Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: whats next?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Jestered View Post
    Thanks falconcry72. I appreciate it!
    No problem. The thing about amps (and preamps, DACs, etc.) is that they could bench/spec the exact same, yet sound different. So unless you want to audition every amp out there in your own system, it is very helpful to piggyback on the experience of people who have actually spent time listening critically to multiple designs and done A/B comparisons in their own systems.

Keep in mind, this is a forum for audiophiles, not electrical engineers. What we may lack in the ability to describe the "how" (why does an amp sound a certain way), we make up for in spades with the ability to describe the "what" (what does an amp actually sound like, compared to other designs).

I can't tell you exactly why my amps sound different from each other, but I can give you real-world experience from comparing and critically listening to literally dozens of different designs over just the last couple years alone.

There is no theoretical substitute for actual experience via trial and error.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefox
    Do you mean 'get' in the sense that Ohm's Law, which uses basic algebra, applies to DC circuits. On the other hand, AC circuits require calculus to solve. Since amps are AC circuits, the simple DC circuit Ohm's Law doesn't apply.
    He got that from the same severely misinformed person that thinks all SS amps sound the same.

Amazon? Certainly not the first, second, third, fourth or fifth place one would think to look for a quality amp. Audiogon is usually the default choice.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Wattage specs would be great if all manufacturers used the same standard to measure them, or at least state what standard was used to get them. THD is another spec that could be expounded upon. You get a fixed amount but don't see when and where the distortion occurred. A distortion analyzer will show what types of distortion, the amounts of and where it occured throughout the audio frequency range. A real visual eye opener you can relate to what you heard. Maybe too much info for some folks.

Another visual way is to put a scope on your speaker terminals. When music is playing, it looks like a crack addict playing with an etch a sketch. You can adjust settings to get a smooth sine wave and increase power to see if you lop their heads off (clipping). The other way, as stated, is connect a better amp and play at same low and max dB you would listen to. You start hearing more details or everthing the artist intended on the recording, you are golden. You don't know what you are missing until you hear the same material on something better. To me that is what an audiophile goes for. Others are content without that. And I don't want to hear how detail is always strident and painful cause it is not always the case.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Jestered is using a classic example of Hegelian dialectic. You present a problem to which you already know the solution, but cause those around you (the Polk Forum in this case) to endlessly present the solution (the truth) yet he acts as if he doesn't realise what that solution is and thus causing the Polk Forum members to endlessly keep presenting the solution to which Jestered already knows the answer (whether factual or not). The person (or people) (Jestered in this case) then continues his steering towards anarchy by "never realising" the answer to the presented problem and the cycle continues. (That is, the solution the problem presenter (Jestered) is seeking, that is anarchy and chaos).

Please go "play" somewhere else Jestered.
    Last edited by headrott; 10-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Jestered is using a classic example of Hegelian dialectic. You present a problem to which you already know the solution, but cause those around you (the Polk Forum in this case) to endlessly present the solution (the truth) yet he acts as if he doesn't realise what that solution is and thus causing the Polk Forum members to endlessly keep presenting the solution to which Jestered already knows the answer (whether factual or not). The person (or people) (Jestered in this case) then continues his steering towards anarchy by "never realising" the answer to the presented problem and the cycle continues. (That is, the solution the problem presenter (Jestered) is seeking, that is anarchy and chaos).

Please go "play" somewhere else Jestered.
    Either you're trying to sound smart, or you don't really "get" Hegel's philosophy. Hegel's "philosophy" goes much deeper than the simple explanation you've described. You can twist my question how ever you'd like, but the simple fact is that I asked a question. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    Polk RTiA5's - Front Towers
    Polk CSiA6 - Center Channel
    Polk RT15i's - Side Surrounds
    Polk FXiA4's - Rear Surrounds
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

BOZO listed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    He got that from the same severely misinformed person that thinks all SS amps sound the same.

Amazon? Certainly not the first, second, third, fourth or fifth place one would think to look for a quality amp. Audiogon is usually the default choice.
    1nut- Why do you keep chiming in?
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

This message is hidden because Jestered is on your BOZO list.
    Ah, much better!

BOZO listed.
    At least you came up with a new name. But, again, why do you keep responding?
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Ah, much better!
    Thank you!
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

Either you're trying to sound smart, or you don't really "get" Hegel's philosophy. Hegel's "philosophy" goes much deeper than the simple explanation you've described. You can twist my question how ever you'd like, but the simple fact is that I asked a question. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Excellent! "We" simply answered the question multiple times. Nothing more and nothing less. Please move along before you wind up on others' BOZO lists.

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Anyone else think mindless and jestered are the same person? I mean, the odds of 2 people being like that are astronomical.

It's funny Jesse, I originally almost posted a question asking Jestered what other screen name(s) he has used......... I decided on my response above however.

Just proves that great minds think alike :)

Anyone else think mindless and jestered are the same person? I mean, the odds of 2 people being like that are astronomical.
    I think they are different. Jester doesn't stick question marks in the middle of his sentences.

Um the similarities are well, uncanny but we could be wrong...
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Excellent! "We" simply answered the question multiple times. Nothing more and nothing less. Please move along before you wind up on others' BOZO lists.
    If it means you will stop responding, then PLEASE put me on your list! I'm begging you...
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

If it means you will stop responding, then PLEASE put me on your list! I'm begging you...
    Why do you insist on taunting others?

Why do you insist on taunting others?
    Ha! Now that's funny! Who exacatly am I taunting? I've been attacked over and over again in this thread, but yet I'm taunting? You sir are delusional.
    Samsung 65" ES8000 LED
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53
    SVS PB-1000 - Subwoofer
    URC MX5000 - Remote

All I know I have plenty of gear to swap around. That being said I have a 100 watt AVR that distorts a pair of speakers before one of my higher end 60 watt amps measured at the same SPL...proof is in the pudding
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    pudding
    It's been years since I've had that. Sounds damn good now thanks to you.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Maybe the best thing to eat sick boy....jello and, ice cream too
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Maybe the best thing to eat sick boy....jello and, ice cream too
    What's up my two TEXAS compadres? All I can say is......Yeah I'm gonna miss her...ahh looky there...I've got a bite.......
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

....reel her in

Nada mucho, 2 TX gatherings coming up get your butt down here...Last weekend in Jan.....-1st weekend in May

Cheers

Man, if only I could!!! Had a transfer come through here last month to get my self back to S.A. I had to decline it, man that was a tough thing to do......I want to get back home so bad. But you know, one of these days, I'll be throwing Whataburgers down the hatch once again.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Ha! Now that's funny! Who exacatly am I taunting? I've been attacked over and over again in this thread, but yet I'm taunting? You sir are delusional.
    I will let others decide for themselves on both counts.

In giving my opinion however, you are using projection on both counts.

Where are we going with this anyway?

Greg, everyone here knows the vile.....small, small dude is nothing but a troll and not a very good one at that.

Come on now Jesse, you're swayin' the masses. Ok, you are right it is that obvious.

Thread Information