Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: whats next?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Jestered View Post
    Another one that apparently has no clue what the actual question was and has not taken the time to actually read.
    Pay attention, the thread has morphed beyond that. You contributed to that. You are more on than off. ;)
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (0)

That's actually true. And if the rest of the haters in this thread would have actually read and understood the equipment I was asking about, they probably would have agreed as well. Unfortunately, there's not enough listening and too much crap talk here.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    Polk RTiA5's - Front Towers
    Polk CSiA6 - Center Channel
    Polk RT15i's - Side Surrounds
    Polk FXiA4's - Rear Surrounds
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Jestered, many things go down on this forum, but grudges are generally not held. I've had intense bickering a with quite a few members now, and all but one had the ability to see through the mess and put those interchanges aside and get to the fact of the matter. We try to help people here, but inexcusable ignorance is one that hits a nerve. Experience trumps those notions in your head, you've just got to be willing to lift the veil.

If John had sent me his number, I'd be on the phone wi him now. He is one of those guys whose opinion I respect so much that I want to do nothing but learn from their experiences.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Pay attention, the thread has morphed beyond that. You contributed to that. You are more on than off. ;)
    I'm only one when the "masses" are on. What does that tell you?
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

That's actually true. And if the rest of the haters in this thread would have actually read and understood the equipment I was asking about, they probably would have agreed as well. Unfortunately, there's not enough listening and too much crap talk here.
    But we understand your point and still don't agree. We've all seen them before and probably had the same notions at one point in this hobby.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Jestered, many things go down on this forum, but grudges are generally not held. I've had intense bickering a with quite a few members now, and all but one had the ability to see through the mess and put those interchanges aside and get to the fact of the matter. We try to help people here, but inexcusable ignorance is one that hits a nerve. Experience trumps those notions in your head, you've just got to be willing to lift the veil.

If John had sent me his number, I'd be on the phone wi him now. He is one of those guys whose opinion I respect so much that I want to do nothing but learn from their experiences.
    DSkip- I'm pretty much the same. And your comment would have been a perfect start to that until this:

but inexcusable ignorance is one that hits a nerve

You're either horrible at what you were trying to accomplish, or you really good at it.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Hrm Pioneer rates the VSX-53 as 110wpc into 8 ohms x 7 according to its user manual...not 80 like its owner claims...interesting, but how would it perform while powering 7 seperate speaker is a whole 'nother question.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

DSkip- I'm pretty much the same. And your comment would have been a perfect start to that until this:

but inexcusable ignorance is one that hits a nerve

You're either horrible at what you were trying to accomplish, or you really good at it.
    John was willing to take time out of his night and try to put the pieces together for you. You not willing to accept that offer is inexcusable, therefore your ignorance is inexcusable. Again, nothing against you, but the truth nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Hrm Pioneer rates the VSX-53 as 110wpc into 8 ohms x 7 according to its user manual...not 80 like its owner claims...interesting, but how would it perform while powering 7 seperate speaker is a whole 'nother question.
    Seriously! Please figure this out. The 110WPC is two channels driven. The 80 watts is the actual WPC when driving 7 channels. Read up!
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    John was willing to take time out of his night and try to put the pieces together for you. You not willing to accept that offer is inexcusable, therefore your ignorance is inexcusable. Again, nothing against you, but the truth nonetheless.
    If John had been washing my hair and telling me stories from the past, the response would have been different. But that wasn't the case. Right?
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Is this really happening?!?!?!?!?
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Let me break this down one last time...

The power supply in your Pioneer is SMALLER than the power supply of a stand-alone amplifier, even though it supports the wattage output of 80 watts you have been talking about. Further, the receiver does not have the ability to STORE that energy in either a large number of or into a large storage output capacitor.

A power amp may be fed by the power supply, but the actual power is within the output caps. the power supply feeds the caps, which in turn, feeds the speakers. The larger the supply of power, the faster the caps can respond to demand. Can small caps, and small power supply equals the same watt numbers... yes, you would be correct to assume that, BUT(and it is a HUGE BUT!) the small power supply runs out of gas quickly and cannot fill the tank(caps) fast enough to meet the demands of the speakers. It is here that your 80 watts of receiver power smack into the wall and kill your speakers through something called "clipping". A more robust 80 wpc amp however will have the storage capacity to meet the demand and deliver what your speakers are asking for.

The other thing is transient response. This is when the speakers ask for power, how fast does the amplifier provide it, and recover for the next demand? An amp with the larger power supply and capacitance, will be faster every time, and audibly so. Even if all we are talking about is just a few milliseconds, and yes.. even at low volumes.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 10-15-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

If John had been washing my hair and telling me stories from the past, the response would have been different. But that wasn't the case. Right?
    come on man... do you really think I would offer to help you understand if my real goal was to insult you over the phone?

I am trying to help you here, as have others and all you seem to want to do is insult anyone that tries.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

The power supply in your Pioneer is SMALLER than the power supply of a stand-alone amplifier, even though it supports the wattage output of 80 watts you have been talking about. Further, the receiver does not have the ability to STORE that energy in either a large number of or into a large storage output capacitor.

A power amp may be fed by the power supply, but the actual power is within the output caps. the power supply feeds the caps, which in turn, feeds the speakers. The larger the supply of power, the faster the caps can respond to demand. Can small caps, and small power supply equals the same watt numbers... yes, you would be correct to assume that, BUT(and it is a HUGE BUT!) the small power supply runs out of gas quickly and cannot fill the tank(caps) fast enough to meet the demands of the speakers. It is here that your 80 watts of receiver power smack into the wall and kill your speakers through something called "clipping". A more robust 80 wpc amp however will have the storage capacity to meet the demand and deliver what your speakers are asking for.

The other thing is transient response. This is when the speakers ask for power, how fast does the amplifier provide it, and recover for the next demand? An amp with the larger power supply and capacitance, will be faster every time, and audibly so. Even if all we are talking about is just a few milliseconds, and yes.. even at low volumes.
    This is so well written and exactly what a lot of the number crunchers don't understand. Posts like this are why I still visit this forum daily.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

Now this would have been nice to have read from the very beginning. Instead, a lot of name calling ensued and a lot of unnecessary insults as well.

I've been here before, just asking for some information that I could digest. I never got rude or attacking but I sure got attacked from my questioning. I didn't get called a troll but several other insults came my way......over a stupid speaker cable.

Anyway, there's tact, and there's tactless. I saw very little tact compared to the tactless in this thread. But, I can see where it may be difficult to give an answer, then if it's not received the way it's hoped to, then demeaning behavior soon follows, what a shame.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    God knows what source..
    LOL! It all starts there.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Sure does a lot of things.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Jestered, it's clear that you don't understand much about audio gear. Until you get your head out of the specs pages and get some real world experience I'm not sure you will ever get beyond the stage you are at now. I took the time to read some of your posts and the responses at another forum you are on. Being told that all SS amps sound the same, that your AVR is a s good as it gets and that using test instruments is better than the ear are not doing you any favors.

BTW, since you are stuck of specs allow me to correct one. You're A5's have a -3dB of 40Hz and drop like a lead weight, they are not solid to 30Hz.

I wish you luck.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

BTW, since you are stuck of specs allow me to correct one. You're A5's have a -3dB of 40Hz and drop like a lead weight, they are not solid to 30Hz.

I wish you luck.
    You're correcting what here? I've never mentioned that my speakers are exceptional. I've never said my crappy speakers, and the specs of those speakers are great, so what's your point? What exactly are you correcting?

Also, if you want to stalk me on other forums, go ahead and post the link. I'm not hiding from anything. I have the same screen name "Jestered", on AVS as I do here. What's your point?
    Last edited by Jestered; 10-16-2013 at 02:57 AM.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

You were told by another that your speakers were solid to 30Hz and since you seem to swallow all that is told to you on that other forum, I thought it best to set the record straight.

I've never mentioned my crappy speakers
    What an odd thing to say considering that you posted this, " So, I keep reading that this setup will come alive (I think it kicks @ss as it is)" just the other day.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

What's your point?
    Well, I've made few points, but you don't seem capable of comprehending any of them. So, for this moment in time let's say that's my point.

Another one that doesn't read anything before speaking.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Well, I've made few points, but you don't seem capable of comprehending any of them. So, for this moment in time let's say that's my point.
    Which is no point at all? Did I ever bring up anything that was talked about in another forum? Nope. So why are you bringing it up? I never mentioned it in defense of any FACTS that I've spoken, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. What exactly is your point in bringing it up at all?
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

My reading comprehension is beyond reproach, thank you very much.

Now, have you even tried to understand that the power supply is key to the reason a power amp is superior to an AVR or are you going to keep ignoring the answer to your question?

What exactly is your point in bringing it up at all?
    Which point would that be, I've made a number of them.

My reading comprehension is beyond reproach, thank you very much.

Now, have you even tried to understand that the power supply is key to the reason a power amp is superior to an AVR or are you going to keep ignoring the answer to your question?
    Why don't you explain it to me? That's what I've been asking for all this time.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Let's talk about why you said your speakers are crappy when you just said the other day that your setup kicks a$$ as is. Do you suffer some sort of mental issue or do you just have a problem remembering what you said?

Why don't you explain it to me? That's what I've been asking for all this time.
    A number of folks have explained it in some detail already.

Let's talk about why you said your speakers are crappy when you just said the other day that your setup kicks a$$ as is. Do you suffer some sort of mental issue or do you just have a problem remembering what you said?
    Are you serious?!?!?! Why are you trying to avoid the question? Why are you trying to talk about what I think of my speakers? It's obvious that when I talked about my speakers that I was referring to you trying to talk them down. I wouldn't have them if I thought they were crap. Either way, I could care less what you think of my equipment. I made the mistake thinking that you might be able to enlighten me here, but I was very wrong.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Thread Information