Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Unhappy Panasonic Plasma No More

We have heard the rumors, and now it is official:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576...sma-tv-panels/

Too bad, such a great product.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Sad, still the best picture IMO...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Damn shame, best TV's on the market bar none. The general public never appreciates quality, always shops price.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I though they were cheap as well. Unless they were loosing money on sales.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

well there are quite a few stores that wouldn't even display Panasonic plasmas because they had a lower profit margin than the televisions in the same price range that also have in many cases an inferior picture than them
    System Details:
    Marantz SR 8200, Rega RP1, Marantz CD 5004, Denon DRR-680, Carver M-4.0t
    Polk SDA 1C (modified), Definitive Technologies BP-10, Polk Audio CS400i

I knew it!. I never saw plasmas tv's as a big hit. I never liked Plasmas TVs for many reasons. By the way, I work fixing TVs lol.
    Make it simple...Make it better!

Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    I knew it!. I never saw plasmas tv's as a big hit. I never liked Plasmas TVs for many reasons. By the way, I work fixing TVs lol.
    Seriously??
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Quote Originally Posted by Kreskin
    I knew it!. I never saw plasmas tv's as a big hit.
    Huh? Panasonic alone has sold hundreds of millions over the last decade.
    I never liked Plasmas TVs for many reasons.
    Is it the superior blacks/contrast ratio?The lack of motion blur?The deep natural colours?or the non restricted viewing angle that you don't like?

I will continue to enjoy viewing my Panasonic Plasma.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Looks like I bought mine just in time then thankfully
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (14)

When I learned about this awhile back, I felt another lose in our industry. Where is it going to end? now IF or maybe better put when my Elite Kuro goes down, what the hell am I going to replace it with? The ZT60 I thought was pretty damn close to the performance of my Kuro and I can get it in 5 inches bigger. I may have to scoop one up and put it away for that rainy day in the future.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Yeah, they figured out they could make LCD's and LED's thinner, lighter and cheaper but sacrificing PQ IMO. I'll enjoy my Panny plasma until it dies...

I sure am glad I recently bought a Panasonic 60ST60.
    It looks like I got it just in time.
    I love it - best picture of any TV out there, imho.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I'm strongly considering picking up another one while I still can, I'll keep it in storage...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by pglbook View Post
    I sure am glad I recently bought a Panasonic 60ST60.
    It looks like I got it just in time.
    I love it - best picture of any TV out there, imho.
    The ST series offers outstanding PQ for the money.I imagine dealers will soon start dumping their inventories at deep discounts.

Hopefully, OLED TVs will soon be widely available, and at lower prices to fill the void for those off us who want the best PQ. I am waiting until I can get at least a 72" OLED for $5K, or less.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Hopefully, OLED TVs will soon be widely available, and at lower prices to fill the void for those off us who want the best PQ. I am waiting until I can get at least a 72" OLED for $5K, or less.
    It'll happen. I personally feel the 4k hurdle and massive tv sizes are big factors in their demise. Paired with the lower sales numbers, I don't think it was worth the investment to keep up with the joneses, at least spec wise.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Noooooo! Such sad news, but I am glad they are working on their OLED sets for that will be my next TV when my Panny dies. I absolutely love my TC-P65GT50 and my wife has actually called me once to say that she loves the picture of our Panny.

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    Yeah, they figured out they could make LCD's and LED's thinner, lighter and cheaper but sacrificing PQ IMO. I'll enjoy my Panny plasma until it dies...
    Sacrifice PICTURE QUALITY? hahahaha. You are really late in technology. you are comparing the technology of long time ago.Today it is not just the time response that has improved (less than 2 nanoseconds time response) but, blacks/contrast ratio, colors, viewing angle, Reliability and do not forget LCD/LED TVs use less energy....But again...What do I know about TVs?...I just fix them lol

Sacrifice PICTURE QUALITY? hahahaha. You are really late in technology. you are comparing the technology of long time ago.Today it is not just the time response that has improved (less than 2 nanoseconds time response) but, blacks/contrast ratio, colors, viewing angle, Reliability and do not forget LCD/LED TVs use less energy....But again...What do I know about TVs?...I just fix them lol
    Improved, yes. On par with Plasma, no.

This article was written September 5th 2013. Pretty recently.

The biggest advantage of plasma in most people’s eyes is the excellent black levels. Since each cell is lit individually, a plasma TV can produce a black image (or small areas of black) by applying no current to those cells. By contrast – no pun intended – LED TVs look much greyer. Even direct-lit LED TVs aren’t lit per-pixel, so cannot match a plasma TV for black levels.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-ad...#ixzz2jMOATS41
    Another issue of LED TVs (because of their LCD panels) is narrow viewing angles. Viewing angles depend on the type of LCD panel used. LED TVs with poor viewing angles typically lose saturation when viewed from the side (or simply not square-on) but colours might change completely or invert.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-ad...#ixzz2jMOUphoM
    Last edited by Nightfall; 10-31-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Pretty sure no mass produced television is measured in nanoseconds.... That's billionths of a second.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

I am saddened by this. I sold my VT30 this year and miss the picture quality sorely. The Sharp is huge but the black levels and quality aren't even in the same league.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

What a bummer....I just picked up my S64 from Costco and freaking love it.....glad I did.

I've always been a plasma guy. Since Pioneer bowed out of the plasma realm, it was really an uphill battle for Panasonic to carry on the plasma torch. The old myths of plasmas consuming lots of electricity, having burnt in images, and being overly heavy haunted the sets from the beginning even though they've largely been solved. My eyes may not be the best, but I've always preferred a good plasma over a LCD any day. I guess I'll be holding onto my panny until it dies, maybe i'll get one at discount while I still can.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

if you buy an LCD TV from Walmart...you know those $299.00...of course it going to be a bad and cheap LCD TV!!! but if you spend $$$$$ you will get an excellent LCD TV, like Sharp ELITE ($5000) that has better picture quality than any plasma today. oh and do not forget if you like watching TV in your living room and it has a lot windows and lights...LCD TVs are brighter than plasmas and that is a very bad point for Plasma, since the pictures will look deemed compared to the LCD. again We are talking about a good LCD TV here (not from the usual $299 from Walmart). But if you like Plasmas TVs...You better buy them now before they put them to rest forever!!!

CNET is a pretty big organization, right?

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tvs-picture-quality/

Best picture quality we've ever reviewed
    Panasonic TC-PZT60 series
    Panasonic's ultimate plasma TV is the best-performing television we've ever tested. Both it and the less-expensive VT60 have finally surpassed the overall performance of the Pioneer Kuro, a legendary and long-extinct television that held the "best ever" mantle since 2008. And the ZT60 is just a bit better than the VT60, by virtue of its better performance in bright rooms. And that's it. Turn down the lights, and the two Panasonics at the top of this list are virtually indistinguishable.

Anyhow, agree to disagree I suppose, Lanchile.

OLED is going to be where it's at in the near future.
    Last edited by Nightfall; 11-01-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

if you buy an LCD TV from Walmart...you know those $299.00...of course it going to be a bad and cheap LCD TV!!! but if you spend $$$$$ you will get an excellent LCD TV, like Sharp ELITE ($5000) that has better picture quality than any plasma today. oh and do not forget if you like watching TV in your living room and it has a lot windows and lights...LCD TVs are brighter than plasmas and that is a very bad point for Plasma, since the pictures will look deemed compared to the LCD. again We are talking about a good LCD TV here (not from the usual $299 from Walmart). But if you like Plasmas TVs...You better buy them now before they put them to rest forever!!!
    While the Sharp Elite has very good picture quality, especially for a LED unit - it still cannot touch a ZT series plasma for overall picture quality. Also - those units have had a very high failure rate which is bad for how expensive they are. The Magnolia here has had every single one on display break to the point where they don't even put them out any more.
    Main Surround -

lanchile, just because you fix TVs does not mean you know anything about LED or Plasma picture quality. Why would you even think that? It makes no sense. Anyway, while LED technology has improved, other than you, no one would say LED is better than plasma in terms of picture quality. Of course, the best LED will be better than low end plasmas, but in an apple to apple comparison, the plasma will win.

Out of curiosity, weren't you the person a few months ago arguing power cords made no difference because you could measure the voltage with your multi-meter?

I think that's a very good point as well. I know if I were using my TV mainly during the day time with open curtains and sun shining in, the plasma would be a tough sell for that purpose. Panasonic has invested into anti-glare/anti-reflective coating, but it never really gets rid of the light drowning out the screen. However, I mostly use my TV at night with dimmed lighting or in the dark for movies, and wow does it still impress me. I believe if it were a comparably priced LCD vs. Plasma, I would still take the plasma for my own viewing preferences. Of course, the LCD vs. Plasma debate has gone on and on, and plasma does fare much better on AV forums such as this one. However, to the general public, LCD is what they know, it's in their laptops, remotes, monitors, and thus to them it must be better than some obscure technology which isn't as ubiquitous as the LCD.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Member Sales Rating: (13)

LCD/LED whatever, all have tha same problems. The picture has an artifical cartoon like appearance and fast action still blurs. Plasma looks much more realistic, like film.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information