Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Usher has some competition now...

One of them will have to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg‎
Views:	296
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	91201   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg‎
Views:	214
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	91200  
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

The Ushers are definitely sexier. I love the glossy paint. Not that that would be part of your decision unless all things else were equal, just an observation.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

What are those? Totems? Dynaudio? Something else?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Totem forest. Got them for a good price and now see why. Still got more than my money's worth, but Jesse, if you're reading this, please send me your phone number again. I'm going to need some guidance.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (26)

For.......?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    For.......?

Tom
    What?

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    .......<snip>.....but Jesse, if you're reading this, please send me your phone number again. I'm going to need some guidance.
    I was asking for what? Even though you asked Jesse, I was curious as to where you would like your audio journey to go. That's it, nothing more and nothing less. Just curious is all bro'.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Cabinet issue that I think he can help with.

As far as the audio journey, I just want to be on one.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

i think you need another set of ears this weekend.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    i think you need another set of ears this weekend.
    Let me know when you're free. I've got the house to myself, but also got a crapload of school work to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    One of them will have to go.
    Oh, your Ushers are the Piano Black finish. Did you see the white finish ones for sale on CL in your area? http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/4070715878.html I thought they were yours. Anyway, competition is not a bad thing...enjoy the battle!
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Oh, your Ushers are the Piano Black finish. Did you see the white finish ones for sale on CL in your area?
    Yes and I think the guy is crazy at the price. I don't think he has the cast iron bases AND they are in the much less desirable white. They're overpriced by a few hundred I think.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Finally getting your ears on some Totem eh? I've moved on in my audio journey, but Totem makes some of my favorite box speakers in that price range. I imagine I'd actually prefer those over your Usher given my taste, but can't imagine them keeping up with the Usher on the low end...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

the bad thing is skip has never loaded the compartments in the ushers with lead shot to see what improvements it would make.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

the bad thing is skip has never loaded the compartments in the ushers with lead shot to see what improvements it would make.
    Guess what these Totem's are full of? Guess what they won't be full of soon?

After only a night of listening, I don't think these will stick around long. They sound incredible and seem to bridge a gap between the Usher and the Magnepan. Transparency is better than the Usher, but it blows Usher out of the water in overall detail. For some reason, the Usher as a whole has sound a bit lacking in that area and I'm not sure why. Their bass is not nearly as impressive as the Usher and not nearly as articulate as the Magnepan. I haven't heard a tower disappear as well as these have, but it still isn't as impressive as the Magnepan's transparency.

I've played with position some and I'm impressed that the center image doesn't fall apart as much as many speakers when little to no toe in is applied. They've sounded great in any position I've put them in, but I still want to get them closer to the wall to reinforce the bass some. That's a bit more of an undertaking as I have to find a place to move the 6311's.

The biggest issue I have with them is that I don't think they are a good match for my amps - they begin to sound fatiguing after a while. I definitely see why many people enjoy them though and think they would thrive with some more wattage behind them. Throw in a sub to handle the lowest frequencies and I think it'd be a very hard speaker to beat.

Edit - wanted to add that their soundstage width is not quite as wide as the Usher or the Magnepan. While it does extend beyond the speakers, the presence they have out there is not nearly as strong as the other two. I suspect this could be due to the amp mismatch or the fact that I haven't found that "special" placement yet.
    Last edited by DSkip; 10-31-2013 at 02:26 PM.

I love my little Totems. They definitely disappear into the room and imaged much better than anything else I auditioned at the time. They do sound great anywhere in the room but when you're in the sweet spot the center image is fantastic. I'd love to hear them on a better system in a better room than mine. I've heard good things about the Hawks and Forests. Sounds like a tough decision to make, but I can't think of a better problem to have!
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've always wondered what the Totem's sounded like. I agree having to decide between the Usher's and Totem's is not a bad problem.:)
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, Dared SL-2000A , B&K ST-202 , DacMagic
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azur 640A v2, Polk MicroPro 3000, Audioquest Dragonfly
    Cables: AQ Diamondback, Sidewinder, Kimber 4tc

Never heard me no Totems. Which is weird as they are Canadian are they not?
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Quote Originally Posted by Midnite Mick View Post
    Headquartered in Montreal if memory serves me.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Yep, that they are. Nice speakers for sure. At this point, I think the totems are on borrowed time. The dynamics of the Usher are very hard to give up and they seem a bit warmer. I'm still surprised at how well they disappear.

To explain how close this was, it came down to two factors - they don't sound as good on the monoblocks, and the totems project the soundstage below my screen. The usher drivers are positioned 9-10" higher and that makes a huge difference for movies.

I'm hoping after loading my ushers, getting be tweeters, and a complete crossover overhaul, they will gain the pros of the totems while retaining the character of usher that I love so much.

Response Audio used to mod the Ushers a fair bit several years ago. He might be a good guy to talk to regarding crossover upgrades.

Name just came to me Bill Baker.
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

btw the character you reference I call musicality. As that is what I love about their sound.
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

Response Audio used to mod the Ushers a fair bit several years ago. He might be a good guy to talk to regarding crossover upgrades.

Name just came to me Bill Baker.
    I have the great privilege of living within a short drive of Danny Richie. He will eventually (I hope) design a completely new crossover network with the Be tweeter replacement and do a few extra mods to mine.

Might be worth it to just step up to the dancer minis as the mid-bass driver is better.

And if you like Danny Ritchie he is the one that did the factory ones.
    Last edited by Midnite Mick; 11-01-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

It's crossed my mind. I've eyed the md1 a few times but I'm thinking the md2 might be out of the question if I'm going to keep the amps. Oh the pitfalls of SET. The 6311 shines on them though and the md1 might do the same.

That actually would be a problem. It would make his Usher's much heavier to move. At this rate, it looks to be every other day! Haha

Halen
    Music || Chord Hugo DAC | Usher 777 DMD | B&K Ref | High Rez Digital |
    Movie || SMX ProCurve 2.35 1.30 | Seymour CenterStage xD AT Screen | JVC DLA X500 |
    Garage || LSIM 705 | NAD | Sony CDP |

i asked stan about 6311 with Be tweeter vs. mini 1's and he said that the 6311's is a good sounding speaker and with the Be tweeter would be equal or better than the mmini 1's. Bill Baker did design a crossover mod for the 6311 but it did not include the Be tweeter.
    besides, I hate the sound of ushers.
    Main system

Hey Marvin just curious why the 6311 would sound better with the Be vs mini 1's....as much as you hate the sound of Ushers of course.
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

stan is the distributor for usher, that was his take.
    Main system

The md 2 is not hard to drive. I drove them with 30 watts SET amp before unless you listen at very loud level. If you like Usher sound, md 2 is next major upgrade.

Thread Information