Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Default Need input on rear speakers - on wall

Right now I've got a pair of R15 bookies on stands for the rear, but would like to ditch the stands to free up the floor space back there. I'd like to go with an on-wall option, but want something low profile so the likes of an LSiFX aren't an option.

I've been looking at the OWM5 from Polk and think that's the general direction I want to go, as it looks like a fairly thin speaker and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I want sound back there for effect, but am not too concerned with it being timbre matched to my fronts or anything like that. To get the best match I'd ideally go with the Magnepan on-wall, but that's overkill for my room and what I really want.

So I have a couple questions:

First off, are there any obvious choices similar to the OWM5 that I'm overlooking?

Secondly, do I have any decent options for running speaker cable up the wall to them? I don't really want to run cable up inside the wall, but if there's an easy way to do that without drilling big holes in the wall I'll consider it but I can't think of how that would work. I also don't want bare speaker wire hanging down from the speakers (in fact that's absolutely not an option). So I'm looking for creative ideas on how to hang these on the wall without the wires looking tacky.

Anyway, just looking for other ideas...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

What about the blackstones? Can those be wall mounted?

Regarding cables, I would just run it outside and get some cable hiders (forget exactly what they are called)

See my pic as I used them for my wires for the LSi F/X's

Look at the doorframe in this picture:

Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

The blackstones sound great, but are not thin enough for what I want, I'm looking for the thinnest option possible.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    The blackstones sound great, but are not thin enough for what I want, I'm looking for the thinnest option possible.
    In ceiling? Otherwise the OMW 5's are probably your best bet unless you can find some of the VM floating around. Have you thought about Polks wireless speakers (forget model number)?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Yeah I think the OWM5 and some sort of thing to hide the cable is my best bet...

I think that if you could find one more of these you would get a step up in SQ with just a little deeper profile: http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLKAUDIO-RM...item33877401c6. They pop on fleabay pretty regularly.

I am assuming no attic in the condo? I love my stealth in-ceiling setup, it sounds good looks really clean and really isn't hard to do.

You can use some beaded metal chain to run the speaker wire in the wall just a small hole where it will come out and hang the chain so you can mark a spot where you want the speaker cable to come out. Drop the chain down the upper hole and hook it out of the bottom hole then attach the speaker wire to the chain and pull it up to the hole where the speaker is. Small holes and hidden wire the way to go.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Thread Information