Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I didn't say they were ill-fitting recommendations, just that they're stale. I agree with everything you said. Budget is a massive constraint on recommendations, but the Anthem is in the same price bracket as most recommendations, so it was nice to see it get a little recognition. Hell, you can look at my posts and see the recommendations don't change - its the same old same old because the same questions get asked. I also don't disagree with what gets recommended 99% of the time. At the same time, I love when the "hifi" guys go on a quest and ask for help. I learn quite a bit during those simply through people throwing out brands that I had never heard of. Due to the rarity though, I've gone elsewhere to get that experience.

I was merely commenting on the refreshing aspect of this thread. There is nothing to read between the lines this time.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Eh, wasn't trying to read between the lines pal, just making conversation is all. Anthem is a fantastic brand, but seems when recommended around here, people go for the more bells and whistles types rather than SQ, so we usually don't throw out that name in receiver threads much.

Thing is also, in audio the choices are nothing short that a gazillion in any category or budget. Lots of dogs, but also a lot of solid performers, we tend to gravitate to the solid ones for our recommendations. Just an example, OPPO when first arriving on the scene wasn't viewed as a solid recommendation due to lack of experience with the unit. Now with some trial time under their belt, they have a proven track record and we highly recommend them.

whitecamaross, I was more poking fun at your use of the word "unbiased" in the review title more than anything.

Home audio is one of the most subjective hobbies out there. Fact is, there are people who love horns...there are people who can't stand them. There are those who want nothing but tubes and then those who swear that SS is the only way to go. Digital music versus analog...

Point is, audio is very subjective and reviews, such as yours, are most assuredly biased in that you are touting what sounds good to you.
    Nothing at all wrong with that...just that it is the very definition of biased. Hehe.

Listen on my friend...listen on.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lietuvis91 View Post
    Maybe sometimes we blame one component when a different component is actually causing most of the difference. When you compare an integrated with a combo that includes an amp it's really hard to make FAIR comparison. Cables are a big reason for this. I just recently swapped a marantz receiver for an outlaw pre 975 and knew i was going to swap IC cables due to needing more length. So before I swaped the pre's I did an a to b comparison of the cables on the maratz, and i couldn't believe how different the two cables sounded. There was a CLEAR night and day difference in the tone and detail. I found I really didn't like the audioquest cable (too sharp and edgy) and much prefered the exp1 cable for smoother sound.

So... if your cables connecting the NAD to the anthem are not a good fit, then that's a big reason for your disapointment. The anthem integrated has an upper hand just by being integrated, having a solid amp section and not having the potential impact of the IC cable.
    can you send me a link where i can get those cables? i would like to try them..

Banned

i totally get what everyone is saying about it being a subjective topic. Right now, i have audioquest cables running my NAD M25 so maybe trying new rca cables will help. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    i totally get what everyone is saying about it being a subjective topic. Right now, i have audioquest cables running my NAD M25 so maybe trying new rca cables will help. Any recommendations?
    Which Audioquest interconnects?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Banned

Audioquest G-Snake Audio Interconnects.... and i also have bluejeans interconnects.. i cant really hear much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    Audioquest G-Snake Audio Interconnects.... and i also have bluejeans interconnects.. i cant really hear much difference.
    Those are good entry level, but you could step it up a bit as well. It all comes down to how much you want to spend.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Banned

i would like cables that warm my music... i keep getting angry at my choices of high end components and perhaps my issues have been interconnects or even speaker cables.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I have to agree some with Mantis above and I've said it here before. Mass manufacturers with a huge distribution base like Pioneer just have the R&D for HT over any "specialty" amp maker who is always a tad behind the curve because their primary concern is amplification, not "surround sound"! So I take an Anthem or other pre-amp that is a HT pre-amp with a grain of salt. And say if you want to most BANG for your HT money get a Pioneer SC.

As far as NADs. I have NEVER and I repeat NEVER heard any NAD sound anything but "warmish" regardless of the cabling. Even with **** cables they're still warm. That's one of the reasons they might lose a contest to an Anthem which provides a tad more detail up high. The NAD house sound is a little dark and warm. I, for one, prefer that sound. Though, in all honesty, I've liked Anthem two channels that I've heard quite a bit and they have some warmth as well but I do think they are more detailed which can be a factor in A/Bing the two products.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Thread Information