Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default A2-300 configuration

So I just bought Bills A2-300 sub. I need some help on figuring out how I should set it up. I have seen the following 2 setups and am unsure which I should do.

Option 1. Connect the LFE output from my AVR to the LFE input on the sub
    Option 2. Connect the LFE output from my AVR to a Y-Splitter and connect to the RCA inputs on the sub

Which is going to be better? IIRC the reason folks do #2 is that it gives you a 3db boost to the signal which means a louder output but I could be wrong.

In addition I have the following questions:

Questions regarding Option 1

What LFE cable should I get? Would a cheap Blue Jeans Cable Belden interconnect work? Or should I go with something a bit more expensive? For now I have a 5m Audioquest Sidewinder I can steal from my 2 channel system, but need to get something for this sub.

Questions regarding Option 2

What LFE cable should I get? Should I go with the same sub cable and then just use a y-splitter at the end of it and if so what y splitter should I use or does it matter. Or do they make decently long cables that split at the end so you have one solid connection rather than using 2 cables?

Regarding placement, I plan on putting it between the loveseat and the entertainment center with the port firing toward the other wall. Its the only real place I can put it that wont be an issue. If I were to put it on the opposite side by the stairs, it would sit directly next to the air return and the entire wall the stairs is on is just drywall and then an empty hole all the way through to the bathroom at the front of the house. The corner I plan on putting it in has a brick exterior and then a insulated 2x4 wall. The rear wall is IIRC the firewall between my unit and my neighbors and may be concrete block, or at least thicker drywall than normal but I am not 100% sure.

I wont bore you with setup pictures, but my setup can be found here. I need to update the cable management pics since I no longer have MIT IC's and SC's as well as my equipment has changed as well.
    Last edited by EndersShadow; 10-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

And here she sits:

Attachment 90631

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Hey Dan I think just about any decent cable is fine on a sub, I have found however that upgrading the power cord (when Applicable) does yield a noticeable improvement in tone, texture, and weight. As you mention, all a splitter does is increase volume 3 db, and is therefore unnecessary unless the volume is too low which I can't imagine being the case.

Congrats and Let us know how it sounds!

I love and hate this hobby lol.

Got the Integra back, got the sub.

Just re-wired everything to put the Integra back in.

Then re-programmed the Harmony One to use the Integra

Now having to re-run Audyssey...

Hell when I am done my wife will be back and I wont get to test it out anymore lol

Sales Rating
    Gear

I TOTALLY know what you mean Dan. Between my crazy work schedule and my 87 children I literally haven't even powered on the yammie I bought from Scotty. I really wanna hook it up, but it may be awhile. Oh well...the problems white people have!

How much for the lazy dog?

Not for sale. LOVE my Corgi fox

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Not for sale. LOVE my Corgi fox
    It looks lazy. You should make it get me a beer or something.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

LOL...

Well fella's here is my initial input.

I threw in War of the Worlds. I set the AVR at 47 (out of 75 max). Audyssey set the level at -15 db. I had the gain about 75% of the way up.

When the Pods Emerge at ~21 mins in, I was hitting 104 db with EASE. Keeping in mind I have my child watching with me, I didnt crank it any more....

Oh and it peaked at ~110 db lol.........

Yeah, life is GOOD!

Now to throw back in Kung Fu Panda and just sit back and enjoy.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information