Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default First pair of SDA's!!!

I've been on the forum for a couple years now and with much help from the folks here I have grown my interest and investment into this lifestyle an amazing amount.

I have a 2 ch system that I am happy with, a home theater that is good enough for my usage...but I had yet to get into vintage stuff. More importantly, I had never heard SDA's. Reading here about them all the time is almost enough to drive a man crazy.

Well, after recently completing a few projects, I finally got the ok to dive into my man room! I negotiated this room with the wife when we bought the house about a year ago. She get's the whole walk-in master closet...I get the fourth bedroom in the basement. Deal!

Sooo, I just picked up some SDA 2A studios from a fellow forum member. He has upgraded the tweeters and dynamited and armacelled. I am running them for now on a HK 3490, but plan to keep my eyes out for some vintage amplification.

He brought them over today and for the past 30 min or so, I have been checking out room placement. The room is a little over 10'x10' which may not be perfect for the speakers, but they do sound really good.

Here are some pics from my phone....I have to give a shout out to Mikey here on the forum for the color choice. The room is still a work in process and will be completed with some sage green room treatments and various concert posters I have framed.

Anyways, I am VERY excited...now though, back to listening.

Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_164827.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	91226Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_164806.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	91225Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_165621.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	91229Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_164855.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	91228Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_164841.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	91227
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Congrats, enjoy!
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Congrats on the nice speakers, Paul!

Sweet Paul so what do you think, every thing you expected? I bet your liking them they look to be in good shape, a two channel room, I bet you will be spending a lot of time down there once the snow flies.

Enjoy your new to you SDAs.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gudnoyez View Post
    Sweet Paul so what do you think, every thing you expected? I bet your liking them they look to be in good shape, a two channel room, I bet you will be spending a lot of time down there once the snow flies.
    I didn't know what to expect, but I do really like them so far. Again, my room may not be perfectly suited to them, but I am continuing to mess around with placement.

I didn't know what to expect regarding the sda effect. So far...it seems like the soundstage is pretty wide considering the size of the room, but what is happening within the six feet between the speakers is pretty special.

I listened for awhile and then brought in four 2'x4' acoustical treatments and they are sounding better and better.

I currently have them 8" from the back wall and 2' from each side wall. That seems to give me the best mix of wide soundstage, bass and overall sound. It sacrifices a touch of depth from when I had them 14" out, but remember...the room is small so I currently have the tweets 6' apart and my head is 7' 6" from each tweet.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I am not sure from the pictures but you should not toe in the speakers.

Congratulations by the way.

Where in Wisconsin are you located? Its a great place to live.

Very nice. Enjoy

Congrats enjoy

I'd recommend staying away from vintage if you're going to do further upgrades to them. Modded pairs respond well to good gear and the more you upgrade, the more likely you'll hear the other weaknesses in your rig. Better electronics will definitely improve their sound.

Congrats and enjoy the music man! I remember having virgin sda ears and the anticipation that builds before you hear them. I've never owned a pair but have heard a few models now and fully modded pairs are a treat.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

The fun part is going through your music collection and discovering what you got that complements them. I already had 2 pair of CRS +'s , when I came home with my 2B's and told the wife look what I got she frowned but once she heard Heart Dog And Butterfly she was grinning from ear to ear she was just as happy as I was.

The wind chimes between the song Nada One and Mistral Wind gives you goosebumps hearing them through SDA's.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Enjoy the speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by NJPOLKER View Post

Congratulations by the way.

Where in Wisconsin are you located? Its a great place to live.
    Thanks for the tip. Opened them up a bit. A little less congestion.

Wisconsin Dells, we really like it here.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I'd recommend staying away from vintage if you're going to do further upgrades to them. Modded pairs respond well to good gear and the more you upgrade, the more likely you'll hear the other weaknesses in your rig. Better electronics will definitely improve their sound.

Congrats and enjoy the music man! I remember having virgin sda ears and the anticipation that builds before you hear them. I've never owned a pair but have heard a few models now and fully modded pairs are a treat.
    I've also been reading about tubes now for a good while. Maybe I just get a tube pre, a nice amp and go all in. :-)
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by NJPOLKER View Post
    ^^^This^^^

And you'll love the low frequencies if you push them closer to the rear wall . . .

CONGRATS, man!!

G
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

The dells right up the road a few hours from us been there a couple of times during the summer at the water parks nice place to live.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

congratulations----enjoy and have fun!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Reclining leather chair should be your next upgrade.

Ain't it great to have a hiding spot
    Here by the sea and sand nothing ever goes as planned.

McIntosh MC 7270 ~ Rogue Audio Métis Preamplifier ~ Rogue Stealth Phono Pre ~ Denon 5910 ~ Vandersteen 3A ~ VPI HW19 Mk III with upgraded platter, SME tonearm and Ortofon Kontrapunkt A cartridge

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Congrats! No toe in as others stated. Enjoy. I love my SDA-2.3TL's and SDA-2B's.

Congratulations.... but be warned, once you listen to them for a while, you find many non SDA speakers not as involving as they once were. I am rethinking my entire collection. Is ignorance bliss? Was I better to have never heard them at all? Nope... music is even more engaging.

Enjoy

You know its illegal in 38 states to put lamps or other items on top of Polks? lol

Good for you nice clean look !
    My I suggest this
    http://www.standsandmounts.com/sanus...blackafab.aspx

Nice hide-away!

Congratulations!

Now, your fun begins as you start down the rabbit hole.
    Family Room
    PS Audio PW MKII DAC, PW Transport; AQ Vodka IC
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

A new chair for the upstairs maybe, but that chair will be staying for awhile. We got it from my wife's grandparents and her grandma was like, "You guys really want that old thing?" 2 min in it and I was like, "Yes, maam."

I bet at least five thousand butts have hit that chair. Talk about break in period...that might be the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by dromunds View Post
    You know its illegal in 38 states to put lamps or other items on top of Polks? lol
    No disrespect to your speaks, Don, but that lamp is only about 3 lbs, and won't be there long. I have a few other ideas for the hideout.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    Good for you nice clean look !
    My I suggest this
    http://www.standsandmounts.com/sanus...blackafab.aspx
    Yep, I need a new stand. That table does have sentimental value, so it will be a cocktail table next to the sweet chair once I get a new stand.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post
    Yep, I need a new stand. That table does have sentimental value, so it will be a cocktail table next to the sweet chair once I get a new stand.
    Holy ****! My parents had that end table set growing up! Those were solid tables.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (12)

WARNING!!!

You have entered the SDA Rabbit Hole. There is no escape, no turning back. Soon you will feel compelled to open your wallet and feed them whatever they need, and whenever they demand it. I think of them as that cute little kitten you brought home, not knowing she will grow into a 600 pound Jaguar, ready to eat you alive.

congrats... these are among the most rewarding and engaging speakers ever created. Feed them well, and the girls ill reward you and your family for a lifetime.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Congrats on the speakers. I picked up my first pair 2 years ago and I just can't quit trying to see what they can do. The more I upgrade the better they are, no idea of the limit of what they can offer.

They do like a lot of high-current power, and do not toe them in. Check out the setup of SDA's and you will see that the front of the speakers need to be on the same plane and at least 3' from the side walls.

Also, I would probably case the guitar so it doesn't try to sing along with the speakers.

Congrats! The 2As when upgraded, compete very well with their younger siblings. The 3rd generation crossovers will be pricey to upgrade properly, if they haven't been already, but the end result is worth every penny.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Thread Information