Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Should I go 6.1 or 7.1?

So I finally convinced board member Mystery to sell me one of his 100 pairs of speakers, a pair of Peerless Monitor 4's. I am now timbre matched all the way around with the same tweeter. Now I have these two extra Monitor 4's here, with the triangle plastic covered tweeters (SL1500?) and am wondering if I should go 6.1 or 7.1 with them or if I should leave them out of the equation. I am in a studio apartment and the way everything is arranged is the major deterrent. Here are some pics to give you guys an idea of what I'm working with.

If I go 6.1 I could put one of the Monitor 4's ontop of the fridge. Not sure if that is going to be too high and cause any issues. If I go 7.1 I'd have to find 2 more stands but could slide them in and out of place when needed.

On the other hand not much stuff is encoded any higher than 5.1 and it sounds good the way it is.

What would you guys do?
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Dude do you want to be tripping on speakers? LOL. I think with that small a space and pretty good size speaks 5.1 is probably great. I am running 6.1(2), but that is because most are in-ceiling and the rear center really helps fill in the gap. Plus my room is probably as big as your apartment lol. I mean of course the best answer is try it and see, but in that size room it doesn't really seem like an advantage...
    HT Rig:
    Mains, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling
    Center - Polk cs400i
    Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling
    Sub - SVS PB10-ISD
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1018ah-k
    Server - Logitech Squeezebox Duet
    Blu-ray - Sony BDP-S390
    DVR - DirecTV Genie + AM21
    Display - Samsung PN43E450 Plasma

Two Channel PC Rig (In progress)
    Dell Studio 540s-->Pangea USB Cable-->HRT Music Streamer II DAC-->MIT AVT1-->Dayton DTA 100a-->MIT EXP2-->Polk Monitor 5 w/Peerless

Without pulling a tape, and I'm sure to be off here, but I'd estimate the room is 20 feet wide and 15 feet front to back, from seating position.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would leave it alone, looks like you everything pretty crammed in there. Why are those surrounds practically on top of the couch ? Way too close man.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Why are those surrounds practically on top of the couch ? Way too close man.
    I can move them a few inches back but not much more before they'd be in the way, how far away should they be?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

A good 3 ft if not more. You'll blast your ear drums out like that. lol. Seriously, when they are too close to your ear, you don't get that all encompassing surround sound, it becomes too localized when that close.

I just checked out the Dolby website and it shows them being about equidistant from seating position as the front speakers. This is not going to be possible for me. The best I could do, I think, is lower them a few db in the AVR setup.

Nightfall, is it possible to mount 2 pairs, back to back, in a dipole setup for 5.1? I know it's a rental, and mounting anything on the walls is questionable, but those surrounds are way too close to the seating area.
    BTW, nice doggie.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

My first half way decent HT set up was in a 16 wide + 24 length living room & 5/1 worked quite well. But then again that area looks open i see. But you probably dont sit in kitchen watching movies often. I know i couldnt have those that close to my ears without fitigue. Lowering the rears too much may take away some of the effects you may want to be hearing in Ht. Placement problems lots of us have too.
    Last edited by boston1450; 11-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    RANDY
    ~SDA2b Adcom gfa555 565pre 555t 600cd Pioneer PLa35d
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer
    ~Marantz 2252b 5025b 6300tt Tech-a4010s monitor 7b
    ~Yamaha cr2040 Advent2 Monitor 10a
    ~Rotel RV555 monitor 4 series 2 -office-
    ~Pioneer seQ404 headphones

Our house now has small living room. Rears are2.5ft from couch. I have same problem now with our couch-so when our daughter moves on(or sooner)OUT goes the couch & in comes his / her recliners. Im going to be Archy Bunker yet
    RANDY
    ~SDA2b Adcom gfa555 565pre 555t 600cd Pioneer PLa35d
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer
    ~Marantz 2252b 5025b 6300tt Tech-a4010s monitor 7b
    ~Yamaha cr2040 Advent2 Monitor 10a
    ~Rotel RV555 monitor 4 series 2 -office-
    ~Pioneer seQ404 headphones

Just keep it at 5.1.

I have a room that is 14x25 and its setup perfectly for 7.1, but I haven't gone 7.1.

A proper 5.1 setup will sound better than a poorly executed 6.1 or 7.1 setup.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

5.1 is the max you would need for that space. the only reason 6.1 and 7.1 exist is for larger and larger rooms to fill in the gaps where there may be a dead spot.

Thread Information