Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Heck there is more info about many of "us" here, including me, than Bob online?
    Bob + new tech = fail. Anyone whose met him knows he prefers old school. I wonder how much he actually emails himself .

I think he would be OK if mail still came via horse and postal carrier and TV was a big ol tube no bigger than 24"....

That said nothing but respect for him!
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

OK, I'm starting to understand that. But, frankly, the guy is a "TECH", so just how does that work? A guy who can design amps abhors technology? Sounds oxymoronic (if that is a word).

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (3)

It's also incredible what a paucity of "biographical" information there is on Bob on the web? Why such a lack of info? Seems BIZARRE considering the mark he has left on the field at large. I can only conclude that he is "actively" trying to erase his personal history much like another, now infamous, counter culture anti-hero of the 70s? I am just kidding of course. But I still find it odd, these days, when you can find anything. Heck there is more info about many of "us" here, including me, than Bob online?
    This is typical of people who made their mark before the Internet came about, especially if they made their mark in a field that is not widely known about. When the public Internet became available in the mid 1990s, the Carver Corporation had seen its heyday.

Even the WIKI entry is paltry, doesn't even say where he went to school or what university he studied engineering and physics at?
    The Sunfire website mentions that Bob was a graduate student in 1972, and Bob has mentioned in interviews that he studied physics in college, but I don't recall that he has ever said where.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (0)

It's stuck in my head (and might even be right) that he said once some California college.

CJ
    As seen on the AVS forum... "Radio Shack zip cord kicks butt."

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Bob has a degree in physics from a university in Washington state I believe. He has started several companies outside of audio, one of which makes medical devices.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (16)

My guess is that Bob's style of business was at odd's with Dan Laufman.

Dan: Bob, this acquisition is going to be great - I can feel the synergy. Your name will bring cache to Emotiva and we won't be 'dissed with the audio snobs....oh...by the way....we have your cube set up next to Ralph's in accounting...just temporary....oh...and please have your schedule status into Mindy by Wednesday for the leads meetings...I need the updates to your tube design for Emotiva by Friday for the executive program review....and...I'll need you to come in Saturday to catch up on those tps reports...

And Bob says: "F that...."

And Dan says: "We own your name...good luck Bob..."

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Thread Information