Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default another cable question

What do you guys think of coax cables with rca's attached...There is a guy on fleabay who makes them and has a good rep, says they work great....

what say you...?

Brent
    Hafler XL-280 - NAD 1020 - Sansui TU-666 - B&O TX2/SoundSmith - Monitor 10b-2A (living room)

Marantz 1060 - Infinity RSe - I-job (garage/mancave)

How many cable manufacturers offer those for sale? Zero? One? I think that gives a clue as to the benefit of putting RCA connectors on coax.

thats why I'm asking...seemed odd...
    Hafler XL-280 - NAD 1020 - Sansui TU-666 - B&O TX2/SoundSmith - Monitor 10b-2A (living room)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    How many cable manufacturers offer those for sale? Zero? One? I think that gives a clue as to the benefit of putting RCA connectors on coax.
    Morrow, Audioquest VDM-1, Grover Huffman... Douglas cables... all have RCA. Am I misunderstanding the question?
    Polk RTA 11T ....new Xovers( Gen1 + Mundorf MOX), rewired, damped, Armacell, rings, spikes, RDO-194....
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Peachtree DAC-IT
    Morrow, Huffman cables
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Is it a good choice for analog audio or no...?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Dynaudio Ocos speaker cables are a coaxial design

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/27046
    Last edited by txcoastal1; 04-19-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by 11tsteve View Post
    Morrow, Audioquest VDM-1, Grover Huffman... Douglas cables... all have RCA. Am I misunderstanding the question?
    They use coax? The same cable as for cable TV?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Coax is a cable design not exclusive to TV cables. Center conductor with full outer shield carrying a signal. This is different than a pair of identical conductors carrying the signals in a paired design.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by BKphoto View Post
    What do you guys think of coax cables with rca's attached...
    The only coax with RCA's I've seen are sold as a LFE sub cable.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    The only coax with RCA's I've seen are sold as a LFE sub cable.
    I will only use this if I have no other option and the wires I ran (in-wall) for a sub are picking up a hum from romex.
    They are very well shielded, but not my ideal cable for anything.
    I would look at Interflex by Liberty. Its like a fancy RG59 for audio. http://www.libertycable.com/products...ct-manufacture
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Rotel RC-1550
    Rotel RB-1070
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

i was just bouncing around ebay and saw it...Sent him a quick email just to see if they are used for audio and he said yes...Again I thought it was odd, I'm not buying anything, just wondering...

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Blue Jeans audio cables are coax designs. The good thing about coax is that it is typically a solid core conductor which many believe is superior to stranded cable for unbalanced audio cables.

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

75 ohm Coax can be used for IC duties.The stranded core Canare LS61 is a great digital cable but also functions well as an analog IC.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    Blue Jeans audio cables are coax designs.
    I forgot about that, I've heard a lot of good things about those cables...

Member Sales Rating: (12)

What do you guys think of coax cables with rca's attached...There is a guy on fleabay who makes them and has a good rep, says they work great....

what say you...?

Brent
    They absolutely do work great. And yes, I have tried high end cables from big name makers. I used coax IC's for years until I went all balanced due to a diy DAC. Usually stranded center wire coax is used as they are more flexible than a solid center conductor.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Good thread. I am learning something. I have never heard of coax (which in my mind is cable TV cable) being used for analog interconnects, which is how I interpreted the question. I do have a Blue Jeans custom coax cable with RCA on one end and BNC on the other, but it is a digital cable to connect my Wadia iTransport to a Benchmark DAC.

the Audioquest 75 ohm digital cables are a solid conductor, and I believe my Huffman digital IC is as well.
    Polk RTA 11T ....new Xovers( Gen1 + Mundorf MOX), rewired, damped, Armacell, rings, spikes, RDO-194....
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Peachtree DAC-IT
    Morrow, Huffman cables
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Also, Chris Venhaus uses 75 Ohm coaxial cable that can be used for digital or analog IC's. I used this in my DAC andhave made a digital cable out of it. It is fantasic wire!

Link: http://www.vhaudio.com/images/pulsar-ag-occ-silver.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (14)

The Coax designed cable is used for many different applications. It has extremely high band width and can carry multiple different signals at one time.
    In todays market, customer Installers use this style cable for sending cable signal around ones home. With those cables in place we can also send network signals on top of the cable signal with a Balun device. So with one cable you can have cable service and network service at one location. Pretty damn badass.
    Years ago the coax cable was used for DSS signals from the Dish to the box. Over this same cable you can send a Roof Top Antenna signal on top of the DSS signal with a special 2 way splitter on both ends. It has a power pass for the DSS and a pass through for the Antenna feed. Both signals work perfectly over the one cable.
    Now for long Subwoofer runs in wall and what have you, the Coax cable is again used here. It has the ability to send the Subwoofer signal long lengths with excellent results.
    I have used both twisted pair and coax designed built subwoofer cables and I have never noticed a difference in equal quality cables.
    All Digital coax cables are designed out of Coax cable. When properly terminated , it meets spec of 75 ohms.
    All proper analog video cables are coax design.
    Full bandwidth analog pass is not ideal over a Coax designed cable as it's resistance is higher then spec. Coax is 75 ohms and analog spec is between 44 and 50 ohms depending on who you talk to. This is a very gray area where no one agrees on what the exact proper unbalanced spec is. I have tried for years to learn what this is and I always get different answers.

Now personally I have used coax designed cables with excellent success. The higher ohm resistance doesn't seem to effect performance volume or anything I have noticed. But most cable companies use twisted pair design mostly for analog transmission. But some of those same companies will use a custom built coax design cable for analog as well.
    Audioquest has a custom ITA line which uses a Coax design. It has a solid core conductor but the negative or shield is different. It's made out of solid core conductors instead of the coax braid. They do however use the braid on the custom built video cables which I have tested for audio and didn't notice any performance loss or gain or that matter.

I think why over the decades of cable threads go south it due to the fact there is to many opinions on how to get these signals from A to B properly. You ask 10 different companies the right questions and 10 different answers you will get. I know this from professional experience as I tried to unravel the truth behind cable design and getting the job done.
    One thing I did find that seems to hold true to most companies is this.
    1) Quality of metal effects the transmission of a signal.
    2) Dielectrics effect proper signal pass.
    3) Geometry of the conductors effect signal pass.
    4) Properly terminated cables effect the signal pass.
    So basically breaking it down to the bare essentials no matter who what or why a cable is designed for a purpose , that cable needs to be able to pass the signal from the source to the end point unaltered. All cables add distortion of some kind as they have to be in place to carry the signal. The real goal to minimize this loss and not pick anything up along the way.
    Last edited by mantis; Yesterday at 07:18 AM.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Lots of coax is copper clad steel. Steel sucks for audio.

Be careful thinking you can pick up just any coax and believing you're going to make diamonds from ordinary rocks.

CJ
    As seen on the AVS forum... "Radio Shack zip cord kicks butt."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJazz View Post
    Lots of coax is copper clad steel. Steel sucks for audio.

Be careful thinking you can pick up just any coax and believing you're going to make diamonds from ordinary rocks.

CJ
    Amen to that...not all coax cable is created equal.

RG6 is a good coax....

correct...?

Coax comes in many flavors. Here' same short story.

http://www.belden.com/blog/broadcast...-Impedance.cfm
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

RG6 is a good coax....

correct...?
    Not to say what good or not good, but I will say as Tony has said not all coax is created equal. I install CCTV for a living and there is a lot of sub par coax. Many manufacturers don't use all copper or the braid is of cheap copper.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Not to say what good or not good, but I will say as Tony has said not all coax is created equal. I install CCTV for a living and there is a lot of sub par coax. Many manufacturers don't use all copper or the braid is of cheap copper.
    I see, Yeah that stuff is copper "clad"... not interested....but I definitely learned something today....since I'm stuck here with 2 sick kids...

Thread Information