Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default subwoofer rear port...how far from the wall??

Hey all. Im rearranging the furniture in my living room( the other half is wanting a different look). As a result, the HT speaker setup is changing positions. My sub will be placed near a corner boundary....I'd say about a foot and a half from the side wall and about 4 inches from the back wall. My question is since my sub is rear ported, is that enough room for the port to breathe?? Is there any rule of thumb about the distance the port has to be from a boundary (or in this case the back wall). Any info or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

Honestly, like my towers with multiple ports, each speaker/sub is different. I spent a couple of hours just moving my speakers forwards and backwards until I found the right placement. All I can recommend is start with a baseline distance and play some music, sit in your spot and listen. Then start to move it in and out maybe a half inch at a time til it sounds right. It's all about fiddling until you find the magic spot.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Oh OK. I read somewhere online,can't remember were, but it said to place the port about the same distance from the wall as the diameter of the port itself...example if the port is 4 inches in diameter, then place the sub or speaker 4 inches from the wall the port is facing,at minimum...to prevent "port loading". Is there any truth to that?? In any case, I'm gonna try fiddling. Thanks :-).
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

Well I played with the new placement of my f12...4 inches from the rear wall seems to be the spot...or the new spot I should say :-). Suppose what I read online about the "rule of thumb" regarding distance of the rear port from a boundary is true...at least in my case. Thanks for your input nbrowser :-).

Thread Information