Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default phono pre amp recommendations needed

I am looking for suggestions on what would be an excellent phono pre amp to match with a Parasound P/LD 1500 pre amp and a Parasound 1500A power amp. This is for a strictly 2-channel system for my Polk SDA 2B TL speakers and Rotel RCC 1055 CD player.

I just purchased the Parasound P/LD 1500 pre amp from a fellow PF member yesterday and will get it next week. I had been looking for a pre amp with a phone stage but I heard great things about the Parasound P/LD pre amps and decided to get the P/LD 1500 pre although it doesn't have a phono stage. So now I will need to get a separate phono pre amp.

I like to spin vinyl at least a few days a week so I would like to get an excellent phono pre amp. My budget is around $200 - $300 so please let me know if there are some good phono pre amps that would be within my budget. I think vintage is the way to go to maximize quality and cost.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what phono pre would be a good match for my Parasound pre and power amp and also would be within my budget.

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Might as well look at the Parasound ZPhono if you haven't
    For the money I've read it's pretty good.
    For vintage at that dollar level I haven't any idea what you can find.
    Just watch the audio boards.

Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Congrats on eight grand Enders.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post
    Congrats on eight grand Enders.
    Huh????
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

^ your post #, wake up

Thanks for the recommendations, brgman and EndersShadow.

Does anyone have any experience with the Music Hall PA 1.2 phono pre amp? I have been doing some online research on phono pre amps and that one also gets good reviews.

Thanks again.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I've got a first generation stock Jolida JD9 if you want to consider that.....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Thanks, Erik. The Jolida JD9 seems like a great unit but it would be beyond my budget (under $300).

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by pglbook View Post
    Thanks, Erik. The Jolida JD9 seems like a great unit but it would be beyond my budget (under $300).
    Check your PM....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Bugle- $139
    If mine ever shows, I could let you know how it sounds.
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by pglbook View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, brgman and EndersShadow.

Does anyone have any experience with the Music Hall PA 1.2 phono pre amp? I have been doing some online research on phono pre amps and that one also gets good reviews.

Thanks again.
    My friend Rob has one. He was looking to upgrade from his Pro-Ject 2.9 table. He always lusted over my Nottingham Space 294 and the time came I was selling it. I took it over there, the idea being only if he heard an improvement that he should buy it. We first installed his Sumiko Blue Point cartridge on the Space for a more apples to apples comparison and then my Karat 17D3. I was not expecting much but the PA 1.2 clearly showed the improvements a better table and then a better cartridge can make. I was really impressed.

The PA 1.2 has a fixed MC loading of 100 Ohms so you have to match a cartridge to it. Higher priced offerings will allow for different MC loading settings. MM is standard 47k Ohm loading.
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 10-26-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Thanks mrbiron and SCompRacer.

I am still researching phono pre amps so the info is much appreciated.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

You can get the Belari cheaper than that from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bellari-VP130-.../dp/B002TD4GME

One criticism of it that I've read is that it can use a power supply upgrade, but with a better power supply it's supposed to be really great.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Re: Bellari, I can't speak to VP130 per se, but I've used the 530 to rip vinyl and listen to records in my study. I really like it for that purpose, but am waiting to see if something like the new PS Audio unit would be worth the the $. There's no power switch on the Bellari - a little weird - and I can easily imagine a better power supply would benefit it. With a NOS Mullard, it's detailed and smooth with adjustable gain. I would imagine the 130 is similar in performance minus the ADC. I do see 530's going at a discount occasionally. I paid $350 at Amazon.

I was happy with a Project Tube Box II ($280 used) which I thought was noticeably better than the Phono Box II ($100 used). I ended up replacing the Tube Box with a JD9ii. Haven't modded, but love it still.

Craig
    Den: Rega RP6 , Jolida jd9ii , Jolida jd100 , SBTouch , W4S DAC1+ , Belles 20a , MIT Shotgun3 , WW Electra , Sunfire Sig II >> Polk SRS 1.2 (full upgrades, Dreadnought) , Schiit Valhalla >> HD600
    Office: MediaMonkey (wasapi) , Arcam rDac , Dared sl2000a , Pass Aleph 30 >> Revel Performa M22 , Dared MP-5 >> Hartley Reference Mini-Tower

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Check out the used Dynavector P-75
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Also look at needle doctor, audio advisor, MusicDirect, etc, etc for "demo" or "open box" deals on better pres. I picked up a new Sim Audio Moon pre for almost 1/2 retail some years ago. I think it retailed for $525, and I got it for $275.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Thanks for all of the input.

I have been researching a lot of the suggestions, as well as other phono pre amps, and I am now leaning towards getting the Clearaudio Nano phono pre amp. It gets great reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with it?
    Last edited by pglbook; 11-02-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo

The Rogue Audio Stealth/Magnum was replaced recently by the Triton. A Magnum sold on ebay recently for $425 (incl ship). I got a Stealth for ~ $368 (incl ship) this year. American made, Rogue Audio still has the parts to upgrade to Magnum level.

I spoke with Jim Pendleton, owner of Osage Audio, when I was pursuing a CA Nano (evidently replaced by Clearaudio Nano V2). He mentioned a couple of other brands @ that price point he thought were better suited for my TT; but did say the Nano sounded better than CA's next higher model.

Thread Information