Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SE Tube Amps

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default SE Tube Amps

Has anyone run SDAs on low watt tube amps? I just got a 6-8 watt Sylvania up and running and was thinking about trying it on my SDA-1Bs.
    Denon PMA-900V
    Linn Axis with Grado Red
    Denon DVD-2500
    Polk SDA-1BTL

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I haven't, but if you already have one, why not try it!

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Give it a whirl, but I wouldn't get your hopes too high unless you listen at low levels.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

I've used my Fisher 500c to power my 2b's. I think it's 35 wpc though. I thought it sounded pretty nice.

I've tried my 27 watt set monos with several speakers now. My experiences suggest that it takes a special coffin speaker to pair well with them. The Ushers pair perfectly, but many nice speakers have proven they were too much for the amps. Hope it works out for you, but the odds are against it.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by bigaltx24 View Post
    Has anyone run SDAs on low watt tube amps? I just got a 6-8 watt Sylvania up and running and was thinking about trying it on my SDA-1Bs.
    3--4 ohm compatible, and common-ground?

Ive tried my Dynaco ST-70 (35wpc) hooked up to my SDA SRS-2 with excellent results.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Quote Originally Posted by bored184 View Post
    Ive tried my Dynaco ST-70 (35wpc) hooked up to my SDA SRS-2 with excellent results.
    That dynaco isn't a low powered set though.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    That dynaco isn't a low powered set though.
    Check.
    Low powered? No
    Single ended? No
    Triode (outputs)? No

;-)

Based on what I've heard/read about the SDA loudspeakers, I cannot imagine any affordable and safe to use in a normal home (!) SET amplifier would drive 'em very effectively. Yes, it is possible to get 20 watts - or even more - from a single-ended triode output tube amplifier - but the B+ (plate voltage) required would be frighteningly high; the cost of an output transformer that could handle the DC would be fantastically expensive, and all components (wire, resistors, capacitors) would have to be rated for a plate voltage on the order of kilovolts (most hookup wire has 600V insulation, e.g.)... the amplifier would be dangerous and/or, at least, breathtakingly expensive.

Yeah, they do exist, though... take a look at the ElectronLuv amplifiers, e.g. :-)

EDIT: So what is the Sylvania amp? If it really puts out 6 to 8 watts single-ended, it's not running its outputs in triode mode... is it?
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 11-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Default SET Amp

I have a Yaqin ms 300c SET (integrated) amp and have used it to drive a pair of SDA 1C's . Sounded pretty decent for 9.5 watts.
    I usually listen at moderate levels and could have been alright leaving that amp in the SDA rig.

You should give it a shot and let us know us what you think
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

I pulled the amp out of a late 50's Sylvania console. It's a single ended pentode amp using two 6BQ5 outputs, so it's probably about 6-8 watts per. I've run some Paradigms with them that were 90db sensitivity, and got them louder than I normally listen. The thing sounds great and am curious as to how it will sound on my 1Bs.
    Denon PMA-900V
    Linn Axis with Grado Red
    Denon DVD-2500
    Polk SDA-1BTL

Sensitivity is great, but my 87 db 6311s outperform the 87 db totem forest and 90 db Usher 777 on the same amps. That as what I was referring to as special - the 6311 shouldn't be this impressive on low power, but it's fricking awesome. There is just something about that speaker that makes it shine where others would fall flat on their face.

Agree completely, synergy between speakers and amp is always hit and miss. I have a pair of Coral BX-1001 that I picked up at an estate sale a few months ago, they were $10 and looked nice so I bought them. I've run them on four different amps and was never impressed with their sound. When i was finally ready to fire up the tube amp I grabbed the Corals thinking if I blow 'em up, no big loss. To my surprise they sounded great on the tube amp. I've tried Paradigm Atom 1s, Bozak Sonoras, and Altec Santana IIs on the tube amp and right now the Corals are my favorites.
    Denon PMA-900V
    Linn Axis with Grado Red
    Denon DVD-2500
    Polk SDA-1BTL

The SDA 1B are around 92db 1watt per meter and you lose about 3db for every meter you add from how far you sit away from the speakers. But the real issue comes when a really low note comes say around 40hz or so and the speakers try and dig deepen for the power that is just not there that is where you may run into trouble. I have watch a speaker running at around 2 watts and spike into 100+ without a thought and if it is not there you will clip and the first thing that the clipping hits is your RDO-198 tweeters so be careful.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1

You won't be too happy with most SET amps on Polks, unless you get into the big boy transmitting output tubes.

I had to move my 1Bs out to the garage to make room for a Christmas tree. It gave me a chance to try them out on the tube amp. I have to say they sound fantastic with 6-8 watts. It surprised me just how loud I can get them with this little amp. I'm probably getting them to about a 85-90db sound level without pushing the amp to hard.
    Denon PMA-900V
    Linn Axis with Grado Red
    Denon DVD-2500
    Polk SDA-1BTL

Quote Originally Posted by bigaltx24 View Post
    I have to say they sound fantastic with 6-8 watts. It surprised me just how loud I can get them with this little amp
    I'm not a bit surprised. Polk speakers were advertised as "easy to drive" other than their lowish impedance. If your amps can throw some current, low-wattage shouldn't be an issue except for dynamic peaks; and that will be source-dependent.

Thread Information