Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Exile On Main Street arrived a little bit ago. It is currently being extracted to the hard drive, and then ripped to the music server. It will be fun comparing it to the SHM SACD later tonight.
    I would love to hear your thoughts as well BF, on the BD-A and see how it compares to your SHM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I say you run the BR disc threw the player instead of burning it for comparisons. I think the BR audio has some legs to it, more so than the other formats.
    The SACD player is a Sony XA-5400ES. It does have an HDMI output if you have a pre that accepts HDMI and can decode DSD, or a DAC with the same features, but in my two channel system I have neither. So, for the comparison I switch between input 1 (music server) and input 2 (SACD).

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
    I would love to hear your thoughts as well BF, on the BD-A and see how it compares to your SHM.
    First observation is the ripped BR is slightly louder than the SACD. Most likely, the balanced output of the DAC is slightly higher than the balanced output of the Sony. Incidentally, both players are connected to the pre (Pass Labs XP-20) via balanced Shunyata Zitron Anaconda ICs.

Anyway, after adjusting the volume, both sound great. An open, spacious sound that is not fatiguing at higher volumes. However, after switching back and forth, I have to give the nod to the BR Audio. The music seems to have a deeper soundstage with a quieter background, and is more precise. A note starts at some point in space, and stops at another point. The edges are more pronounced, or better defined.

This very well might be due to using Shunyata Zitron Alpha power cords on the file player and DAC. These power cords remove digital noise generated by digital devices and reflected back onto the power lines. The Sony is using a Zitron Cobra, which the Alpha is based on. Also, the Bryston BDA2 DAC is better than the DAC in the Sony. Before, when I was using the Bryston BDA1 DAC, I felt the two players were, by and large, equal in sonics. However, the BDA2 is clearly a better DAC.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either format. I personally prefer the power, versatility, and convenience of the music server over the single disk SACD player.

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks. I only have the one BD that is pure audio so far, and I find myself playing it a LOT. The bottom end is SO good, it makes my DSW550 and 660 subs sound very musical, and listening to it for extended intervals is not tiring in the least. Of course I haven't heard Breakfast In America on SACD, so hard to compare. The Oppo is my delivery system for both. Given that the recordings are created equal for both formats (from the same masters, etc) would you say they are that close that it could come down to price point? I really enjoy my SACDs but if this format takes off even a little bit I could envision myself partaking frequently...

Price wise, the SHM SACD cost me $50, while the BR Audio cost $30. So, that is in its favor. Sound wise, it is a toss-up, at least for me, with a slight preference for the BR. However, the lack of copy protection on the BR is a big plus. Being able to put these high-res files on a music server is a tremendous benefit.

Nirvana's In Utero arrived yesterday. I am really liking this BR Audio idea. Hopefully, the trickle of titles will turn into a flood. Even better, let's hope we start getting new releases recorded and mastered right from the start as high-res audio.

Nirvana's In Utero arrived yesterday. I am really liking this BR Audio idea. Hopefully, the trickle of titles will turn into a flood. Even better, let's hope we start getting new releases recorded and mastered right from the start as high-res audio.
    Would be nice. So is the transfer a good one?

Don't know. Haven't listened to it yet. Maybe Friday, or Saturday at the latest, I will rip it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That's the key. If people would just start recording and mastering in at least 24/96 onto blu ray, we'd get some really great sounding new releases. I would also like to see dacs with an hdmi input. So far I've only seen one, the Essence HDACC, which includes an hdmi input with blu ray in mind.

NAD also makes a DAC with an HDMI input. At one point I considered buying one, and adding a BR player to my two channel system.

Looks like they're making a move in this segment. The NAD C 390DD is an integrated amp (2 channel) with a dac that includes hdmi input/output.

No onboard support for DSD? Maybe a future $299 DSD MDC? BUT, you'd have to give up a phono or HDMI MDC slot? Just when Steely Dan's Gaucho DSD is available?

"we place all digital interface circuitry on easily upgradable modules. We call this Modular Design Construction or MDC. The C 390DD comes standard with one module, the DD USB 1 for USB interface, and open slots for two more modules."

http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...-DAC-Amplifier

C 390DD Audio Resolution chart.
    USB Type A - 24 bit/48 kHz
    USB Type B - 24 bit/96 kHz
    Optical - 24 bit/192 kHz
    Digital Coax - 24 bit/192 kHz

NAD C 390D $2,599.99

Optional analog/phono input module $299.99
    Optional HDMI DD HDMI-1 - 24 bit/192 kHz $299.99

Not to side-track the thread, but DSD downloads are starting to catch on. On other forums there are discussions whether a single DAC can do both PCM and DSD well, or if two specialized DACs are needed. Of course, there are also other discussions going on as to whether or not DSD files are audibly better than high-res PCM files, or if the DAC is the source of any sonic difference.

Not to side-track the thread, but DSD downloads are starting to catch on. On other forums there are discussions whether a single DAC can do both PCM and DSD well, or if two specialized DACs are needed. Of course, there are also other discussions going on as to whether or not DSD files are audibly better than high-res PCM files, or if the DAC is the source of any sonic difference.
    One thing you can't take away from audiophiles is their ability to argue over the most minute differences in sound, graphs, measured tests, and to hype the next thing as the second coming of Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    One thing you can't take away from audiophiles is their ability to argue over the most minute differences in sound, graphs, measured tests, and to hype the next thing as the second coming of Christ.
    LOL. That's the truth, and many times it is just splitting hairs.

Sometimes I think we lose our focus....just enjoy the damn music. I'm all for chasing SQ, but at some point you just have to sit back and enjoy. Once you start chasing every minute detail, it no longer becomes enjoyable and turns into obsession.

I am not to happy with this purchase. I guess it sounds okay, but I forgot how much I disliked this album when it first came out. To me, there is only one good song on it. Oh well, win some, lose sum.

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    Cool, thanks for posting Charlie

Looking forward to Lamb & Selling England.

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    Looking forward to Lamb & Selling England.
    I'd like Selling England By The Pound as well. I have We Can't Dance on SACD and Genesis (Mama) on DVD-A, looking forward to having one of theirs on BD-A.

Thumbs up Big Band Bossa Nova---Approved!

Name:  Bossa Nova.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  20.3 KB

i received this today from amazon. i have been wanting to try this new line of Pure Audio Blu-ray Audio series of disc and what better way then to do it big band Q style!

first, gear run down. i have an Oppo 105 connected via Audioquest RCA interconnects from the dedicated 2 channel analog output to an Emotiva UPA-200 amp with a pair of Vintage Polk SDA-2 speakers (soon to have their crossovers fully upgraded) connected via a pair of BJC #10awg ultrasonically welded banana plug speaker cables.

i took the disc out of the case, put it into the 105 and it played PCM 96/24 automatically which was a nice surprise. i don't yet have a monitor for my 2 channel rig (just got the 105 for myself as a Christmas gift) so this disc design was very much welcome.

i want to start of by saying that the first track began and two things happened right away, 1st, i got up and started dancing a foxtrot, 2nd, i started having Austin Powers flashbacks! the first track titled Soul Bossa Nova by Quincy Jones, was as most of you know used and revitalized by and in the opening sequence to the first Austin Powers movie soundtrack.

right away, i could immediately feel the large soundstage drop in front of me and damn near on top of me! it plays at a beautiful level, the seperation of left and right are precise and the phantom center is well done too. this is big band music played big. the instuments are very, very well defined. the low end on some of these tracks is very well, never overdone, but when it's done, you know it, you feel it and i mean FEEL IT! every string, woodwind, percussion, cymbal, cowbell bongo, you name it, you can pick it out and know exactly where the artists were standing on the stage when performing it.

this is quite possibly the best thing i have heard on my 105 thus far. i own a lot of SACD's, DVD-a's, FLAC up to 192/24 & DSD downloads, but this, given it's age, the content is incredibly fresh and invigorating to the soul. it's hard pressed for you not to hear an odd noise and stop the music and realize it's your foot tapping like crazy to the beat!

you can feel the fun that Q had with this, all the artists were onboard with his vision. the content has incredibly large dynamic range by my ears. it is always moving with little or no rest. get your honey and prepare to get your booty moving to this music from a bygone era.

if you love big band music, if you love bossa nova music then your musical dreams have been realized on this disc. it's quick, it hits you like a train and you will be glad you were on the tracks!

while i am away that not all the released Pure Audio discs are good, some have not been very well received (which is too bad) but i can tell you that this one is something special. i wish all of them could be as good as this one is. dim the lights, get that glass of wine or some good sippin whiskey ready and get ready to be taken away for a while.

Uncle Solarrdadd Approved!
    Last edited by solarrdadd; 12-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P Rear Projection
    PS3 & XBOX 360, iPhone 5 & iPad 4 @ 64gb, appletv hdmi,
    Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A35, Oppo 105 & 93 blu-ray
    APC UPS w/AVR & APC Surge Suppressor
    Onkyo 5507 pre-amp, 525 receiver Harmony One
    Vintage Polk Audio SDA-2 speakers, Axiom speakers, Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2,
    UPA-200 amps XREF 12 DSP Sub, Ultra Sub 12
    NY GIANTS!

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered it, and Celebration Day, from Amazon. I was just watching the BR Celebration Day while testing my new HT rack, and it sounded even better than the first time I watched it. It will be good to add to the music server.

Yeah, thanks for your thoughts on that one SD, good to know. I've got this BD-A coming next week:
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Loud & Clear View Post
    That's the key. If people would just start recording and mastering in at least 24/96 onto blu ray, we'd get some really great sounding new releases. I would also like to see dacs with an hdmi input. So far I've only seen one, the Essence HDACC, which includes an hdmi input with blu ray in mind.
    Oppo 105.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I received the BR Audio of Celebration Day, and just ripped it to the music server. It is playing now, and sounding great.

Is that an audio only blu-ray? I have Celebration on blu-ray, but it's the concert + CDs. My "Sixteen Sunsets" BD-A and the America SACD I ordered were in town and both were "out for delivery" by UPS on Friday...until we had another snow storm, now back to being listed as 'in transit", lol. Monday.

Yes, audio only. This concert has to set the record for being on the most formats. I'm surprised it isn't on cassette.

I tried to rip the audio of the BR video, but that didn't work. When I saw it was also on BR Audio I ordered it.

I forgot I owned this, and 'found' it last night with my BR concerts. Just ripped it to the music server, and it sounds GREAT. Even the regular CD is an excellent recording.

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool

Hey BlueFox I just got the BR Celebration day also and have been really enjoying it! WTG Jason! It was just so cool to see him up there :)

Jane Ira Bloom's "Sixteen Sunsets" was a nice find if you like a little modern jazz on soprano sax. Preordered "Imagine" today, due out in 1 1/2 weeks.
    Attached Images

Thread Information