Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default Man Of Steel on Blu ray

Whats up everyone?
    I picked it up today and just got done watching it.
    I saw this in the theater and I enjoyed it. On Blu Ray it's pretty awesome.The sound quality is top notch. Nothing shy of a reference demo disc. Video quality is clean and clear, another top notch job well done.

As far as the movie goes, I was glad to see it again as I pick up a few things I missed. I like it more now. I gotta say this is a very well done movie from beginning to end. The first time around I didn't care for the Style of story telling constantly jumping around in time, flash backs etc. But Now that I watched it a second time, I can see how this makes a lot of sense. I still feel they could have easily made 2 movies out of this one but It's not as rushed as I once thought.

If you haven't seen it, it's time to.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I haven't gotten the BR yet, but will, but I did enjoy it a lot more in the theater than I expected to. The last Superman movie left a "bad taste in my mouth", but this was much, much better. Looking forward to seeing how they handle the expected Justice League movie in the future.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS400 center

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Just finished watching the Blu Ray as well. I liked it alot more at home on Blu Ray than in the theater. The movie seemed to flow much better this go round. PQ and SQ are top notch.

Big thumbs up for Man of Steel! Can't wait for Superman vs Batman.
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

Great movie. Killer soundtrack that will push your HT to it's limits. I especially liked the flying sequences. It actually looks like a person would look if we could fly, breaking the sound barrier, the pressure waves etc.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Did any of you catch the Yahoo Kevin Smith lovefeststraganza on Saturday? I think Kevin needs to get out more? Amy Adams as the "perfect" Lois Lane. Are you sure? My 16 year old thought Amy was LAME. And if the young can't see it, we are in trouble!

The new Batman costume is off the charts (in the next film)? Really, haven't comic book aficionados seen this version of the older edgier Batman in a more spiked out suit in comic books ALREADY?

That said. I did like the movie, thought is was a successful reboot. Disagree with Kev about the first 20 minutes (Dragons in Krypton? ha, ha, ha--talk about ripping off Lord of the Rings, Avatar, etc.!). And ZOD (he looked too much like Ray Liotta to me, I kept expecting to see Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci pop into the scene and start beating Superman with a baseball bat)? Man of Steel Redux?

Don't mind me, I'm just in a contrarian mood today. It will pass!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-13-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I picked this up last night, definitely a reference disc!
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I may get this one although there is much disappointment among the bassheads on AVS about how , once again, the studios have filtered the ULF. So if you have the subs with enough guts to dig deeper than 20 hz. , you're going to be disappointed as it sounds like the bass extension only goes down to 25-30 hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    I may get this one although there is much disappointment among the bassheads on AVS about how , once again, the studios have filtered the ULF. So if you have the subs with enough guts to dig deeper than 20 hz. , you're going to be disappointed as it sounds like the bass extension only goes down to 25-30 hz.
    Links? Has anyone done frequency sweeps?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    Well considering how long a 20hz signal takes to complete, anyone actually have a room that supports 20hz? You are going to need 55.7 feet.
    Last edited by mantis; 11-14-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by rooftop59 View Post
    Links? Has anyone done frequency sweeps?
    Hey Paul, I don't have the links, but look in the Subwoofers,Bass, and Transducers section with thread name The New Master List Of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts. Check out page 399, there's a few members writing about MOS now. I'm sure there will be a number of charts,sweeps etc . on the thread within a couple of days.
    Last edited by Polkie2009; 11-14-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I doubt they're limiting it just for the hell of it, so what's the trade-off?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I doubt they're limiting it just for the hell of it, so what's the trade-off?
    +1 Excellent question sir, there have been a number of big blockbuster movies the past 5 yrs. or so that you'd expect to have tons_ of ULF and have been filtered out. Fortunately, some_ movies do _ have the ULF left in them for folks with substantial subs that can dig deeper than 20 hz. can appreciate that lower extension of the bass. :) AVS has a 5 star rating for those movies with the best deep bass and go to 4.5stars, 4 stars, 3.5 stars etc... for movies with less deep bass. I knw, I know, we are bassheads,lol.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Well considering how long a 20hz signal takes to complete, anyone actually have a room that supports 20hz? You are going to need 55.7 feet.
    Seems to me Dan has a point here? Just how do you generate a TRUE 20hz or below tone in a "smaller" room where it has no space to "propagate"? And imagine the power and the woofer necessary to hit that low. Now, many manufacturers claim they can hit that but at what sound level. It is very very difficult to get an 85db or higher level at the bottom frequencies--you have to move a LOT of air, need some huge cabinet space, fantastic excursion and 1000s of watts of power as well as the SPACE in which to make all of that happen.

There may be a select "few" here who have ALL of those variables, but not many. I certainly don't.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Yes, its true that low bass wavelengths are LONG! However, in a car low bass can be amazing! Ever sit in an awesome aftermarket system with low bass that will shakes your organs playing some of the old Techmaster P.E.B. or the 1812 Orchestra, etc? Or have you ever heard low bass from headphones? Don't forget about standing waves cause by the small room....this supports low bass freqs.

However, it takes a serious sub system to get down and dirty at volume from 30Hz and below. When you read test data like this article here: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=80 you understand why low bass content is filted out...MOST off the shelf sub systems can't really deal with it in say a 4200 sq ft room.

Still, info like this: http://www.data-bass.com/systems from the Data-Bass site shows that one does not have spend a ton of cash to get some decent low bass numbers in this day and age. A DIY type could put this together:

Stereo Integrity HT18" D2, Dayton Audio 500 watt amp, DIY Sound Group 4 cu ft flat pack, Behringer DEQ2496 + EMC8000 mic, M Audio MobilePre USB interface, REW - Room EQ Wizard software, PC, plus other materials.

For about $1100-$1200 and place the sub in the corner close to the listening position one can have a very capable sub and correction system. It would cost at least $2000+ to buy something from most manufactures that could come close to it.

However, trying to get 105dB+ really low sub bass at the listening position is a huge challenge!
    Last edited by WLDock; 11-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Just watched it... very awesome audio track.. First real test of my ht reconfig since I added second dsw mp3k sub and I was rocked...
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's LSi 7's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS3 Directv Genie HD DVR Sony 55" 3D LED LCD

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's VR3 LSi 9's Audioquest Rocket 33's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre Solid Silver IC's, Pangea PC's

Visuallly, it's a very well done movie; everything else is meh.

Thread Information