Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Ripping CD's to FLAC - looking for a better solution

Ok guys,
    I know there has been discussion on this, I've browsed through some of the posts but those seem a little dated.
    I'm curious to know what is a good program to rip CD's and save them as FLAC. Personal experience preffered, not just heresay.
    I'm currently using foobar2000 but as an everyday average Joe user foobar2000 is not very user friendly.
    I don't have a degree in code generation and or any of it's related jargon.
    I have managed to convert about 400 songs now but it is painstaking and not producing very good results as far as library storage.
    I'm using my Samsung BD-F7500 BluRay player as the FLAC player and it does not grab all of the song info. It only shows song title.
    Now I'm aware that might be an issue with the player itself, but also on the computer, Windows will not recognize all of the song info either.
    Is there a decent program that I can purchase that will produce excellent results for tagging and library file functions.
    I know there are free programs all over the place but all of those seem so convoluted to me.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have used JRiver for years and could not be happier with the flexibility.They update/upgrade about every 6-9 months as well always adding new and current items to improve.I can burn how i want,convert what i want,and play anything i've thrown at it.
    YMMV

I use Banshee. I can't comment on its app for Windows but it works great in Linux.

http://banshee.fm/download/
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Media Monkey is 25 bucks I think, I have been using it for a few years and it works great, but you do have to make sure your settings are correct before you start. If grabs all that info.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Dbpoweramp and it's accurate rip system ftw!
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I used dbpoweramp to convert all my CD's. It has a free 30 day trial and then its 50 bucks, but most will tell you its well worth it.

You also can use MediaMonkey which will allow you to burn CD's to FLAC and also managers your library for you.

If your just looking for a set and forget CD ripper, dbpoweramp all the way. Use something else to manage your library and your fine.

I bought MediaMonkey because its that good of a product and I plan on buying dbpoweramp once I run out of PC's to install it on for a 30 day trial.

dbpoweramp can seem hard to setup, but there is a step by step guide to set it up. Once configured its fairly easy to do....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    this i use DBpoweramp as well and its great for that.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Member Sales Rating: (31)

J. River for error free ripping, tagging, organization and playback.

http://i.imgur.com/4KJJNuW.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I'm still using Exact Audio Copy. Been using it for 8 years I think.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.
    I've already tried EAC, I didn't have much luck with that. Set-up was major difficult for me. Plus it kept defaulting back to mp3 format.

Right now I'm giving JRiver 19 a spin. So far I REALLY like what I see and hear. Clearly better sound quality than running through my BluRay player.
    After a week or so I'll give DBpoweramp a try. I at least should give it a fair shake.
    But after using JRiver lastnight, I got to admit, it is doing everything I wanted and I'm trouble free right out of the gate!

If Jriver is your huckleberry, don't worry about DBpoweramp. Stick with what works for you.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I've tried a bunch, including Media Monkey. The first one I felt really comfortable with for both ripping and organizing has been JRiver. I've been using it for a couple years now and can't imagine switching to anything else as they keep updating it.

dBpoweramp is the Gold Standard for me.

Second runner up would be the free EAC (Exact Audio Copy), but along with it comes a longer learning curve.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    +1, the only thing is I rip cd's to WAV files but I use JRiver for playing. Have not tried JRiver to rip so cannot comment on it.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    J. River for error free ripping, tagging, organization and playback.

http://i.imgur.com/4KJJNuW.jpg
    Hey Mike, I got JRiver now. I got a new touch screen laptop with Winders 8.1. I installed foobar and could play my standard and hi-rez flac on my diy DAC, but couldn't get DSD to play like on my old laptop. It was a snap to setup DSD playback with JRiver. Now I just need to figure out all the bells and whistles. I hate learning new software...
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (31)

IMO, it shouldn't take long to be a pro at navigating through all the features, it's pretty intuitive.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Another vote for dbPoweramp here. First software I've used that is easy to use, flexible and does a great job!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

+400 on jriver. Now I just need the dsd option added to my w4s lol .

EAC has worked very good for me. The "Error Correction" technology is nice when they are some scratchey CD's, and it always gets the Metadata for every CD. Also, it's free!!! It's a little difficult to "psych out" to use at first, but not bad. If you try it, give me a shout. Be glad to help you with some short cuts getting it going.
    Bedroom: HK AVR 254, JBL Sub 10, 5 x Mirage Omnisats, Panasonic BD-60

Living Room: HK AVR 254, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony PS3 60gb, Wii, Xbox 360, Philips 52" LCD

Den: HK AVR 354, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, PS3 80gb, APC H15

Sherwood R-972, Harmony One

and yet another vote for dbPoweramp here.
    Polkaudio Fronts: RTi A7's Vr3 Fortress Edition
    Polkaudio Center: CSi A6 Vr3 Fortress Edition
    Polkaudio Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Sub: SVS PC12-NSD
    Marantz SR-7008
    Marantz TT-15S1
    BDP-Denon DBT-1713UD
    Denon AH-D5000's
    Synology DS 212j-4TB
    TV: Panasonic TC P55VT30

Well it's been a few weeks now.
    I thank you all for your suggestions.
    I am completely sold on JRiver.
    I really think I have reached the pinnacle of my current system set-up.
    The only way to get better is to upgrade my SDA's or drop some coin on some better amps.
    I have been experimenting with all sorts of settings and a few sources to pipe the data stream into my DAC.
    I am currently running a 'Music Server' in one the back rooms of my house that has JRiver controling the library.
    When I'm lazy and just want to listen to quick song I use my Samsung BD-F7500 BluRay player with DNLA to acces the songs on the server.
    And then when I'm in the mood for a good power listening session, I use my laptop which also has JRiver on it to acccess the Music Server over the network.
    The quality difference using the laptop vs the BluRay player is night and day - the laptop being the better quality.
    JRiver is a hassle free top of the line product. The $60 was very well worth it!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I don't like change because I'm a creature of habit, so I stick with EAC. It works for me. For organization/tagging, I use the free MediaMonkey.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Banned

+1 for EAC

+1 for EAC as well. It doesn't matter I guess, whatever works for the individual.

+1 dbpoweramp, but I see plenty of folks using EAC too. Either should work. I rely on an older version of Tag and Rename for tagging anyway (3.57 still grabs metadata/art from amazon).
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

I am a foobar user, but I have a question for you J River guys. My metadata file is at the bottom each song list. The only problem I have with foobar is that when I choose "random" play, it inevitably tries to play this file and that stops the music. Foobar is not reading this file as a music file, of course, and this stops the sound. I wished foobar knew to skip over this file on "random" play. Just curious how J River works when "random" play is selected?
    Bedroom: HK AVR 254, JBL Sub 10, 5 x Mirage Omnisats, Panasonic BD-60

Living Room: HK AVR 254, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony PS3 60gb, Wii, Xbox 360, Philips 52" LCD

Den: HK AVR 354, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, PS3 80gb, APC H15

Sherwood R-972, Harmony One

have not tried this yet.. anyone used it yet?
    http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/blo...rating-system/
    the also have a link to EAC
    http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/blo...ct-audio-copy/

How would it work streaming to my stereo with an Apple TV?

Thread Information