Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Pulled the trigger on an Oppo last night. . .

the 105. Stepping into the world of hi-rez and really looking forward to it. I plan to use it in the 2 channel system and occasionally in the HT.

Wonder how it'll compare to my present dac, a Peter Daniel NOS, on redbook? My set up now has a very sweet, clear analog sound - hope the Oppo is at least as good. If not the PD Dac may stay.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

I'm picking mine up today! I will be using it the same as you, in the two-channel and I'll plug it in in the ht when I want to. I as well am curious to see how it compares to my Moon 100d dac and Nad cd player for redbook. Keep us posted!
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded. Carver a-753x, Technics 1200mk2, Nad 515bee,Soundstage vacuum two pre
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    the 105. Stepping into the world of hi-rez and really looking forward to it. I plan to use it in the 2 channel system and occasionally in the HT.

Wonder how it'll compare to my present dac, a Peter Daniel NOS, on redbook? My set up now has a very sweet, clear analog sound - hope the Oppo is at least as good. If not the PD Dac may stay.
    I think you'll find 2 very different presentations. You'll just have to decide which one sounds better to you.

Sounds like it was finally the right "Oppo"tunity for you .

Enjoy!
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I think you'll find 2 very different presentations. You'll just have to decide which one sounds better to you.
    This^^^^ I am using the OPPO 105 in my 2ch and love it, You will find both sounding good/great, it will all come down to your taste..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

The Oppo revolution...enjoy it!
    I wish I had the funds myself as there is a used on on CL in the Chi area with a $1K asking price.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Congrats! I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get to check that box myself with everything else going on.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Congrats to both. Looking forward to your impressions due to the 105 being on my short list as well.

Thanks everyone!

Ordered it from Crutchfield since the to my door cost was $30 less, with a 2 day delivery. Since it's a Xmas present I may have to wait to get it up and running
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Agreed, my guess is the Oppo will give you a more forward sound with a bit more detail and sparkle. You'll have to decide which signature you prefer, though both will be superb at what they do.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Sounds like it was finally the right "Oppo"tunity for you .

Enjoy!
    Dan your just so full of $hit's and giggles this week....lol

Congrats>>>Review>>>Review>>>Review
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post

Good one Dan,lol!!! Congrats drummin and allstock, welcome to the Oppo family!

See thats the normal me, I just used to filter myself more than I do now. Feeling like crap tends to make you take lots of Fukitol which means that what you give lol.....

Que?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Agreed, my guess is the Oppo will give you a more forward sound with a bit more detail and sparkle. You'll have to decide which signature you prefer, though both will be superb at what they do.
    Interesting! If so, I would not like that! Will be sticking with the Jolida below, smooth, musical, and detailed "enough" without getting carried away. But if you have YOUNG ears and you like that "sparkle", go ahead!

It really IS a matter of tastes. I find a lot of >1000 dollar DACs too bright and forward for my tastes!
    I'm just a "mellow" dude.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 12-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Interesting! If so, I would not like that! Will be sticking with the Jolida below, smooth, musical, and detailed "enough" without getting carried away. But if you have YOUNG ears and you like that "sparkle", go ahead!

It really IS a matter of tastes. I find a lot of >1000 dollar DACs too bright and forward for my tastes!
    I'm just a "mellow" dude.

cnh
    It's a delicate balance to get detail and musicality. That's the reason why my Pio has stayed so long. I think I could sacrifice a bit of musicality for a big gain in detail, but we will see. My problem with every other DAC is it isn't an Oppo 105. Sad to say, but its just too damn hard to beat the package and rave reviews at that price.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

The Oppo isn't excessively bright, in fact it's not bright at all. It's just a bit more forward sounding than that Peter Daniel. It has gobs of detail without going over the top, IMO its the perfect balance between detail and musicality. If you like a really smoothed over, syrupy sound then the Oppo isn't that, it provides you with too much detail and precision. But it doesn't sound sterile or cold either. It has a great balance, that's why I like the damn thing so much.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Congratulations I hope you enjoy it. I will be ordering the 103 Darbee after the New Year. I wonder did you happen to inquire about a 105 Darbee edition? I would hate to get mine and find out they plan on coming out with the 105D a few months after my purchase. I was told by the CS rep that they possibly might consider a 105D later this year but its not likely to happen enjoy your 105 I am happy for you.

The 105 Darbe is several months out it looks like. I personally don't see the big deal with Darbee, but then I'm an audiophile not a videophile.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Sweet. I want one . My DVD-A /SACD player is very low end. Pioneer DV-610 AVk

Congrats buddy. I've been enjoying my Oppo 105 for a month now and I have only good things to say. I'm eager to get my XLR interconnects to hook it up to my BAT preamp.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

I think people confuse detail with digital edge. Music can be very detailed and musically involving. Detail good....digital edge not so much.

Congrats on the new piece.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Congratulations Fred. I hope you enjoy the 105. Haven't heard it myself, but many people seem to enjoy it. Let us know your thoughts and comparison to your current setup.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    The Oppo isn't excessively bright, in fact it's not bright at all. It's just a bit more forward sounding than that Peter Daniel. It has gobs of detail without going over the top, IMO its the perfect balance between detail and musicality. If you like a really smoothed over, syrupy sound then the Oppo isn't that, it provides you with too much detail and precision. But it doesn't sound sterile or cold either. It has a great balance, that's why I like the damn thing so much.
    More forward sounding with great detail and musicality sounds like my cup of tea. Just don't want a nasty digital glare. Your description sounds like the vast majority of reviews that I've read. The qualities I like about the Peter Daniel Dac is that it's smooth and musical, but with plenty of detail. It doesn't have a digital edge to it. It's really a tough Dac to beat, so we'll see how the 105 stacks up.

So far I'm very impressed, starting with the packaging, it just oozes quality. Right out the box I feel it surpasses my Moon Dac/Nad cd player combo in every respect with redbook. Having said that I'm only three cd's in... I don't feel it's bright at all, detailed yes but smooooooth. I'm looking forward to trying out it's video capabilities and some break-in time, which is rumoured to be long, like 200 hours.
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded. Carver a-753x, Technics 1200mk2, Nad 515bee,Soundstage vacuum two pre
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)

Dang! Mine's supposed to be delivered tomorrow - if I'm home to sign for it.

Sounds like a good day to be sick.

Oh too bad. I'm lucky, the Canadian distributor is 10 minutes from my shop, I just went and picked it up!

Audiophile lingo varies from person to person sometimes. So I must ask, what is digital edge? I'm not sure whether I heard it or not.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

I think he's using the term digital edge to describe the same thing as digital glare: a harshness in the high frequencies that brings about listener fatigue, or causes one to turn down the volume.

I think he's using the term digital edge to describe the same thing as digital glare: a harshness in the high frequencies that brings about listener fatigue, or causes one to turn down the volume.
    Ahh... got it. I usually have that problem with brighter, metal dome speakers. Ever since I moved onto tube preamps, never really had that problem :P.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Thread Information