Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default $12 speaker wire...

Ok, tonyb hit a nerve with me in a thread to another user, new receiver, new speakers, $12 speaker wire.

Honestly, it was a good nerve for me, I have a relatively new pair of speakers (less than 2 weeks old) and a receiver that's about 2 months old. Three extremely good pieces of audio equipment tied together with $12 speaker wire. I went looking online and managed to land myself on the MIT website, had a heart attack and recovered.

Now while I don't have north of $2,000 to spend on wire I do have a more modest budget of $200-$350 for a half decent set that will improve what I have but not put me into the poor house.

I do have some quality ICs connecting devices including straight optical between PS3 and HK3490. But nothing is emblazoned with the word...Monster.

Runs, Oh 4 runs 8 foot long, preference towards no banana plugs or spades, eliminates just another place where a connection can fail. Any ideas ?

Ken
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

|Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Clear Day will mail you a set to audition if your interested.
    Signal cable
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    Cambridge Audio tuner
    Yaquin tube buffer (PearsAll)
    Rotel RCD1072
    Morrow Sp3
    Morrow Xlr
    Lsi15 w/Fortress mod.

Bedroom
    HK3490
    Adcom 555
    Marantz 5003
    Monitor 70 II
    Signal cables

Member Sales Rating: (13)

preference towards no banana plugs or spades, eliminates just another place where a connection can fail.
    Either beats the hell out of oxidized copper, which will start doing so from day one.

FYI, new and used MIT cables can be had for less money at places like Audiogon and eBay.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Best speaker wires and IC's I have used to date, and I have had MIT's as well...

For the money, Doug is the place I would spend my money.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

For example, these are really nice cables and in your budget. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIT-AVt-1-Sp...item4613f4e478

Or these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIT-AVT-3-Sp...item41778ca351
    Last edited by F1nut; 10-09-2013 at 02:15 AM.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Jesse, I also while not all that convinced about boutique /expensive spkr cable saw an E-bAY add for some Audioquest 8' 16/2 w/ bananas and pins which I need on both ends. I already as you know use my world famous 14/2 clear. Would going up and losing a gauge be better w/ quality wire then staying w/ the lower 14 gu nothing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...n#ht_404wt_924

Even better found 10' lenght which would work for sure for my spred and has same ends for $30 + shipping .I already did money x-fer so I need to know if this stuff is REALLY worth it. I know it's not going to break me but if octaves/quality above what I already have this move I can do. Tweeters are still over a month away ,maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AudioQue...a#ht_405wt_924

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Ok, tonyb hit a nerve with me in a thread to another user, new receiver, new speakers, $12 speaker wire.

Ken
    Sorry about that Ken. My post was intended to get people to think about cables as another piece of gear, not hit any nerves or start arguments. I'm not advocating people go out and spend thousands on cables either, there are plenty of options for a couple hundies, even less, that is way better than Monoprice or cheap Ebay stuff. I simply don't get how one can spend close to 2k on a receiver and speakers and hook it all up with the absolute cheapest cables they can find. Am I wrong in thinking that way ?

Tony, not at all, then again I'm not using cheap wire, it is 10 years old granted. Not fancy but did cost me at the time if I recall correctly, $4 a foot 12 gauge and doesn't corrode too quickly. I think in the past decade I've had to do maybe 2 cut and strips of the ends. But I think it's time to upgrade to something a bit better. The living room system while not the most pricey, should be at least connected together better. Am I wrong too ? :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

If you're looking for a cheaper entry, try to find some PNF audio Symphony cables. They can be had for under $100 shipped and are excellent cables. Doug makes excellent cables with craftsmanship that rivals any I've seen, hand-made or machined. His prices are more than fair given the time and effort he puts into making them. You should also consider bi-wire versions or upgrading those jumper plates to some actual jumper cables.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I think in the past decade I've had to do maybe 2 cut and strips of the ends.
    Your apparent preference for bare wire is part of the problem. Bare wire will oxidize over time. Good quality connectors, properly crimped to form a gas-tight connection will solve that issue.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Better connectivity deals with not just better cable but better connections. Using a decent terminal, cleaning connections, and maybe even using an electrical contact cleaner like Kontak that was design for Military sensitive equipment use can improve ANY cable connection....even your current ones.

I've used Kontak for years but the tube I had leaked dry awhile back. Too bad because I did not have to pay for it. I might get some more someday...but i will hae to pay for it this time.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Wow. This thread just blew me away. I've only ever used plain old speaker wire with bare ends.
    Sony KDL-55EX500 TV
    Sony BDP-S570 blue ray player
    Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver
    Front L/R: Polk RT55i
    Front high: Polk RT25i
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Surround: Polk RT35i
    Sub: Polk PSW505

It's never too late to step up your game.

Welp, looks like the speaker wire upgrade will have to wait...my truck decided to blow a gasket....literally, head gasket went boom, looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend...grrrrrrrr
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

, looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend...grrrrrrrr

Saying screw it all, buy a new truck, drink some Molson's....?

Lol I am gonna fix it, nice lil '97 F150 with a V6, happened a few blocks from work where I am a licensed automotive mechanic...picked up $350 my cost worth of gaskets and new head bolts...gonna start the teardown in about an hour, hopefully no real surprises there. Need my wheels, transit is not an option for getting from home to work.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Did it overheat? Hopefully the head doesn't need to be milled? I do not envy how much work you have in front of you, sorry to hear.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Nightfall, no overheating, a mechanics straight edge on the left bank head showed no source of warpage, however an intake gasket also bit it....and left a rather nice mess in the engine....ew gonna get the other head off in the AM, clean everything up, reassemble and do a triple oil change and cooling system flush or two...but yeah....messy....

Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

That doesn't look like a lot of fun, I'm sure you would rather be listening to some music
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

I've been very pleased with my Supra speaker cables. They have gone up in price since I bought mine but still not terribly expensive.

http://www.sjofnhifi.com/servlet/Detail?no=125
    Here by the sea and sand nothing ever goes as planned.

McIntosh MC 7270 ~ Purity Line Stage (6SN7) ~ Rogue Stealth Phono Pre ~ Denon 5910 ~ Vandersteen 3A ~ VPI HW19 Mk III with upgraded platter, SME tonearm and Ortofon Kontrapunkt A cartridge

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I've used Supra cables. They are good, but I would not consider them a mid-range, upper mid-range or high end cable by any means. More of a lower mid-range cable, but you will notice a difference with them certainly over $12 speaker cable. That is true of *almost* any speaker cable though.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    I've used Supra cables. They are good, but I would not consider them a mid-range, upper mid-range or high end cable by any means. More of a lower mid-range cable, but you will notice a difference with them certainly over $12 speaker cable. That is true of *almost* any speaker cable though.
    That may or may not be true but I'd rather see him spend $130 than $1000. When you spend that much $ expectations run high and disappointment could follow. I'd rather see the OP take baby steps.

As always YMMV............P-man
    Here by the sea and sand nothing ever goes as planned.

McIntosh MC 7270 ~ Purity Line Stage (6SN7) ~ Rogue Stealth Phono Pre ~ Denon 5910 ~ Vandersteen 3A ~ VPI HW19 Mk III with upgraded platter, SME tonearm and Ortofon Kontrapunkt A cartridge

move the speakers into the garage and listen while you work :)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
    move the speakers into the garage and listen while you work :)
    Ah sadly the logistics of transporting big towers an hour drive away for a two day shootout job wasn't realistic LOL. Finished the work up about 11:30 Pacific Time Sunday night, took my truck home from the shop I work at. Thankfully I have a great employer who lets me use the shop after hours as we aren't open Sundays.

However, new speaker cabling, has to wait now for a bit as the budget reappears.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

However, new speaker cabling, has to wait now for a bit as the budget reappears.
    I've offered my MIT AVT2s to a close friend, who does not seem interested (on the fence). When your coin frees-up, PM me. Maybe we can work out a deal. I believe they're in your price range.

G
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Glenn, thanks for the offer, but at the moment, there is some coin, just not enough for MIT stuff. I "almost" picked up a 50 foot spool of Monster XPHP and banana plugs the other day....it looked pretty...but the brain actually said no....
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Bedroom
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

You REALLY should consider those AVT2's. Not terribly expensive and big improvement in sound.

Craig

Thread Information