Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Need cable to attach iPad to pre-amp

I plan on buying the new iPad mini when it is released this month. Then I plan on using my current iPad Retina as a source to my pre-amp. This means I will use Apple Radio to discover new music to buy. Since Apple Radio streams lossy music, and I doubt the iPad DAC is the greatest in the world, I want to make sure I do not do any more damage to the music by hooking it up with a cheapo cable.

My question is what is a good cable to connect the iPad to the pre? I will be plugging the USB power into my Triton.

Lightening or 30 pin dock ? to be honest and this is a true statement of fact, I've seen some "high end" iPod/iPad cables that either don't allow charging to happen like it should, or simply can't hack the data coming out of the port. Only cables I've had any success with in the truck connected to my deck with any accuracy and just plain worked, was the stock Apple cables...as stupid as it sounds.

As far as analog hook up, find a simple adapter, it'll plug into the headphone jack and go quick to a pair of RCA jacks, I've got a few, then use nice RCA interconnects, however this comes with a caveat, use very flexible light cables, a think stiff interconnect will place stress on the headphone jack if the angle is just right. Just sayin is all.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 11-10-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    As far as analog hook up, find a simple adapter, it'll plug into the headphone jack and go quick to a pair of RCA jacks, I've got a few, then use nice RCA interconnects, however this comes with a caveat, use very flexible light cables, a think stiff interconnect will place stress on the headphone jack if the angle is just right. Just sayin is all.
    Yes. Sorry for not being specific in my post. If I have this correct then the iPad will sit horizontally with the headphone jack on the left bottom, the power port in the right middle, and you are saying get a headphone to RCA adapter. Then get a pair of analog cables, but be careful because the iPad headphone port easily breaks from to much cable stress.

Thanks. That will make using better cables a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Yes. Sorry for not being specific in my post. If I have this correct then the iPad will sit horizontally with the headphone jack on the left bottom, the power port in the right middle, and you are saying get a headphone to RCA adapter. Then get a pair of analog cables, but be careful because the iPad headphone port easily breaks from to much cable stress.

Thanks. That will make using better cables a bit easier.
    Yeah, just be careful, or 1. The adapter can break (only so much stress a 1/8th inch plug can take) or 2. the jack could break if stressed too much (not a cheap repair)

But if it's just laying on it's back, you'll be alright. Personally, I'd use an iPod Touch but that's just me...then again, that's precisely what I use on my 3490...and that came with a half decent analog cable that I use, sounds great, get the power to keep the iPod juiced from the Mac Mini in the set up, works like a charm, but I mostly do use the analog out on the Mini fed to the 3490, control the music from my iPhone using an app...from Apple no less.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 11-10-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I bought one of these a few weeks ago to connect an old phone that I'm using as a squeezebox player to my pre-amp, and have been very happy with it. It's a definite improvement over the cheapo cable I first used.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703EGMR...d%7cAudioQuest
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Use an Apple TV unit and stream it wirelessly, no need to worry about cables
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    I bought one of these a few weeks ago to connect an old phone that I'm using as a squeezebox player to my pre-amp, and have been very happy with it. It's a definite improvement over the cheapo cable I first used.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703EGMR...d%7cAudioQuest
    This is what I had in mind. Simple and inexpensive, but still with a bit of quality. I don't want to spend much money of this since it will be used to find new music to buy, not any type of listening for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I don't want to spend much money of this since it will be used to find new music to buy, not any type of listening for fun.
    Of course not. We all know listening to music through an iPad is nothing but torture!
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Of course not. We all know listening to music through an iPad is nothing but torture!
    LOL. That is what I am afraid of. I will end up liking this, and then spend tons of money buying an 'audiophile' Internet radio, and cables to run it. All to listen to lossy music.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Go on EBay and buy one of the Zu Mission Cables designed just for this use.
    pre VAC Standard LE, power VAC PA100/100 phi upgrade, analog Origin Live Aurora Mk2, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c, Benz Ebony H, digital Lector 0.6t, speakers Thiel CS2.4, Rel Strata III, cables Audience AU24 e IC, Audience AU24 e SC, power Audience aR1p, Audience aR2p, Audience PowerCord e

Quote Originally Posted by zane77 View Post
    Use an Apple TV unit and stream it wirelessly, no need to worry about cables
    I use the Apple TV all the time on the upstairs rig, works like a charm.

But for what you intend to do I sure any decent cable designed for that application would be just fine.

Cheers
    Roger

Thread Information