2. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Length at 14 AWG

2 100.00%
  • 2 Lengths at 11 AWG

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Quick wiring question

I just picked up some new wire. Its liberty extra flex+ 14/4 colors are red whiet black and green. Now I have about 8 feet to run to the fronts and also using an 8 foot length for the center. I am bi-amping the front channels, so my question is this. Should I just run one length staying at 14awg to the front channels using the red/black for the hf posts and using white/green for the lf posts on the speaker, or tie the red/white for positive and the black/green for negative turning it into 11awg and run 2 lengths.

Should be noted i am already doing this for the center since it only has 2 posts anywways.

Do you think there will be an audible diference?

my setup is as follows.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V667
    Front: Polk LS90
    Center: Polk CS350-LS
    Rear: Polk M3II
    Last edited by RR09SS; 11-03-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The problem is you are not bi-amping squat with an AVR since all the channels share the same power supply and you are still using the internal passive crossovers. Add to that the fact that the more channels you use with your AVR the less power per channel it will provide.

You'll get better results using a single high quality speaker cable run per speaker AND replacing the stock plate jumpers with the same high quality speaker cable of which Liberty isn't.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

First of all, thanks for the reply. I did alot more reading, especially on the passive bi-amping that an AVR does. So what I ended up doing was removing the extra lengths I had run to the left and right. Essentially turned the 14/4 cable to 11/2 and used some of the extra cable to make jumpers since I didnt get the stock jumpers with the speakers.

What cable would you recommend that won't break the bank?
    Last edited by RR09SS; 11-04-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Signal cable is good, and they will give you a small discount if you tell them your a member here. Douglas connections, also a good option, and he's a member here. I wouldn't consider anything less for budget options.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm I've used the BJC Ten White (5T00UP) (White jacket, 10 AWG) and think its very good for the money. Very hard to work with though as the cable is thick. The 12ga would be more than enough for your lengths and is a bit cheaper.

http://douglasconnection.com/Custom-...s-DCF124BW.htm I'll have a pair of these soon. I've heard great things about them.

What are your thoughts on Kimber Kable. Specifically the 4pr. i can get 30ft of it from an acquaintance for $45

Quote Originally Posted by RR09SS View Post
    What are your thoughts on Kimber Kable. Specifically the 4pr. i can get 30ft of it from an acquaintance for $45
    Heck of a lot better than what your using, go snatch it up for that price.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Heck of a lot better than what your using, go snatch it up for that price.
    Go get it!

Got it, and WOW... I did an A to B comparison and I just cant believe what it did to my system. the difference in clarity was crazy. I had the left channel hooked up with the kimber kable, and the right still with the liberty. I had to nearly stand in front of the right channel for the audio to be balanced, and could still hear the crisper more detailed highs in the left channel over the right. This sucks, as now I want even better cable to see what these speakers are still hiding...

Well, you just discovered for yourself that cables do make a difference. Now you need to discover what a separate amp will do for your speakers. Don't worry about upgrading the cables until you upgrade the speakers further. Concentrate on getting more power to them. This audio hobby can suck you dry if you let it.

Indeed. Sold my Energy C7's and ef-500's to my brother, selling my RT16's to my other brother. still have a set of sony tower speakers, and a csi a4 to sell of too lol. Sadly my second cs350-ls has a blown tweeter, but ill keep it for parts or replace the tweet for a backup center just in case.. gotta make money back to pay for the hobby.... The only down side is its taking me away from my other hobby. pc gaming... I find myself watching more movies and listening to more music now.

Thread Information