Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (20)

So I guess my Panasonic P60ST60 is gong back...

...in the box and into storage as a backup because I just bought the P60ZT60! I really should be spending my money on other things (you know, like housing and food), but I found a good deal on one locally and decided to jump on it. I found a good deal on one locally and that was enough to push me over the edge. Maybe there will be $2400 OLED sets out in a year or two that have as good of picture quality as the ZT60, but I"m not counting on it and don't want to risk it. If I'm wrong that's not an absurd amount of money to gamble...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Been enjoying my Panasonic plasma 58" for years, hopefully she will last a long time. I calibrated with DVE when I got it, and the picture is fantastic.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (28)

As much as I like the look of plasma, I can understand the decision. I am glad to see they are pursuing OLED. I feel that OLED will be a superior product to both LCD and Plasma in the near future. Less power, better contrast, thinner panel, etc. Hopefully the big 3-4 manufacturers can perfect it and bring down cost in the next few years.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Does anybody besides me still use a CRT tv anymore? My Vizio 22" LCD could never achieve the deep black level of my CRT, just not happening. Didn't plasma tvs achieve as dark or darker black levels as a CRT? F1 was right about LCD and LED tvs having a cartoon look to them. Especially if you get up close to them at a certain angle , it's like the image loses any kind of depth to it and looks all washed out and thin. That Panasonic ZT60 sounds like a beautiful set and a good one to get.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I like Vizio's for an inexpensive alternative in bedrooms, patio, etc. I have 4 Vizio LCD's spread throughout the house and bunkhouse.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Well, this cements my decision for a "family" Christmas present. 42 - 50" should do nicely as our second TV.

Or maybe wait even later to snag a deal from an online retailer looking to clear inventory.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    Does anybody besides me still use a CRT tv anymore? My Vizio 22" LCD could never achieve the deep black level of my CRT, just not happening. Didn't plasma tvs achieve as dark or darker black levels as a CRT? F1 was right about LCD and LED tvs having a cartoon look to them. Especially if you get up close to them at a certain angle , it's like the image loses any kind of depth to it and looks all washed out and thin. That Panasonic ZT60 sounds like a beautiful set and a good one to get.
    I do. It is a 57" Hitachi Digital Monitor (no tuner). Picture is awesome after calibration. While I would like a bigger, and thinner TV, I can live with this until OLED is ready.

I am so sad... I currently have a Panasonic 46" plasma and I love it... Unfortunately, when this display bites the dust, I will be left in a problem... My home has a "built-in" area for the TVs. It is 45" wide and any set wider than that will not fit. A 46" set is the largest that can fit in there. Unfortunately, everyone has discontinued 46" sets, making either 42" or 50" the only available sizes. My next set will have to be a smaller one.

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Prices have came down and you can now get the 60" TC-P60VT60 for $1709.
    http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Panasoni.../tcp60vt60.htm

That is a great deal.

Agree this is a sad day indeed,it just shows how easy the general public fall for ads.Everyone I know who went for led thought they look so much better because the pictures are blindingly bright in the show room.Even with my plasma I tend to turn down the brightness rather than having it up.Thank goodness I bought the st50 last year.

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma that is 5 years old and everyone who comes over RAVES about it's picture compared to their new LEDs. You can buy the newest version of my TV for under a grand and there is NO LED/LCD in that price range that is even going to come close to its picture quality.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    I am so sad... I currently have a Panasonic 46" plasma and I love it... Unfortunately, when this display bites the dust, I will be left in a problem... My home has a "built-in" area for the TVs. It is 45" wide and any set wider than that will not fit. A 46" set is the largest that can fit in there. Unfortunately, everyone has discontinued 46" sets, making either 42" or 50" the only available sizes. My next set will have to be a smaller one.
    This is a common mistake made by both builders and homeowners. If you have a better Audio Video consultant like myself , I would have pushed you to leave room for a larger TV in the future. You can have a fully built in look and still have plenty of inches for upgrades, you use trim around your current size Tv and give the look of a fully built in TV. Then in the future you remove the trim and have new trim built for the new TV.
    Sorry man wish I could have advised you then.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Huh? Panasonic alone has sold hundreds of millions over the last decade.Is it the superior blacks/contrast ratio?The lack of motion blur?The deep natural colors?or the non restricted viewing angle that you don't like?
    I'm guessing that they didn't need work like all the rest....like the Maytag repairmen

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I am thinking about buying one even though I don't need it now...

Is it worth the extra to go with the ZT version?? Considering the 65 inch, just hate to spend the money now, spent more than I should have at Christmas!

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I am going to look at one tonight..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    As much as I like the look of plasma, I can understand the decision. I am glad to see they are pursuing OLED. I feel that OLED will be a superior product to both LCD and Plasma in the near future. Less power, better contrast, thinner panel, etc. Hopefully the big 3-4 manufacturers can perfect it and bring down cost in the next few years.
    While I fully agree with Jesse above. Plasma is closest to the FILM experience. OLED screens will be the new premium. Unfortunately, they're so damned expensive to make BIG at the moment that there is only a Hi-End market for them. But, as billbillw points out, that tech should slowly get cheaper and cheaper. The question, when will the average Dude be able to afford one?

Oh as to CRTs. I have one in the basement and one in the office still? lol And my main set is a Rear Projection RGB 1080i HDTV. Waiting for that to DIE but I'm not holding my breath. Those RPs trounced the life of early plasma and DLP sets that needed BULBS all the time. So I bought to last and now I'm stuck in the past. But to tell you the truth these sets also produce a wonderfully, film-like picture--when properly calibrated!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 01-02-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxer View Post
    I am thinking about buying one even though I don't need it now...
    me, too! I've been to BB twice now. Very close to pulling the trigger
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Praying for OLED now. Hope my Panny PDP lasts awhile.

Too bad, my Panny Plasma is my fav tv of all...not a huge size but has great natural image
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Oh as to CRTs. I have one in the basement and one in the office still? lol And my main set is a Rear Projection RGB 1080i HDTV. Waiting for that to DIE but I'm not holding my breath. Those RPs trounced the life of early plasma and DLP sets that needed BULBS all the time. So I bought to last and now I'm stuck in the past. But to tell you the truth these sets also produce a wonderfully, film-like picture--when properly calibrated!
    I am in the same boat. I bought a 57" Hitachi digital monitor (no tuner) in November 2004, and had it calibrated. The picture is amazing. However, I have done so many power tweaks in the HT I need to get it recalibrated. I ordered an Oppo 103, so once that is broken in then time for another calibration. I was looking at the Panasonic 65" ZT, but can't rationalize it as long as the Hitachi keeps working.

I had been wanting a 42" plasma for a while, but it took my other TV crapping out to get it. If the TV had to go, I'm glad it did it while the Panny's were still on the market.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    I am going to look at one tonight..
    Let us know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    cnh
    Yes, I hear you on this. I feel that DLP's are more film like vs. some of the LED's out there. When I shopped around the Pani was so the best and most expensive set in the store. Even the cheaper Samsung Plasmas had better pictures than many LED's.

I think buying a used DLP was the best decision I made in terms of Performance, Price, and Size. Even if I have to replace bulbs every year or two, I have a set that can pull off the movie effect when the light are down with a Blu-Ray in the player. Its a great go in between from the 50" Plasma I had and the 105"-120" Projection system I wanted, Cheap performance until the next big thing hits and becomes afforadable.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Praying for OLED now. .
    Sorry to say it is not looking good.Sony and Panasonic have given up further development of OLED because they have deemed it to have too many technical wrinkles to iron out.

Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Praying for OLED now. Hope my Panny PDP lasts awhile.
    I feel you. I horded a Pioneer Elite Kuro, knowing I'd buy the right house to set up a media room some day. Never knew it would be 3 years before I bought that house, but I finally did, and I'm almost ready to start putting the whole HT together.

But my gut reaction to the Panasonic plasmas is "Quick! Buy one before they're gone!" But should I? I mean I've got this Pioneer.

It would seem to make more sense for me to take the money I might spend on a Panny, and if anything, get a nice projector and screen, count my blessings that I was fortunate to be able to get the Pioneer....

....and hope that the next great thing comes out before the Pioneer goes to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    I feel you. I horded a Pioneer Elite Kuro, knowing I'd buy the right house to set up a media room some day. Never knew it would be 3 years before I bought that house, but I finally did, and I'm almost ready to start putting the whole HT together.

But my gut reaction to the Panasonic plasmas is "Quick! Buy one before they're gone!" But should I? I mean I've got this Pioneer.

It would seem to make more sense for me to take the money I might spend on a Panny, and if anything, get a nice projector and screen, count my blessings that I was fortunate to be able to get the Pioneer....

....and hope that the next great thing comes out before the Pioneer goes to heaven.
    If you already have the kuro than forget plasma,go stright for a projector.I went for my first projector a month ago,now watch movie doesn't feel the same anymore.You can't get motion sickness from watching a 60 inch like you can watching a 120 inch projecto-)r.I spent a total of 1500 for projector/screen.

Quote Originally Posted by northernwind View Post
    If you already have the kuro than forget plasma,go stright for a projector.I went for my first projector a month ago,now watch movie doesn't feel the same anymore.You can't get motion sickness from watching a 60 inch like you can watching a 120 inch projecto-)r.I spent a total of 1500 for projector/screen.
    I've been thinking about...trying to find an excuse to do it.

I think seeing "Gravity" at the movie theater is nudging me towards the edge. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

Nice set. What model? Some have reported the dreaded red tint after some time.

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I love my Pioneer Kuro. The only reason I am thinking of getting a Panasonic is to step up to a 60" model. The ST or VT has fantastic prices now.

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Sorry to say it is not looking good.Sony and Panasonic have given up further development of OLED because they have deemed it to have too many technical wrinkles to iron out.
    Samsung might work one out and they are still making PDP. While not quite as good as Panny (IMO) they are good panels. Worst PDP I ever bought was a LG. Blacks were gray compared to my Panny.

Thread Information