Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Thumbs up Component Warm-up

I realized that I have never given component warm-up its proper due. I was planning on doing quite a bit of listening this weekend, so I turned my Dodd components on yesterday evening, and left them over night. This morning I went down stairs and turned on some music, and WOW! The sound was more rich and textured, and a better feeling of fullness, weight, and sound stage. I always turned on my electronics before I listened to them for a few minutes, but leaving them on for 12 hours is a whole new world, and really makes the most out of the recent mods to my speakers!

This is just a good reminder, as it was a topic that had slipped my mind, and a great way to get a little extra performance out of your system.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I've noticed that, too. So my amp doesn't get turned off all weekend and my pre stays in standby mode until about an hour prior to the music starting . . .
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

You are talking about tube amps I gather as 30 min warmup for solid state should be plenty

Audiophile

Tube preamp and SS amp, and 12 hours of warm-up does sound better than 30 minutes on my equipment.

My parasound wanted 30 min as well the krell likes a little more but it worth it.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

My experience as well be it tube or SS.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

I accidentally discovered the same thing in both my two-channel and HT systems. It takes my two-channel about 2 hours to warm-up, and sounds it best after 24 hours. However, I can't afford the electricity to keep it turned on all the time. My "luxury" treat is I turn it on Friday morning before leaving for work, and it stays on until bedtime Sunday night. This lets me have maximum audio quality all weekend. The same thing applies to my HT. I was impressed the first time I watched it Saturday night after it was accidentally left on Friday night.

Me, too . . .
    Toobed Cary pre and switching between Adcom 5802 and Pass Aleph 30 . . . completely warmed-up is the way to go!
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

I also found on my Dodd preamp that completely warmed up is the way to go

I typically wait 10-20 minutes for the SS gear. Yes, there is a difference from when I would first turn it on to the 10+ minute warm-up. I definitely want to test longer start-up times now. Thanks for the thread.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennDog View Post
    Me, too . . .
    Toobed Cary pre and switching between Adcom 5802 and Pass Aleph 30 . . . completely warmed-up is the way to go!
    Agreed on the Pass Aleph 30. It takes AT LEAST 45 minutes to even start sounding good, but the longer you leave it on the better it sounds.

The same is true for my BAT VK-200. It takes at least 45 minutes to start sounding good, but if you leave it on for 5-6 hours starts sounding really good. The longer you leave it on, the better it sounds.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

I turn on my Odyssey Candela tube pre several hours before serious listening; my heavily modded Stratos Stereo stays on 24/7. If I turn off the Stratos due to a trip out of town, it takes around a day for it to perform at the same level as leaving it on.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Audiophile

Here is what Hafler says on the issue in their current manuals:

WARM UP
    In order to achieve the best sonic performance from the amplifier, we recommend letting it warm up for 1 hour before beginning any critical listening. The amplifier will not deliver its full potential sound quality before this time has passe
    d.

Aint nobody got time for that!

I don't do it much because my wife would freak and I've got a 3 yr old running around.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Btw, since I've had issues with this part of it, what are the differences you guys hear? Is it just more dynamic, more holographic...?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (26)

The finer details become more apparent, the bass and mid-bass tightens, imaging gets sharper and more precise in its spatial locational cues and the entire sound stage becomes more focused. It's just an overall better sound. Clearer, more defined, fluid, cohesive.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

In my experience, (especially with the Aragon 8008bb) the high end is pretty damn harsh until the amp(s) warm up. As Tom said, detail improves as well as imaging and soundstage. It makes a big difference with some amps and some not as much. I will say that all amps get "better" when warmed up however.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

This has me extremely curious. What exactly (to your knowledge) is "warming up" when you leave the amp/pre-amp on and idle? Would the crossovers in speakers then experience the same warmup period thus making them sound better after a period of playing (separate, of course, from the initial break in period)?
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by drummer86 View Post
    This has me extremely curious. What exactly (to your knowledge) is "warming up" when you leave the amp/pre-amp on and idle? Would the crossovers in speakers then experience the same warmup period thus making them sound better after a period of playing (separate, of course, from the initial break in period)?
    An ignorant guess would be letting all the caps fully charge?

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    An ignorant guess would be letting all the caps fully charge?
    I would concur as the warm up time would be dictated on how long the unit has been sitting.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

That is a good question about cross-overs in speakers warming up. My pre-amp does not have an on/off switch, and my amps consume as much power at idle, as they do playing (except at high levels). I doubt if that affects the speakers since, obviously, there is no sound produced at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I doubt if that affects the speakers since, obviously, there is no sound produced at idle.
    Well, duh! I meant a playing warmup time. If charging the caps is the theory we're going with, does this also affect the caps within the speakers once you've started feeding sound to them? My knowledge in the area is really limited so I may be asking a completely silly question here but it peaked my interest for sure.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Like I said, that is a good question about speaker cross-over warm-up time. If it does occur it probably only takes a few minutes since there are only a few passive devices to warm up.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

It's not just about caps. Amplifying devices, whether they be tubes or transistors, have transconductance curves. That is an input voltage results in an output. Power supplies are not always stable upon power up. Gotta get the stuff up to temp where it outputs as designed. Ever bias a tube amp, note how it changes from first power up to when it gets warm and stable. Happens with transistors too. Anyway, warm up and stable is good, how much depends.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Audiophile

From Nelson Pass-
    It's a fact; devices such as Mosfets reach higher transconductance figures at higher
    temperatures, so it's not just a matter of getting the bias to
    stabilize. Also, the higher the bias for Mosfets, the more temperature stable.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

It depends on A or AB. AB doesn't cook the trannys like A does. Do they bias from transistors or from heat sinks. Newer transistors have internal temp sensors.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

You are referring to Xc and phase?

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    The finer details become more apparent, the bass and mid-bass tightens, imaging gets sharper and more precise in its spatial locational cues and the entire sound stage becomes more focused. It's just an overall better sound. Clearer, more defined, fluid, cohesive.Tom
    ^ ^ ^ ^ This.

Everything just opens up. In my case it's not that the system is unlistenable when the amp has been off and is just powered up, but it sounds so much better with the amp always on. This is recommended by Odyssey (the on off switch is on the back panel).

I turn off the linestage only because I don't want to drastically shorten tube life.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Thread Information