Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Desktop rig toe in??

I've had my Audioengine A2's for a while now. When I set them up originally, I remember trying out a variation of setups and ended up with just a hair of toe in.

Yesterday for slips and giggles, I started messing around again and found that a toe-out actually sounds much better in my setup.

Maybe this is common/typical and I just didn't know, but I am interested if anyone else has similar experiences.

How are your speakers setup in your desktop rig?

Thanks,
    Paul
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

I have a slight toe in. I swear the sound comes from my monitor and not the speakers.
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Name:  882411_10151375769001238_318493684_o.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  72.3 KBI absolutely love the way my desktop set up sounds. I consider my placement outside the norm but I would have it no other way, huge staging (gigantic) and the subwoofer is hidden at the bottom.

M Audio BX5D2 and a KRK 10" Sub
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

We have our speakers 4ft apart toe in & it does a fantastic job - Rotel (verticle) rv555 & Monitor 4 series2

Quote Originally Posted by CCNJ View Post
    I have a slight toe in. I swear the sound comes from my monitor and not the speakers.
    I had the same thing with my slight toe. But when I toed-out, it kept the center image and really opened up the sound. Not all rigs are the same of course.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post
    I had the same thing with my slight toe. But when I toed-out, it kept the center image and really opened up the sound. Not all rigs are the same of course.
    Center image isn't too hard to get right in my experiences. Its getting the rest of it squared up the way you want that can be a pain.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
    Attachment 92599I absolutely love the way my desktop set up sounds. I consider my placement outside the norm but I would have it no other way, huge staging (gigantic) and the subwoofer is hidden at the bottom.

Dang dude, why don't you just wear a set of monster headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    Dang dude, why don't you just wear a set of monster headphones?
    lol...I was thinking the same thing.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Member Sales Rating: (58)

To not toe in, is to not tune in. Nearfield listening requires toe. I kick mine in as I would any other loudspeaker.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    To not toe in, is to not tune in. Nearfield listening requires toe. I kick mine in as I would any other loudspeaker.
    Maybe I should attempt to bump my speakers farther apart (as they are directly on each side of my 15" monitor) and then toe them in? As they sit now, the toe out seemed to improve them fairly significantly. Granted that is with only about 8 hours of listening on them.

The other issue is that I don't really have much room to bump them out.

I will continue to try different placements tomorrow.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Member Sales Rating: (58)

It is really how they sound to YOU, not the keyboard losers like me. I can only relate my nearfield listening results...your findings can certainly vary. Hell, you might have a giant head or weird ears for all I know. If it sounds good it IS good.

lol... I love it man, I crank it up to about 90db and just take it all in... crank out mods and jam to music, techno is a good work horse music!

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Lmao thread :)

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Attachment 92599I absolutely love the way my desktop set up sounds. I consider my placement outside the norm but I would have it no other way, huge staging (gigantic) and the subwoofer is hidden at the bottom. M Audio BX5D2 and a KRK 10" Sub
    You have come a loooong way. I remember when your room looked like a direct hit.

I absolutely love the way my desktop set up sounds. I consider my placement outside the norm but I would have it no other way, huge staging (gigantic) and the subwoofer is hidden at the bottom.

Ignore those other guy Trey... that is a SMOKING setup.

Why did you go with the M-Audio over say the KRK Rokit 5's or 6's? Also how does the KRK sub sound? I have HIGHLY debated snagging some KRK's at some point for my computer as they are REALLY NICE.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

To be quite honest I bought the M Audio before the KRK. I got the KRK sub at a steal...

I truly would not buy the KRK because of the stupid color of the woofers... as crazy as that sounds

To be quite honest I bought the M Audio before the KRK. I got the KRK sub at a steal...

I truly would not buy the KRK because of the stupid color of the woofers... as crazy as that sounds
    LOL. I liked their special edition that where ferarri red ....

Its the one time I think its OK to have colored woofers lol.......

And its ok, we all have our OCD's...
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Have to go with Doro on this. Although my computer rig is low-fi vintage. Two Minimus 7s powered by a Realistic STA-700 (successor to the System Seven receiver with an active equalization circuit specifically for M-7 speakers that really brings out their sound).

They sit atop two slightly larger B-shelves I use as stands and to raise the Realistics to ear level. As per standard procedure, each is aimed at the L/R ear so as to form a nice triangle and tweaked by ear from there. So some toe but not excessive. The speakers themselves are three feet apart and probably close to three feet from the seated position.

There are of course "better" configurations, amplification, etc. than this humble set up. But my God how CHEAP this is with fairly decent sound, even bass? Unless you really need to rock out.

There are, of course, other more capable speakers and amps in this room for when I want to step it UP. But for everyday stuff the old Ratshacks do fine! And I can pretend I'm back in college when I would have killed to have had this as my system, in my room! Money was always short back then.

Nostalghia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostalghia

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 12-17-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (1)

My TL3's are toed out slightly. They are sitting in back of my 22" monitor so I toe them out so the sound doesn't get totally blocked.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    LOL. I liked their special edition that where ferarri red ....

Its the one time I think its OK to have colored woofers lol.......

And its ok, we all have our OCD's...
    I am sure I could get used to it but I like the way the M Audio sound after break in. They sounded pretty terrible out of the box. The highs are still not that impressive to what I am use to but it works for me as it lets me listen more to the music versus the gear... :)

I've wanted that KRK sub to go with my KRK RP6 G2s for a long time. Where did you find the good deal on it if you don't mind me asking?
    Bedroom 2 channel: NAD C316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Polk Audio TSi100, Audioquest Bedrock & King Cobra
    HT: Onkyo HT-RC360, Athena Micra 6

Im sporting some free Bose satellite speakers/sub with a Rotel pre and Rotel 6ch amp.
    Sometimes I use Samson a5 monitors too with a Sunfire EW10 sub.
    Currently I have been favoring my Logitech G35 7.1 headphones.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

I've finally had the time to mess around with my desktop setup some more. I was able to bump them out a little more (about 24") and toe them in.

I tell you what, might not make sense, but to my ears, in my little office, with my little speakers....I enjoy the sound more with a slight toe out.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Thread Information