Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Purchasing Polk Monitor 60 for front, moving Polk Monitor 50 to Rear in 5.1 Questions

Going to move my Polk Monitor 50s to rear (side of couch) for my 5.1 setup. My question is, do I need to elevate the speakers? Or can I just set them on the ground next to the couch? I also though about putting them about 3 feet behind the couch next to the walls. Opinions/suggestions? I am replacing Bose Bookshelf speakers that I have on stands next to my couch that face the person sitting.

Welcome to the club Polk!!

Excellent question! It's going to be a matter of taste for you. I'm using a pair of RTiA9's for rears. I have them on 10" platforms to bring the tweeter/midrange above ear level.

Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Good lord. Rti A9s right behind your head? You're not messing around. I'm hoping the pictures made it look funny, because those stands look incredibly unstable haha.

Giz, I'm sure you'll be fine sitting them on the floor. Try it and see how it sounds. If you can get them off the ground then try that too. I'm sure there's a "by the book" way to do it, but if it sounds good then it is good.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by drummer86 View Post
    Good lord. Rti A9s right behind your head? You're not messing around. I'm hoping the pictures made it look funny, because those stands look incredibly unstable haha.
    LOL, the stands DO look a bit rickity. They are good and solid and serve the A9's well. The A9's blend quite well with the FXiA6's and provide an incredible amount of bass.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

$99 is a good price for those, but it's not a rare deal. I purchased a pair of those almost 3 years ago for $107 ea. and have seen them between $99-109 countless times since then. If you've got the money now - jump on it. If you don't you needn't worry that you won't ever see these prices again.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff4rfc View Post
    LOL, the stands DO look a bit rickity. They are good and solid and serve the A9's well. The A9's blend quite well with the FXiA6's and provide an incredible amount of bass.
    Go big or go home right? It certainly looks intimidating if nothing else.

Thread Information