Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What av receiver?

Hi.

Its my first time to build a home theater setup. Am planning on purchasing either rti a7 or a9. Which av receiver would sound warm and power the speakers well for music and movies? Am torn between onkyo tx-nr1010 or a pioneer av receiver with d3 amps.
    Feedbacks and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Pioneer SC Series for the A7's.

I would get the tx-nr1010 since it has audyssey XT32.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

If you're a Costco member check out the Pioneer SC1222K, supposedly a rebadged SC61. On sale right now for $469. I'm considering one myself.

Welcome to CP. Check your wallet at the door!

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    If you're a Costco member check out the Pioneer SC1222K, supposedly a rebadged SC61. On sale right now for $469. I'm considering one myself.

Welcome to CP. Check your wallet at the door!
    This would be a good choice. I have the SC-61, the differences I'm aware of are no 12 volt trigger on the SC 1222K and a 2 year warranty for the Elite models (SC-61) vs 1 year for the 1222. But Ken, would you get Costco's "concierge" warranty which would double the 1222 to 2 years? If so, and you can do without the 12 volt trigger, that one's a great buy IMO.

And yes, welcome Nic!

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
    This would be a good choice. I have the SC-61, the differences I'm aware of are no 12 volt trigger on the SC 1222K and a 2 year warranty for the Elite models (SC-61) vs 1 year for the 1222. But Ken, would you get Costco's "concierge" warranty which would double the 1222 to 2 years? If so, and you can do without the 12 volt trigger, that one's a great buy IMO.

And yes, welcome Nic!
    Good to hear. Wife is out of town this weekend, might be time for a "stealth buy"...

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

The D3 receivers are nice for what they are; good luck!

Good to hear. Wife is out of town this weekend, might be time for a "stealth buy"...
    Uh huh. You've been married awhile and already know it's easier to ask for forgiveness later than permission up front!

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
    Uh huh. You've been married awhile and already know it's easier to ask for forgiveness later than permission up front!
    You betcha, 21 years brother. The last time I tried it was moving LS90's in place of my 50's. She figured that out immediately. My 01 and the 1222 look so much alike she may not notice...

You betcha, 21 years brother. The last time I tried it was moving LS90's in place of my 50's. She figured that out immediately. My 01 and the 1222 look so much alike she may not notice...
    Oh what a tangled web we weave...! Hope you enjoy the new avr if you pick it up...

What about this one?
    Pioneer SC-63 for $599 (original price was $1300???).
    Channels: 7.2-Channel
    Power Output:
    630 W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 8 ohms)
    200 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 4 ohms)
    165 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 6 ohms)
    125 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 0.08 % @ 8 ohms)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117433

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

I am actually leaning towards the onkyo tx-nr1010 because i think it has a better room correction than the pioneers.
    Anyway, i think the a7 and the a9 does not have much difference with their sound. What i want to know is what would be the sound when i'll be running the a7's with the above mentioned onkyo model? Also, how are the a7's sound compared to the newer tsx550t?

I run an Onkyo 1010 in my ht setup...pretty good piece...you won't be disappointed!

You can't go wrong with either the Pioneer Elite line or the Yamaha Aventage line both are very solid performers..

Quote Originally Posted by Msabot1 View Post
    I run an Onkyo 1010 in my ht setup...pretty good piece...you won't be disappointed!

Are you running rti's on your 1010? How does it sound?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Pioneer Elite SC-xx

Screw the auto room correction, you should always fine tune that yourself.

There is a major difference between the A7's and A9's. There isn't an AVR made that can drive the A9's anywhere close to what they require.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Not sure if you bought anything but as an onkyo owner for 15 years I went pioneer elite this time around. My jaw is still on the floor. I bought the sc 63 and cranked it up to 0 db last night. Amazing is all I can say

Member Sales Rating: (16)

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Pioneer Elite SC-xx

Screw the auto room correction, you should always fine tune that yourself.

There is a major difference between the A7's and A9's. There isn't an AVR made that can drive the A9's anywhere close to what they require.
    Agreed...which is why I have the A7s :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Agreed...which is why I have the A7s :)
    For lower listening preference, ok. However, I'd still probably add an external amp to A7's. The A9's require power for the full potential.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Thorton View Post
    For lower listening preference, ok. However, I'd still probably add an external amp to A7's. The A9's require power for the full potential.
    Agreed again, but for now....feeding the A7s 120 watts with some current ain't too bad, they do go quite loud easily and cleanly for now. All controls on the receiver are flat (bass/treble) and I simply tap the sub for a lil extra kick in the low end. gonna be a while til I can do an honest big power amp but for now, I'm happy.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Agreed again, but for now....feeding the A7s 120 watts with some current ain't too bad, they do go quite loud easily and cleanly for now. All controls on the receiver are flat (bass/treble) and I simply tap the sub for a lil extra kick in the low end. gonna be a while til I can do an honest big power amp but for now, I'm happy.
    I do agree with you. The choice in AVR power can make a significant difference. My older Denon AVR rated at 120 w/c was no match to an external amp for both SQ and power with the A7's. I also learned with this AVR to not push the volume too much. For most people, the A7's with a higher powered Pioneer Elite will just be fine. But once you add an external amp, everything changes. If you're happy with what you have, great! Why spend more money. Or wait till you have enough funds to try something else. Everyone has a different level of satisfaction.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Thorton View Post
    I do agree with you. The choice in AVR power can make a significant difference. My older Denon AVR rated at 120 w/c was no match to an external amp for both SQ and power with the A7's. I also learned with this AVR to not push the volume too much. For most people, the A7's with a higher powered Pioneer Elite will just be fine. But once you add an external amp, everything changes. If you're happy with what you have, great! Why spend more money. Or wait till you have enough funds to try something else. Everyone has a different level of satisfaction.
    Are y'all trying to see who can go deaf first?

Zoomilla, the RTiA7 is a 4 driver tower, dual 7 inch woofers, a single 6.5 inch midrange and 1 tweeter, per side, it takes a bit of power to wake such a tower up enough. Hook them up to a receiver that outputs oh say 30 watts of no current power and chances are when turned up to appreciable volume levels, you'll blow something in them due to lack of power as the amp in the receiver would be clipping so badly sending a bad signal to the speaker.

I'm running what could be considered bare minimum as far as I'm even concerned for power to my pair. But my receiver does happen to have a Pre-Out to feed an external amplifier, when I can afford to do it, I'll invest in around 250 watts of high quality power, think Parasound or (don't flame me) Emotiva. More quality power to throw around means more control, more clean power also wakes the speakers up nicely, adding bass to lower volume levels, cleaner output higher up in the volume range. (See I am learning). It's not about how loud the system is at 11, it's how clean the sound it, how balanced the sound is, not about being able to make it go to 11. While I like it kinda loud, I don't like clipping, distortion and blown speakers.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004