure having the new panel has helped me get the best out of my stereo.

Sadly, the box itself doesn't meet code requirements.
    By any chance, is it a Federal-Pacific box?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Are you talking about $5K for a new 200 amp panel? I thought CA was expensive and regulation happy, but my 200 amp panel was around 2K, and no permit. However, now I wonder if the contractor skipped that part.
    NO Politics...but yeah, governmentum is bad here...left hand and right hand have no idea what the other is doing in some cases...

And in most jurisdictions a permit has to be pulled to do major electrical work, any questions, simply call your city or municipal hall. Panels are major electrical work by the way.

Anyways, back to the incredible items living downstairs in the basement...how else can I say I love them ? :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Awesome! Enjoy the sonic goodness.

You are now hooked and on the path with the rest of us

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

I loved my old RTi A7's. I had them hooked to my Parasound HCA 1500A for a brief time and it really filled them out.

The 3490 will do a pretty damn good job with them. However I would never consider not having my amp hooked up to a dedicated line. You're in a bit of a tough situation with your power limitations.

You could always swap the dryer (is your stove electric?) to gas since you have the lines already and open up those breakers.

I have a lot of open space in my panel since my house was built with electrical everything (stove, furnace and dryer) and it was all converted to gas.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

By any chance, is it a Federal-Pacific box?
    Hope not, weak bass at low volume will be the least of his problems!
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Quote Originally Posted by B Run View Post
    Hope not, weak bass at low volume will be the least of his problems!
    That's why I asked......

Square-D....but old, house dates back into the '50s....Looks like an upgrade box, but definitely not a 200 amp one.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

To OP: please disregard my HT speaker specific comments on your other thread as I wasn't aware you're runnin' 2ch. I'm not suprised your HK would do a respectful job driving those current lovin' speakers.

You'll love 'em more after 100 [even more after 200(!)] hours.

Enjoy! Tony
    Samsung 60" LED
    Rotel 1068
    LG BDP
    Denon LDP
    LR: RTi A7*** Biamped w/TDM EXO
    MT: Rotel RB985->AR 12 ga->MT feed & mids wired w/AR 12ga
    Subs: Belles 1 for each LR subs->MC 10ga->wired w/8ga Powerline

CC: Rotel RB985->AR 12 ga->CSi A6, mids wired w/AR12 * ***
    SW: Seismic Audio powered 18" wired w/AR12
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280->fed & wired w/AR12->RTi A1**
    *Bi** or tri***-amped one day

Quote Originally Posted by gp4jesus View Post
    To OP: please disregard my HT speaker specific comments on your other thread as I wasn't aware you're runnin' 2ch. I'm not suprised your HK would do a respectful job driving those current lovin' speakers.

You'll love 'em more after 100 [even more after 200(!)] hours.

Enjoy! Tony
    Huhwha?
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

This review will need an update in a few days...just picked up a Parasound HCA-1200II..the A7's won't know what him em ! I thinnk I'm now firmly entrenched in the rabbit hole...
    Last edited by nbrowser; 12-07-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Hello Nbrowser,

Enjoy your new amp. I think your 7's be impressed.

They will be in a7th heaven when you get that amp installed. Watch out the further you get in the hole the steeper it becomes!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

In less than 30 minutes of getting it home...

...HK 3490 came out, speaker cables disconnected
    Jumper pins removed from Pre-Out-AMP-IN area
    Decent interconnects shoved into the PRE-OUT jacks
    Speaker cabling shoved into the back of the HCA-1200II
    Interconnects shoved into HCA-1200II
    Power Cable Shoved into HCA-1200II
    Powered up....warm up begun and listening commenced...HOLY CRAP !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

LOL enjoy yourself!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I love mine. I went out and bought the RTiA9's for the front, A6 for the Center, RtiA7's for the sides, and RtiA3's for my rears. That is when I realized that my Dennon 1911 was insufficient. They sounded bright. I upgraded to a denon 3311 with a sunfire cinema grand signature serives amplifier and WOW!!!!. The extra wattage made the mid range and more of the bottom end come alive. They sound really good. Between them and my two rythmik 15s you can feel the movies. Tanks roll through the living room, gun shots hit you in the chest, explosions shake the house. It is fun. I am now dissapointed when going to the movie theater. I will say that even though the RTIA9's are amazing, they are HUGE and I do kind of wish that I would have bought the A7s to go around. I also bought black even though the cherry are beautiful, because speaker wood colors come and go with trends, but I wish I would have bought the Cherry instead. Overall the sound is excellent.
    RS&LS: Polk Rti A7's- RR&RL: Polk Rti A3's
    SUB: Rythmik FV15HP X2

Living Room:
    Receiver: Panisonic SC-1522 - Amplifier: Sherbourn 5/1500A
    Center: Polk CS20 FR&L: TSi 500 RS&LS: Polk TSi400 - R
    R&RL: Polk TSi200 SUB: HSU VTF 15H x2

Whole Home Audio: - Speakercraft: MZC 66 X2
    Outdoor: Atrium 5 - Indoor: Rc85i X 2 - TC80i X8

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    In less than 30 minutes of getting it home...

...HK 3490 came out, speaker cables disconnected
    Jumper pins removed from Pre-Out-AMP-IN area
    Decent interconnects shoved into the PRE-OUT jacks
    Speaker cabling shoved into the back of the HCA-1200II
    Interconnects shoved into HCA-1200II
    Power Cable Shoved into HCA-1200II
    Powered up....warm up begun and listening commenced...HOLY CRAP !
    I know exactly what you mean. I had my M70's running off a 3490 and then used it as a preamp for the B&K....similar reaction to yours.

Enjoy your new fun.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

hochpt...the HOLY CRAP !!! moment came within 5 seconds of the 3490 hitting -35 on the display and hearing the system was considerably louder than it was before, with such clarity, the highs...you could hear the HCA-1200II wasn't as bright as the 3490's own amp and this I liked. But I could detect the increased headroom, stuff the 3490 would struggle with, were being handled easily by the Parasound...colour me impressed, I know I've got a lot of critical listening to do but damn...I'm lovin this amp.

Now to wait for F1 and DSkip to rain on my parade but eh...lol
    Last edited by nbrowser; 12-07-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom