Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Default Polk Audio LSiM703 Crossover Modification Thread

Now THIS is going to be a challenge!

I am shooting for a complete replacement mod, inductors and wiring on a simple drop in replacement! Mark...get set... go!
    Attached Images
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Here is the game plan...

"Fortress Plus"

Tweeter Network -
    Clarity Cap ESA
    Mundorf Mox Resistors
    Jantzen air core Inductors
    Supra 15 Awg Wiring, gold disconnects

Midrange Network -
    Clarity Cap ESA
    Bennic Electro bypassed by Clarity Cap ESA
    Mundorf Mox Resistors
    Jantzen Air Core Inductors

Woofer Network -
    Bennic Electro bypassed by Clarity Cap ESA
    Mundorf Mox Resistor
    Jantzen Inductors

Additional Features -
    Larger rod for taller stack
    Delrin substrate, point to point wiring
    Stock terminal plates and binding post

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of room, but I know you will knock this out of the park.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Thank you for the vote of confidence! :)

It will fit, one way or another!! :-D

You can do it!
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

I'd like to be first in line to offer a listening comparison vs my stock pair of 703's. Buy you dinner, give you a blanket and pillow for the couch to stay overnight if the listening nectar needs to wear off before driving....

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    I'd like to be first in line to offer a listening comparison vs my stock pair of 703's. Buy you dinner, give you a blanket and pillow for the couch to stay overnight if the listening nectar needs to wear off before driving....
    Can I come? Pretty please?

LOL, That would be up to Mike! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
    LOL, That would be up to Mike! :-D
    I would actually prefer that you get the shoot out done too while they are on the road trip.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Thanks for the pics. Was curious about the XO. Good Luck! VR3!

My schedule unfortunately would not make a road trip possible but if it is ok with Mike I can mail them TNHandyman first... That is something we can all discuss?

^ guys I was sorta kidding, not really thinking it was a possibility BUT...hell yeah!

I would actually rather drive to Charlotte and pick up vs having to ship them to me and would want to coordinate everything thru the owner- Mickey first. Details could be worked out thru PM's, but was curious as to how you are shipping them back. Are they in the original boxes or hopefully something a little sturdier to ship?

Cody if this pans out, absolutely your welcome at my place anytime. Maybe we could get Conradicles, TennMan, and a few others to come in for a day long mini fest.

Just let me know guys and the timeframe for them being ready VR3.

^ guys I was sorta kidding, not really thinking it was a possibility BUT...hell yeah!

I would actually rather drive to Charlotte and pick up vs having to ship them to me and would want to coordinate everything thru the owner- Mickey first. Details could be worked out thru PM's, but was curious as to how you are shipping them back. Are they in the original boxes or hopefully something a little sturdier to ship?

Cody if this pans out, absolutely your welcome at my place anytime. Maybe we could get Conradicles, TennMan, and a few others to come in for a day long mini fest.

Just let me know guys and the timeframe for them being ready VR3.
    Alls I want for Christmas is my VR3 LSIM's home for the holidays... So if they were to take a road trip to TN before or after that, I would not mind, I am sure we can work out the details and get some good exposure for Trey...I won't be happy until you can buy VR3 modsdirectly from polk as an option and Trey is driving a pimped out Bentley.

Name:  WP_20131212_21_42_22_Pro.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  195.3 KBTricky...

^ Wow.... you could put some Cardas Silver soder on the ends of those and go vampire hunting in Transylvania.

Name:  WP_20131213_17_59_42_Pro.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  291.6 KBLOL! They wont be that long on the final product...

Member Sales Rating: (11)

My goodness!!!... that looks nuts. Have fun with the build!

nice

It is going to be pretty nuts, I am estimating each crossover to weigh approx. 6-8 pounds. If not more.

It fits like a tight glove, had to enlarge the opening a tad to make it fit and change out the connector on the midrange unit, otherwise is a drop in replacement! Took approximately 2 minutes to install once the hole and connectors were changed.

Not the prettiest mod due to the amount of parts but it is actually laid out fairly well and all the wire runs were relatively short!
    Attached Images  

Now that thar is what is called a "stuffed tater" wow...how difficult was it to pack things that tight ?
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Hey VR3, just wondering if there was any reason to replace the air core inductors that came with the original crossover. Was there a difference even with matching mH and DCR or did you tweak any of those values?

This was the hardest Fortress mod I have ever completed.. took me four days to just figure out the stack. It had to be exactly 8.5" or it would not fit... plus I needed to keep the inductors in proper orientation...

The air cores in the network did not make much of a difference as the originals are actually pretty nice. Everything is an exact MH/DCR replacement.

There are a lot* of things in the midrange circuit that can be improved that this modification touches on and there is a critical 82uf that should be replaced with a film but it would not fit...

Overall the stock crossover is nice but it has a lot of components that can be improved...

This is definitely the hardest mod I have ever done for multiple reasons...
    Attached Images

You packed things in tighter than the farm boy in skinny jeans.
    Nice work.
    Dan

LOL

I tell ya man, this was a tough one... not as artistic as I like to be but it fits with just enough clearance to make it an easy install, hell of a lot easier than what Polk did! LOL

The bass response seems to be unaffected, I would say it actually digs deeper and is quite a bit cleaner in the lower registers. I was a bit concerned the taken up space would be a negative...

Thank you :)

Sometimes artistic and functional just don't go together.As long as things work out as planed.
    Dan

This is true...

I had a buddy over here and we were comparing the modified 703 versus my stock 705 and the 703 was substantially better in the mids and highs. So I can say with confidence this is a worthwhile modification... :)

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Wow Trey! Even on my crappy computer speakers it becomes blatantly obvious that the modified 703's leave the stock ones in the dust. The bass and especially the midrange are nice in the modified ones! Nice job Trey!!
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Thread Information