Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Where is the nearest airport to your location, DSkip?

Tom
    DFW. It's about a 30 minute drive. However, to get a hotel, the closest you can get is about 10-15 minutes out, so its kind of a wash. I'm not sure how much farther Love Field is from here.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

^^^^What hotel or PM me your addy
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Glad to see those speakers are still getting some use. I originally bought those from Russ and moved them on to Keith when we moved into a smaller place with less rooms. Seeing those brings back memories, and there's a certain sound that the paper woofer creates that is lost on alot of higher end speakers...
    They still get some use, but maybe not as much as they used too. I have them in the guest bedroom. I try to make my guest room pretty comfortable and a space they can retreat to and still enjoy. The guys appreciate the 2 ch setup in the room, some of the wives kinda don't understand it. Of course most of the wives also don't understand having a dedicated 2ch listening room, since there is a 7.1 system in the main room. They just kind of shake their heads if it is the first visit here.

I'll bring one of the B&K amps too. would like to hear that in comparison to tube amps, since all my amps are solid state.
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa

My Mid-Fi Systems - In The Showcase

Scott, I think you're going to be quite surprised by the transformation my room has gone through since the last time you were here. Everything has changed in those two years. Everything.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Those Pi speakers really sing on tube gear. I initially ran them off a small tripath amp and when I moved them to tubes they really sounded their best. Those aren't reference speakers or anything, and when faced with choices I chose the LSi7 over them as they were a more versatile speaker, but what those speakers do they do really well - they're not 'great' they just have a special sound to them with the right gear and the right tunes.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Where is the nearest airport to your location, DSkip?
    Tom,

DFW would be your best bet if your flying (unless your doing Southwest then its Love Field (DAL)). Also, if you fly in the rental cars will be dirt cheap for a weekend (look for the mangers special at Hertz). If your staying in a hotel, use something like trip advisor to take a look at the prices. Usually, hotels near the airports have pretty decent discounts on the weekends. They are usually pretty busy with business travelers during the week, but will drop their prices dramatically on the weekends to get some business.

That being said, if you fly in, the DFW airport area isn't that far out of the way for me to Skips house (I'm in the very western part of the Metroplex). If you stay at a place with an airport shuttle, I'll be happy to pick you up on the way in. No need for a rental that way. Just let me know if I can help.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa

My Mid-Fi Systems - In The Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (10)

shootouts are time consuming but i'm in. cables, dacs, preamps,or amps?
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (4)

EZ as pie. The best thing that happened here. Why? When my wife came home from a trip to her sisters,
    Se saw them and said "they have to go, what is it going to take to get you to stop buying more speakers?"
    Answer: a set of Proacs. If I had only known that years before! At the moment, it's just Proacs, and some Polks in the HT.
    I may have to make the drive up for this one.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I should be able to make it to this one.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, Dared SL-2000A , B&K ST-202 , DacMagic
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azur 640A v2, Polk MicroPro 3000, Audioquest Dragonfly
    Cables: AQ Diamondback, Sidewinder, Kimber 4tc

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    In the spirit of keeping the great group we've formed in the area, I'm going to plan to host another get together on January 25. My home is welcome to anyone who wants to come. I have too much fun at these to wait until LSAF. Hopefully with the extended notice word will spread and we can see some new faces too.

I am about 15 minutes East from the I-35 marge in Denton, 15 minutes West of I-75 in McKinney.
    Okay, I found this! Where exactly are you?

I am 121/183/Grapevine Hwy-Triangle. NE corner of Bedford.

We could have a pool party at my place sometime. Just not in January 8^)
    Last edited by Polk&Beans; 10-26-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halenhoang View Post
    Thank you sir! We will talk after soon!
    Don't know ya but, Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Polk&Beans View Post
    Okay, I found this! Where exactly are you?

I am 121/183/Grapevine Hwy-Triangle. NE corner of Bedford.

We could have a pool party at my place sometime. Just not in January 8^)
    The last thing you want to see is this group of guys in swim wear.

I'll send out my actual address a few weeks prior. We are about 30-40 minutes apart.

The last thing you want to see is this group of guys in swim wear.
    That is true...but I do have a mean cannon ball
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    That is true...but I do have a mean cannon ball
    Funny. "Pool Party" is man-code for an excuse to GTG, drink cool refreshments and have a redneck BBQ

(Throw whatever the hell ya got on the grill)

The last thing my old-fart arse wants to see is more old-farts in speedo's!
    Last edited by Polk&Beans; 10-29-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The last thing my old-fart arse wants to see is more old-farts in speedo's!
    Ha !!
    Still fit in mine from my younger days. Last time the wife and I went south, I actually packed them. That is until she saw them and loudly proclaimed...." Oh hell no ! "

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Ha !!
    Still fit in mine from my younger days. Last time the wife and I went south, I actually packed them. That is until she saw them and loudly proclaimed...." Oh hell no ! "
    Remind me to never invite you down here without the misses.

Remind me ALWAYS invite you down here without the misses.
    Fixed it for you Skip...
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

DFW. It's about a 30 minute drive. However, to get a hotel, the closest you can get is about 10-15 minutes out, so its kind of a wash. I'm not sure how much farther Love Field is from here.
    Fly Southwest into Love Field; you'll enjoy it more, as will my profit sharing account.

DSkip, I found the thread. Thanks! I may be able to make this. It does fall on my daughter's bday, but she'll be 24 and I expect her hubby to do the heavy lifting on that holiday these days...LOL
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s)

ron, did you get the planus 3 speaker cables? if so bring them so i can see if i want to dig up the cash for them. if you didn't get them have you compared the sound of the two? if you come up on friday i may take a vacation day and have a mini get together.
    where will you be staying?
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Hey Marv,
    I did grab a pair of the 3's. I have yet to do a comparison, but can bring them up. I'll be grabbing a room in Denton

You can count on me as a definite attendee. I've been needing a good whiskey listening day. Plus, I finally have a piece to contribute: my Yaoin MS-20L. And as always, the SC-37. Still dying to get it in a 9.1 setup if anyone has a LOT of matching compact speakers.

Think we could get Douglas to bring up some more of that BBQ? That was freakin epic last time.

I've also got a good friend from another forum joining us. Bringing the BIG guns too. At a minimum, you boys will be treated to an LMS 5400, if not also a pair of RCF 21" subwoofers. Get ready for the deep stuff. If anyone has a pro amp capable of 2kW or more, please bring it. He's running his 5400 with ~1kW behind it, and it deserves something with more oomph behind it. He runs it sealed, but I intend on building a secondary enclosure, probably ported, for us to enjoy as well. I don't think I have the time to swing the tapped horn too, but we'll see. Work should be slowing down finally.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, DIY Statements, Samsung 52" LCD

Don't know ya but, Congratulations!
    Thanks man! Now that it's behind me, time to get dirty with audio!

Halen
    Music/Movies
    Usher CP 777 DMD
    Usher 616 DMD
    SMX ProCurve 2:35 130"
    Seymour CenterStage xD AT screen
    JVC RS4910 / DLA X500 (come to daddy)

Pre: missing

LSIM 705s (buy me)

Well Halen's on his honeymoon down in Turks and Caicos Islands, wanted to me to tell the fellow Polksters hello

He's enjoying bottomless rum and beers here's a couple of pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	91934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9075.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	91935

Cheers from Halen for the beer lovers

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7888.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	91936
    Last edited by txcoastal1; 11-19-2013 at 06:22 PM.

This is less than 2 months out now. If you've never had the chance to meet any of our North Texas brethren and have been thinking about it, get off the fence and make it out for this. I'm going to do my best to have 4 different listening areas in the house, but there will definitely be three spaces minimum. A good time is guaranteed here.

The questionable space might end up being a great place to have a headphone rig or two if any of you guys want to bring that gear. As the room is currently set up, I have space for two such rigs on different sides of the room.

I might be able to get the distributor of tiglon cables( of japan) to give a short presentation and hook up his cables for a listen.

http://www.sibatech.co.jp/tiglon/index.html
    Main system

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I'd be very interested to hear their cables, and to pit them against some of ours. What's the price range of their cables?
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com

i think expensive, he's going to send me some. he had said he didn't to put other cables down so i told him just give us the science behind the cables, put them on and let us listen and drink some brews.
    Main system

Smile

...does some beer sound different than others ;)

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    ...does some beer sound different than others ;)
    Depends on how many you've had, and into what type of vessel your pouring it into.... Skip told me that he tends to find after about 7 that the sound tends to "mellow" out....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information