Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default new pre amp on the way

I am the proud new owner of an Eastern Electric Mini Max tube per amp. Nothing but glowing reviews. Stay tuned.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I bought the same preamp used a few months ago. Really like it so far. Tried a few different tubes which were an improvement over the stock ones.

Enjoy!
    Counterpoint SA1000 hybrid tube preamp, SUMO Andromeda amplifier, Acoustat Spectra 1100 Electrstatic hybrid speakers, HSU HRSW12-V subwoofer, NHT SA-2 Subwoofer amp, Rotel RCD-1070 CD, Thorens TD-160 TT, Mitchell Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vesigal arm TT

I already have lots and lots of tubes that I can roll. Except I need to get some 6x4 rectifiers
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Congrats buddy. Glad you found something you like!
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

I am anxious to get it in the rig. It's been on my short list. Has everything I want except remote. I can deal with that.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Congrats on the new pre. The best 6X4s I have tried are the Brimar Black Plate, Tung Sol, and Phillips Eindhoven Holland. They are a little tough to find as most of the Phillips 6X4s were made in Argentina, but if you can find one of the Eindhoven ones, they are well worth it.

Thanks Dawg, just so happens I have a source for all those, NOS too.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Awesome! Sounds like you're set. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the MiniMax. That one has been on my short list of ones to try.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Stock or modded?
    Congrats
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Stock I believe. But lookineg to do the mods at some point.

How about a 1958 G.E.C. Genlax CV4001 black plate square getter for a rectifier?

I have a single 1945 Tung Sol 12AU7 black plate w/ vertical D getter. They are very rare and very hard to find. I have been looking for an identical mate for over a year. Since the MM doesn't need both 12AU7s to be the same I can finally get my ears on this supposed superbly wonderful tube. Can't wait

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Stock I believe. But lookineg to do the mods at some point.

How about a 1958 G.E.C. Genlax CV4001 black plate square getter for a rectifier?
    Brock-- I think I still have the GEC rectifier when I had my minimax-- I'll look when I get home from work.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Congrats & enjoy the new pre!! I thought you were chasing that Rogue Magnum in the FS section. It also sounds like you've got a ton of tubes to roll in & out with that bad boy. Interested in your findings once everything has been up & running for awhile.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

The Rogue didn't work out in the end Phil. This popped up on Audio Asylum and the guy seems solid and he;s only 1 hour away. I do have a A LOT of tubes for rolling

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Brock-- I think I still have the GEC rectifier when I had my minimax-- I'll look when I get home from work.
    Cool beans, let me know.

H9

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    The Rogue didn't work out in the end Phil. This popped up on Audio Asylum and the guy seems solid and he;s only 1 hour away. I do have a A LOT of tubes for rolling
    If you end up with some 12AU7 singles that you want to part with, keep me in the loop. My Shuguang uses a single 12AU7, currently filled with an RCA clear top. Mine uses a Chinese 6Z4, but I've been thinking about having it modded to use the 6X4 instead - the only difference is the pin-out locations AFAIK.

Congrats on the new preamp! Selfishly, I'm a little sad you didn't get the Rogue. I would've been VERY curious on your impressions on that particular preamp.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Congrats on the new Pre,will it be bumping the Dared?
    Dan

That's the million dollar question!

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    If you end up with some 12AU7 singles that you want to part with, keep me in the loop. My Shuguang uses a single 12AU7, currently filled with an RCA clear top. Mine uses a Chinese 6Z4, but I've been thinking about having it modded to use the 6X4 instead - the only difference is the pin-out locations AFAIK.

Congrats on the new preamp! Selfishly, I'm a little sad you didn't get the Rogue. I would've been VERY curious on your impressions on that particular preamp.
    I will keep you in mind. At current count I have 17 pairs and few triples of different 12AU7 and equivalents. The triples are very rare tubes so I doubt I'd part with those, but it's not out of the question. Just couldn't come to terms I was satisfied with concerning the Rogue. I really wanted to try it out, but that's how it goes.

I honestly wasn't really in the market for a new tube pre, but things come along you just can't pass up. I think I got a pretty good deal on the Mini Max. If for some reason it doesn't synergize with my rig or doesn't float my boat it has great resale potential.

I am excited

H9

Enjoy your new pre.It's always fun trying out new pieces.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Nice pick up Brock.

btw- don't make us chase you down for a review either. lol

Some eye candy ;)

Name:  minimax3.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  19.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Shout out George, do you have one?

H9

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I've heard it's very good for the price; congrats!

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I like the design style too! Congrats!
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Have heard only glorious things about it. The only reason I didn't buy one last month was no remote. Enjoy!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

I bought this strictly based on all the stellar reviews, both professional and private. I was kinda, sorta looking for something new and I found this at a very good price. I really wanted remote as well, but it seemed to have everything else I was looking for so I bypassed that one criteria.

Hope it lives up to all the reviews and I should have fun rolling tubes since I have a great stash of 12AU7/5814/5963's to try. Also just purchased a couple 6X4 rectifiers. Some have suggested one needs to get out of the Chinese tube gear realm and into something made stateside to really jump up a notch, I guess it remains to be seen. Many here have no love for the Dared because it's Chinese, diminutive, inexpensive and not manly enough, but I don't worry about those things. I evaluate on how it performs.

This purchase is no exception.

H9

Brock... congrats on you new pre-
    Like mentioned b4 ....please let us know your thoughts on it. I agree with you on the Dared Sl200a, its a very very nice pre-amp based on price and performance. I thought you may have liked the Rogue also. I never heard the 66 magnum but I have the 99 magnum with 6sn7 tubes and
    to my ears....the rogue is hard to beat at a comparative price
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

Just a quick Christmas Eve update: So far I am very impressed, it's tone is seductive but at the same time very natural. It does respond very well to tube rolling and for me that's a way to fine tune it in my system. It has a much blacker background than the Dared, it is dead silent and when the music is playing it's crystal clear and one can really see "into" the recording better. There is a strong sense of focus to everything, especially vocals. My favorite word applies here "effortless". The music flows rather than being forced out of the speaker, if that makes sense. The sound stage is superb.

So far after about 20 hours of listening, my impressions are very positive and I can see why it garners all the praise it gets. Still need to spend more time with it to see if it all holds up after the newness wears off.

H9

Sounds like a winner. How was the bass?

Thread Information