Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default jumpers on terminals w/ SDA

A few threads ago there was a great picture of the rear terminal cup of a SDA speaker showing top red and black binding posts and bottom binding posts and there was a jumper from red to red and black to black and the i/c cable was being used.If the jumpers are not used would this be an application for bi-wiring or is there some other function for these jumpers.Newer speakers like Vandersteens in particular not only suggest it Richard Vandersteen himself claims it's a must do, to get the full potential of his 2ce Sigs and 3As. This bothered me because inaddition to using an expensive biwire set up he also insists on using the Anchor stands to get the tweeters to line up to your listening level.If such a genious and inventive guy why is all this other stuff needed on brand new speakers.
    Yes he did answer the phone and we spoke for a little, no I didn't grill him on these questions I didn't know of them at the time. This was when I was looking at a set of used Walnut 2ce at 1 of his Jersey sellers and he knows by name all his distributors.

A lot of guys on the forum can give you much more technical information, but for now, I can say that the jumpers are necessary if you do not bi-wire or bi-amp your speakers. The upper posts serve the upper frequency network and the lower posts serve the lower frequency network. If you do not connect the jumpers and your speaker cables are not connected to both sets of posts, you won't get signal to one network or the other.
    Family Room
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player, King Cobra XLRs
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Moose has it down.....seriously though LW, jumpers are on most any speaker these days. You remove them if you want to bi-wire/bi-amp, or leave them in place for single speaker wire. Or change them out for better, but the principle is as Moose explained.

That's fine, and yes these days you see jumpers on even fairly small bookenders besides all kinds of brands .I was right but these were on an earlier design so I didn't think that seperateing the highs and lows were done back then.I can't imagine how w/ a good bi-wire and using the i/c cable how those speakers would sound.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The bi-wire isn't as relevant as the I/c cable on SDA's. Don't fret over bi-wiring, fret over getting the I/c cable.

Tony, I'n not frtetting over anything . My 2bs can't be bi wired and i wouldn't do anyway and I have the cable.I was just asking about those particular speaker cups on someone else's speakers.

Thread Information