Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default Which 1 of these center channels is best w/ Monitor 60s & PSW505? (Size restriction)

    Fairly new to the home speaker world, but just bought my first house so I am setting up a home audio system. Unfortunately I have size restrictions on the center channel. It will be going on a mantle that is 7.5" deep and I have about 8.5" of height space. With 4 monitor 60s and a psw505, which one of these centers do you think will work best? Not looking to spend more than about $400. The CS1/2 and CS10/20 are all too big (9.75" depth or more).

    Polk TL3 Center http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tl3c
    Definitive Technology Procenter 1000 http://www.definitivetech.com/products/procenter-1000 (Leaning torwards this one)
    Any other suggestions?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by UT_King; 10-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    16,039

    Default

    Personally I think any of those are too small. The CS20 would be way better but I understand the size restrictions. Ever think about going with no center at all ? Let the vocals come out of the front left and right speakers.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Would it be that bad if it hung over 2 inches? It should remain secure.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I have the CS20 and it is an awesome speaker. If you can stand it hanging over 2 inches I am sure you will like the way it sounds. The vocals are so clear.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    841

    Default

    I personally wouldn't want an eyesore in my system, like a speaker that looks out of place by sticking out 2 inches. Even thought matching speakers is idealy the best route, in your case I'd get something that is also esthetically pleasing and chances are you'll never know the difference when you hear the sound. Now between the polk and def tech, I have not heard either spaker. I have read possitive things about def tech, have not seen much on the polk. Also the def tech center has 4.5in drivers with a 1 in tweeter, while the polk has 3.25in drivers with a 3/4in tweeter, so the bigger drivers and tweeter on the def tech are a closer match to the monitors that you have. I'd lean towards def tech.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
    Would it be that bad if it hung over 2 inches? It should remain secure.
    Well the CS20 would hang over 3.25" compared to CS10 would hang over 2.25". I thought about buying the CS10 and seeing how it looked. Its not that it wouldnt be secure, its more that it would look bad and hang so far out off the mantle. Not to mention stick out below the TV (which is about 2-3" above).

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lietuvis91 View Post
    I personally wouldn't want an eyesore in my system, like a speaker that looks out of place by sticking out 2 inches. Even thought matching speakers is idealy the best route, in your case I'd get something that is also esthetically pleasing and chances are you'll never know the difference when you hear the sound. Now between the polk and def tech, I have not heard either spaker. I have read possitive things about def tech, have not seen much on the polk. Also the def tech center has 4.5in drivers with a 1 in tweeter, while the polk has 3.25in drivers with a 3/4in tweeter, so the bigger drivers and tweeter on the def tech are a closer match to the monitors that you have. I'd lean towards def tech.
    Yea, that is why I was thinking about going with the def tech. Its the closest match to speaker size i could find while being in a fairly compact design.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Personally I think any of those are too small. The CS20 would be way better but I understand the size restrictions. Ever think about going with no center at all ? Let the vocals come out of the front left and right speakers.
    That is what I am currently doing now. I was going to buy one of these centers and compare to no center. I just figured a center (even if a tad smaller) would be much better than no center at all. The def tech is close in speaker size and both have 1" tweeters.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks for the replies so far. Seems like I'm really in a jam with the TV over the fireplace.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UT_King View Post
    Yea, that is why I was thinking about going with the def tech. Its the closest match to speaker size i could find while being in a fairly compact design.
    Your thinking makes sense to me. ;-)

    And I really think that at the end of the day, when you have everything dialed in right, it will sound just fine and you'll never know the difference. Wouldn't sweat the mismatch
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Two Center Channels
    By cowtrimmer in forum Speakers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 11:32 PM
  3. center channels: cs1000p vs. SRT center channel
    By LeftCoast in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 01:14 AM
  4. monitor 50s and center channels
    By vinhividivici in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
  5. Center Channels
    By VR3 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 07:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts