Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Default Eh, is anybody even interested anymore?

http://productionadvice.co.uk/category/blog/

I am and it's about damn time.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Agreed.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

I'd hope anyone that registers for this forum would care.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Member Sales Rating: (3)

A glimmer of hope. Interesting vid
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Let us hope so. However, if it is won it is because somebody is losing money, not because they suddenly realized it is the right thing to do. Maybe after all the complaining and bad press poor recordings have generated over the last few years people are starting to realize you can make money with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Maybe after all the complaining and bad press poor recordings have generated...
    Metallica's Death Magnetic alone caused a lot of this. Rick Rubin managed not only to ruin Death Magnetic but also to distort Johnny Cash's Hurt.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Member Sales Rating: (13)

'Bout time!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Let us hope so. However, if it is won it is because somebody is losing money, not because they suddenly realized it is the right thing to do. Maybe after all the complaining and bad press poor recordings have generated over the last few years people are starting to realize you can make money with quality.
    Cha ching !!

Exactly it's always about the $$
    Rogue Audio 99 Magnum/McCormack DNA 500 and 250,McCormack LD-2 pre,Polk SDA SRS 3.1TL's, Paradigm Studio 100's ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/MIT Speaker cables,Alpha Core Python Speaker cables,MIT interconnects,Van Den Hul interconnects /Yamaha RX-A2000

.... people are starting to realize you can make money with quality.
    Interesting point there. Just think, what your average younger gen is willing to pay for music today. Yes, many of them pirate songs...but many will pay for music service, and single song downloads, etc. Then there is the perception that the $300 BEATS headphones are the best sound quality headphones out there.

What if a trendy company or artist, celebrity, etc, could actually push a quality recording, label, music service, headphones, audio equipment, etc.??? I think if done right, true audio quality might be finally marketable to a larger base given what we have seen in the past 10 years or so.

Who would have thought iTunes would get so BIG and the masses would buy $300 headphones? Quality Audio might be the next BIG thing in the digital revolution? Imagine Apple selling high definition audio via itunes and offering iPods with larger drives, etc, etc......then EVERYONE else following suite.....and the rush to offer high quality recordings and playback service and equipment could take off.
    Last edited by WLDock; 11-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

The problem will be, as I see it anyway, perception. Jazzing up a standard recording hotter so it sounds like a higher rez file doesn't qualify in my book. But the powers at be know they can get twice as much if it's marketed as Hi-Rez. Without any industry standard of what constitutes the definitions, and the marketing of such, it's wide open to take your coin.

Why not let Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree do all mastering projects from here on out he did an awesome job on Tull's 40th anniversary edition of Aqualung and every other project he has done.

Or the guys from Mapleshade, their redbook recordings will knock you out.

Very cool and informative video.

The only thing is that the Queens of the stone age album is supposed to be LOUD and heavily compressed. The whole album was intended to be "radio" quality emulating a trip from LA to the desert. There was a lot of thought that had gone into that album and the "loudness" in the album was sort of a nod to the loudness wars. I smirk a little bit every time I pop it into the CD player in my car.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

eh, what did they say?

We attended a Samantha Fish concert last night @ The Wareham Opera House here in Manhattan, Fire Dept. says 400 capacity (probably 200 in attendance). All seats have been removed since it was an actual theater. I can't imagine a very large "opera" ever happening in the venue.

The opening act was a vocalist & guitarist from A La Mode, a classic Kansas City swing band with a splash of blues, folk, and Latin grooves.

www.ClaytonDelong.com

The decibel level was pretty high from our table ~ 40' back, unobstructed view of the stage & just above where the orchestra pit might have been. Likely 90 dB (I usually play my RTiA9s @ 84 dB IF I'm not in the same room, for ambience.

Then Fish took the stage & the volume went UP, UP, UPPPP! It was visceral, the vibrations that is. Likely, jet engine loud. You could feel the vibration thru your feet & in your chest. The sound level obscured Fish's vocals & guitar. Between the 3rd & 4th #, my wife got up & said she was moving farther back, where her ears didn't hurt. She eventually wound up in the lobby, with sound emanating from the entrances on either side of the concession stand.

A couple #s later, & she returned to tell me where she was. I joined her in the lobby, where I would guess it was > 84 dB, but still obscured. We left after that # . . .

Old foggies, is what my wife called us. I've attended some LOUD concerts over the "_ears," but never anything like that. IF the younger generation needs to "feel" their music to that extent, perhaps its indicative of what "music" recording has served up?

correction: I evidently like to listen to Jeff Beck Live @ Ronnie Scott's blu-ray with C-weighted peaks of 94 dB.

I am excited for the future!!!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by gudnoyez View Post
    Why not let Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree do all mastering projects from here on out he did an awesome job on Tull's 40th anniversary edition of Aqualung and every other project he has done.
    ah, but even some of the PT releases are a bit hot, seems even the great Steven Wilson is not immune to the loudness wars...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I for one am very happy.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Very good news. Tired of otherwise excellent material being totally rendered "unlistenable" by poor engineering.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Member Sales Rating: (4)

About damn time, but expect some bull**** marketing with this. Case in point:
    http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/inde...sitation+marks

-The "Standard" version measures 5 on the dynamic range database's scale.
    -The "Audiophile" version measures 6 on the dynamic range database's scale.
    ... That's "Audiophile"???? On a scale of 1 to 20, they cranked it up to a SIX?

Now, maybe there was some technical limitation that, I dunno... wait.... what's that? The vinyl version scores an 11. Vinyl, a medium with less dynamic range, does better. So, in this case, the "audiophile" version was complete and utter bull****. The vinyl is the true audiophile version, and not because of some magical property of vinyl, but because they actually mixed it correctly.

THIS is why I buy vinyl. 9 times out of 10, it's mixed better than the CD. Search for just about any recent album and you'll see the same trend- the vinyl hasn't had the dynamic range crushed.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Can any of the recordings where the volumes were "juiced up" and the dynamics lost be saved? Or were they screwed up from the masters?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by xsmi View Post
    Can any of the recordings where the volumes were "juiced up" and the dynamics lost be saved? Or were they screwed up from the masters?
    _Probably_ for anything recent. Typically a studio is going to record each instrument with the maximum dynamic range, then the mixdown crushed everything. Since drive space has gotten so cheap, you typically keep all the original tracks. So starting around the time Pro Tools gained wide use (2000ish) would be a rough guess for when you'd have a good chance of having unmolested masters.

NOW, this is going to be track-by-track to some degree since sometimes they'll just crank the crap out of everything when doing the recording and what's never there can never be brought back. And there's no guarantee that a studio or label will keep and backup the original tracks.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

I wasn't even aware of this, since I don't listen to pop music all that much. I'm surprised there isn't a professional consortium among audio engineers to deal with issues like this. Some things require regulation.

Thread Information