Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    846

    Default Which tubes should I roll first on my integrated tube amp

    I have the Yaqin MS 300 SET (integrated) Amp. The tube compliment is a pair of 300b Power tubes, a pair of 6sn7 driver tubes, a pair of 12AT7 voltage regulators and the 5u4gb rectifier tube.

    My first question is, does rolling the 12at7 tubes make a major difference in the sonic presentation? In other word, would it be wise to invest in quality nos tubes? I dont know the role the voltage regulator tubes play in the presentation.

    Secondly, if you were rolling tubes on this amp, what would your priority order be? and why?

    Thanks for any insight you can give
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,226

    Default

    The driver and power tubes will make the biggest difference.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (47)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sufficiently Breathless
    Posts
    11,280

    Default

    my .02-- roll the 6sn's first.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    The driver and power tubes will make the biggest difference.
    Thanks Jesse and George..........kinda what I thought but always good to get reliable confirmation.
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  5. #5
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    my .02-- roll the 6sn's first.
    This is what I would do also; lots of great options out there.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    This is what I would do also; lots of great options out there.
    Got any suggestions Jake?
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,236

    Default

    I have a killer pair of Valvo gold pins that will fit the 12at7 spot if interested. To me all the tubes make a difference.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    I have a killer pair of Valvo gold pins that will fit the 12at7 spot if interested. To me all the tubes make a difference.

    H9
    Thanks for the offer H9............
    I think I will try to price the 6sn7 tube market first, let me get back to you on the 12at7, when I can see where I'm going
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Cape Breton Island,NS Canada
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Sylvania 6sn7's sound good in my Yaqin Integrated Amp...... Mid 1950's.
    Last edited by larry777; 01-14-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    Home Theatre.............

    Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub


    2 Channel.............................

    Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    3,560

    Default

    The cold ones for sure...cause they will melt yo finga












    sorry couldn't resist



    really try this guy:http://stores.ebay.com/Perpetual-Peace?_rdc=1


    great seller I have bought some from him he will treat you with much respect and there are never any worries.
    Last edited by pitdogg2; 01-14-2014 at 09:25 PM.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larry777 View Post
    Sylvania 6sn7's sound good in my Yaqin Integrated Amp...... Mid 1950's.
    Thanks for the feedback larry....how do you like your yaqin 100b? I was thinking about trying to find one if I could around $500 used
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    846

    Default

    thanks pittdogg.............gotcha
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Cape Breton Island,NS Canada
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dhart86 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback larry....how do you like your yaqin 100b? I was thinking about trying to find one if I could around $500 used
    I really like the MC-100B. I had it a year in Nov, and just getting around to changing the KT-88 power tubes. I changed the 12AX7's first and then the 6SN7's. The amp responds well to tube changes and sounds really good. Lots of power, and you can use it as a power amp only, if you want to experiment with various Preamps. Hook up a decent source, with quality RCA's, along with a quality power cord and speaker cables and you will be more than happy with the sound. Dead quiet when you turn on the amp.

    I saw used units on Canuck Audio Mart a few times in the past but none for awhile, as they seem to go quick. All the reviews that you find on line are positive, and they mention often, how well this Amp responds to tube changes.
    Last edited by larry777; 01-15-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Home Theatre.............

    Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub


    2 Channel.............................

    Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larry777 View Post
    I really like the MC-100B. I had it a year in Nov, and just getting around to changing the KT-88 power tubes. I changed the 12AX7's first and then the 6SN7's. The amp responds well to tube changes and sounds really good. Lots of power, and you can use it as a power amp only, if you want to experiment with various Preamps. Hook up a decent source, with quality RCA's, along with a quality power cord and speaker cables and you will be more than happy with the sound. Dead quiet when you turn on the amp.



    I saw used units on Canuck Audio Mart a few times in the past but none for awhile, as they seem to go quick. All the reviews that you find on line are positive, and they mention often, how well this Amp responds to tube changes.

    Just as I expected......I have the Yaqin MS 300 SET amp. Sound is outstanding, but due to the limited output (9.5 watts)
    you can only pair with high efficiency speakers. The MC 100b would allow for more speaker choices
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Cape Breton Island,NS Canada
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dhart86 View Post
    Just as I expected......I have the Yaqin MS 300 SET amp. Sound is outstanding, but due to the limited output (9.5 watts)
    you can only pair with high efficiency speakers. The MC 100b would allow for more speaker choices
    That's one of the reasons I decided to buy the MC 100B......good output power (4 ohm & 8 ohm) that will allow more speaker choice. 10 o'clock on the dial is loud, and most times I use less volume than that...in a fair sized room.
    Home Theatre.............

    Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub


    2 Channel.............................

    Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. SOLD Yaqin MC10L tube integrated with 4 genalex 6922 pre tubes+2 MIT IC's
    By polkfarmboy in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM
  2. Need Help Integrated Tube Amp
    By salasg in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
  3. Jolida 1501RC Integrated Hybrid Amplifier plus tubes
    By inspiredsports in forum Electronics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
  4. SOLD HCT Integrated Tube Amp
    By nikolas812 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 08:34 AM
  5. FS: Harmon Kardon TUBE Integrated Amp AND Bogen TUBE Tuner
    By Ballylongford in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts